PDA

View Full Version : I feel awful

notts
17-07-2012, 11:03 AM
I really do.

I have been speaking with 2 lovely families about childcare. The first one came along, seemed happy with me and requested a trial day. The day before that trial day, the other one came along and signed.

I know I've upset the unsigned family and I have apologised so much. I offered to still look after the child as appreciate short notice etc but she didn't want me to which is understandable. She also said if she had known another family was interested she would have signed without a trial.

I feel awful. Hate letting people down but I guess its part and parcel of it? I don't think I could have handled it any better. Afterall, it was never set that they would sign after the trial and if so I would have passed on one that is closer to home (school) and treble the income. It also means I am full (not full but dont' want anymore)

But I do feel bad.

Pipsqueak
17-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Isn't it NICE to be in demand:D

Little Pickles
17-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi
Glad that you have filled your space with someone who suits you :)

This business is a constant learning curve so if I may offer some advice based on my own experience and practice .....
* Don't commit to anything until you have met parents and child
* Ensure that you talk through your way of working and policies & Procedures to ensure that you can work together
* Always tell prospective parents that you MAY have a space but other people are interested .. this gives you a little bit of space to make decisions that are best for you and your family , and if a better offer comes along ( like has just happened to you ) the parents will be prepared and you won't have to feel guilty.
I can understand you putting your needs first ( you are running a business ) but I would think that the first parents may feel a little guzumped so maybe best to avoid that situation arising again ... after all the best form of advertising is word of mouth :)
I hope this doesn't sound harsh
Good luck :)

nipper
17-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi
Glad that you have filled your space with someone who suits you :)

This business is a constant learning curve so if I may offer some advice based on my own experience and practice .....
* Don't commit to anything until you have met parents and child
* Ensure that you talk through your way of working and policies & Procedures to ensure that you can work together
* Always tell prospective parents that you MAY have a space but other people are interested .. this gives you a little bit of space to make decisions that are best for you and your family , and if a better offer comes along ( like has just happened to you ) the parents will be prepared and you won't have to feel guilty.
I can understand you putting your needs first ( you are running a business ) but I would think that the first parents may feel a little guzumped so maybe best to avoid that situation arising again ... after all the best form of advertising is word of mouth :)
I hope this doesn't sound harsh
Good luck :)

I also don't offer a trial 'morning' until contracts have been signed and first months fees have been paid in full. I think you can get a good enough idea as to what a child will be like from a first meeting i.e. whether or not it will fit in with existing mindees.
I always point out if another family is interested, (to put it bluntly) the first family to pay a month's deposit will secure the place. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to say this, then they will appreciate at the end of the day that it is a business and not your hobby.

wendywu
17-07-2012, 12:58 PM
First come first served, thats life.

But i would not do a trial day for any family that was not under contract :panic:

Bridey
17-07-2012, 01:52 PM

But i would not do a trial day for any family that was not under contract :panic:

Same here - if you don't have all the paperwork (ie permissions, info sheet etc) in place then you are not acting legally and I doubt your insurance would be valid.

Don't feel bad, its the way it goes and its not often it works out to our advantage so make the most of it!

rickysmiths
17-07-2012, 03:38 PM

I was thinking exactly that. I don't do trial Days, I do Settling in when they have signed a Contract and paid their Deposit.

Also if someone has been to see me and then another family comes and they are both interested I always go back to the first family and offer them the chance to sign first.

notts
17-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Re the trial, yes I was uneasy about this for all the reasons mentioned above. But the parent was adamant that I did a trial school run to see if the child would like it. Oh well, that's that, I'm over it

Daftbat
17-07-2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't do a trial without paperwork done either - I call it settling in after we have decided that the place is wanted. there is no commitment on either side as there is normally a cooling off period as I call it - a month where the contract can be cancelled on either side without notice.

It is good to be in demand though - I have someone desperate for me to have her two children after school and just can't do it - she made it plain that no-one else will do - she has apparently been studying me for a while and talked to other people at school!!!!! Just goes to show the other golden rule - always be professional when out and about - apparently she said I get talked about a lot and all good:jump for joy: Its so nice to get good reviews - you only usually hear about the bad bits.

Anyway, went off on a tangent .........keep the details of this other lady on file - you never know if this other contract doesn't work there may be a backup plan for you.:thumbsup:

notts
17-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Well done daftbat:thumbsup:

Just to add to this, I actually know this family on a personal level which is probably why this all occurred and understood on both parts it would be out of contract etc. Trial sessions is not something I would offer for all reasons mentioned here.

For example, the other week I covered another childminders holiday and I was so paranoid re paperwork, insurance etc, I probably over did it haha!