PDA

View Full Version : help for a new childminder

Helen Dempster
17-07-2012, 08:06 AM
hi all

I've recently been helping a lady who wants to become a reg'd childminder. I was speaking to her this morning and she's worried about paying out so much money to get started and then for it not to work out. Apparently she has to pay for her ICP course (it was free when I did mine in '08) plus first aid course and also the lady who took her briefing meeting didn't know anything about a start-up grant or if there was one, what she gets for it.

My question is - has all that changed now, is there nothing free to set up anymore, ie courses/first aid (I know they were talking about charging for first aid but didn't think it had come into effect yet).

Just curious really. We are in Kent.

Thanks all.

Mouse
17-07-2012, 08:17 AM
It does really depend on where you are in the country & what funds your local authority has.

Where I live all funding stopped some time ago. There are no start up grants and all courses have to be paid for, along with registration fees. It's an expensive time, especially when there's no guarantee of work after you've done it all.

christine e
17-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Our LA has stopped all funding and from 1st Sept those wishing to register are being told to expect to have to pay £400 - £500 to get registered, this is for the ICP course, first aid, and doctor's report

Cx

LauraS
17-07-2012, 09:00 AM
There's very little funding here, either. The courses are partly subsidised but that's it. I've still spent a couple of thousand to get to this point and still have plenty of things I need.

There were a couple of people on my initial briefing who were incredulous that they would have to pay anything (and our LA only estimated they would need to spend £200 which I think is a big underestimate) but at the end of the day it's a very cheap business to start up, compare to most.

Shar
17-07-2012, 12:12 PM
We have had to pay for all courses for the last 2 years. When I started childminding there was no such thing as start up grants. People have got used to being given everything free, at the end of the day it is a business and costs money to set up and run. Good luck to your friend:thumbsup: