PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

JumpingJacks
17-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Morning, quick question. I have a variation to allow flexibility from normal days for a parent. Mum asked me last week to change having little one on Wednesday to monday, Monday arrives little ones ill. Mum texts and says I'll just do normal days instead. Ive already made plans for Wednesday now as this was going to be my day off. Mums thinks I should have little one. I am right to say no aren't I? Hate saying no to people!

miffy
17-07-2012, 06:49 AM
It really depends what you agreed with mum - if she changed the day to Monday instead of Wednesday then I would not swop it back just because the child was ill on the Monday, especially if I'd made plans.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
17-07-2012, 06:53 AM
If you have decided to take a day off because mum changed days I would say no.

However it depends on the notice you have set down for this mum to change days if any. If you say you need a min of 24 hours notice of change she has given you that.

Have you given your parents the notice you have in you contract for having occasional days off or is the day off on Wednesday because this parent changed days?

If you have always let this parent change days at the drop of a hat then I think you may have just lost your day off.

JumpingJacks
17-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Contract just states I will be flexible and change days where I (spaces allowing) can at no extra charge. Normal contracted days are tues, weds, Thursday with option to add extra or exchange days. This happened before so have already explained to mum that if she changes days and little one is sick then it still needs to be paid for and if she requires an extra day then it is chargeable. So it's not like its the first time. I don't want any confrontation but also don't want parents to think they can just change their minds to suit them.

JumpingJacks
17-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Prob wasn't clear in original post mum didn't give any notice she just text sunday night to say little one has a temp
So won't be in tomorrow until she has seen docs. Then text Monday morning to say she was fine and she'd keep her at home and just bring her normal days.

Bridey
17-07-2012, 07:05 AM
You've just said it your self - you have contracted to allow an exchange of days. She exchanged to Monday and is now exchanging back to Wednesday. Unless you have a notice period stated in writing then I think you have no option but to honour this - or take a day off yourself. Sorry :(

Personally I would never contract an exchange of days. It may be worth doing a contract review and get a minimum notice period of any changes put in there.

JumpingJacks
17-07-2012, 07:33 AM
You've just said it your self - you have contracted to allow an exchange of days. She exchanged to Monday and is now exchanging back to Wednesday. Unless you have a notice period stated in writing then I think you have no option but to honour this - or take a day off yourself. Sorry :(

Personally I would never contract an exchange of days. It may be worth doing a contract review and get a minimum notice period of any changes put in there.

Just spoke to mum face to face(yesterday was over the phone) have explained why I can't do tomorrow and mum is ok will just swap it for another day somewhere in the holidays. Contracts are due to be reviewed as changing to mm contracts so perfect timing really. Will def be putting notice period in there though. Thanks

Bridey
17-07-2012, 08:06 AM
She sounds a nice mum and I'm glad she was happy to accept that the exchange can work both ways! :)