PDA

View Full Version : Wrist straps

bunyip
14-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a wrist strap device?

Also, do you need a policy or permission to use one?

I have a 4yo who will not walk with me, but runs off ahead whenever we're out. I don't worry too much, as she has good road sense and always stops at the corners. However, mum is concerned and I want to follow her wishes. I must admit that it does rather make me speed up to try and keep pace, as she very occasionally disappears out round a corner, or can be out of earshot due to background noise.

Any tips appreciated.

blue bear
14-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Mine wear the little back packs with rein attached, got mine off eBay think they were called little life.

funemnx
14-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I only use reins - I worry that a child could dislocate something if they fell over and the strap pulled tight and twisted an arm!

I keep my lo's in reins until just before they're 4 (one side strap undone IFSWIM) and threaten to put them back on if they run off (I'm a meany :laughing:)

Sometimes just the threat of going back in (baby) reins is enough to keep them close by :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
14-07-2012, 06:06 PM
I only use reins - I worry that a child could dislocate something if they fell over and the strap pulled tight and twisted an arm!

I keep my lo's in reins until just before they're 4 (one side strap undone IFSWIM) and threaten to put them back on if they run off (I'm a meany :laughing:)

Sometimes just the threat of going back in (baby) reins is enough to keep them close by :thumbsup:

I do that with the reins strap too. My 3 1/2yr old mindee very quickly learnt to stay with me :) he knows the rules:thumbsup:

Smiley
14-07-2012, 06:20 PM
I have only ever used reins and children have been used to them from being babies. I don't like wrist straps, I have also heard about potential dislocations and depending on the type some children can undo the Velcro fastener. I think reins are particularly useful with very young ones many occasions when they trip and I have stopped them falling, mind you my poor fingers get yanked :)

nokidshere
14-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Personally I think the dog leads that pull out and retract would be the best idea - you can rein them back when they get too far in front :laughing:

Failing that I always use either wrist staps or reins.

cathtee
14-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I have only ever used reigns, although i wish they would be a little longer to give lo a bit more room if i have two hands on the buggy while hold the reigns

mushpea
14-07-2012, 07:35 PM
love the retracable dog lead idea :laughing:

mine are giving places to run to so you can run to the tree then stop and wait or the lampost or bush or wall or whatever is there, if they dont stop either at that point or when the are asked they are made to hold the buggy for a short time then we try again,, if they wont hold the buggy then its on with the reins or wrist strap.
I also tell them they must stay where they can see me at all times as generaly if they can see me then I can see them.
my wrist straps came of ebay but amazon do them or boots used too.

lisa1968
14-07-2012, 08:18 PM
got mine from Wilkinson..

....reins are better but, at 4, they could be a bit babyish.

jumping j
15-07-2012, 05:46 AM
I got my reins from amazon, the 'lead' bit is detachble so can be used as a wrist restraint or as reins.

I've always said I need a couple of retractable dog leads for my lot :laughing::laughing:

miffy
15-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Must admit I don't like reins either and have never used a wrist strap. Young children either hold my hand or the buggy. By 4 years old, mostly, they are able to walk alongside but any running off and they are back to holding the buggy or worse, have the reins on - perhaps doing that for a bit would cure the problem?

Miffy xx

The Juggler
15-07-2012, 07:44 AM
def reins rather than wrist straps but I'm lucky and haven't used either since my dd was small (8 years ago). All of my children have been so good at walking. I've had a few 'moments' with a few of them but the threat of the reins is enough to deter them usually. They all hold onto the buggy handle or frame with me.

winstonian
15-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I bought wrist straps from ebay - very cheap. I looped them through the Phil and Teds handle and then have 1 child either side of me and they just hold onto the end of the strap. So it is not a restraint but works really well. I found if they tried to hold onto the handle they tripped over the wheels.

Helen79
15-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't use reins for a 4 year old, mine just hold my hand or hold onto the pushchair. If I've got a child who might start running off and won't listen I might take reins with me just in case but they all learn from an early age that they need to hold on.
If she's struggling with learning to walk with you and not listening and you've got the buggy then a handle (http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_933_10751_-1_21176_123219_10001_14605) might help.

sweets
15-07-2012, 08:36 AM
i avoid using either! i do have a couple of wriststraps attached to my phil and teds for the walkers to hold onto but i wouldnt fasten them round wrists.

A 4 year old should definatly not need either! unless special needs of course.

I look after 3 three year olds and they either hold the straps on the pram or my hand or if on quiet roads i let them all walk just in front of the pram together, they love that and it gives them a bit of independance. I can trust them all and they know how to behave with me as ive had them all since being babies.

If i took on a child that was a 'runner' then i would use reins as a threat but i expect that would only have to be done once or twice.

I used to know a childminder that walked around the local town with a 3 year old and 2 4yr olds on reins all the time, it looked ridiculous and im sure was humiliating for the children.

blue bear
15-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I used to know a childminder that walked around the local town with a 3 year old and 2 4yr olds on reins all the time, it looked ridiculous and im sure was humiliating for the children.

that was probably me, mine all wear reins or bag with rein until they go to school, I start them young, the children always ask to put them on. I had one tell me it was not fair she didn't wear reins when she started school, no its not humiliating for them, they like them.

watgem
15-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I have the little life back packs I bought off ebay the little ones love them because they don't look like reins but they give us the security we sometimes need without damaging self esteem iyswim?

hectors house
15-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I have only ever used reigns, although i wish they would be a little longer to give lo a bit more room if i have two hands on the buggy while hold the reigns

I have undone the walking rein from one side of the harness and have tied it onto the buggy - that way my hands are free and the children can walk beside buggy without getting run over. I have a pair of reins tied to both sides of buggy - even if older children aren't wearing them properly they know that they need to hold onto the straps when we are crossing a road.

Sweetpea
16-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I've always thought a sheepdog would be a good solution :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
16-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I use little life backpacks once a child is a confident walker but before that they wear reins as they're easier to stop them from hitting the floor if they trip.

I also have wrist straps fixed to the buggy handles for the bigger ones to old on to. I've had resort to using a wrist strap on a 4 year old who persisted to run into roads etc (the child was too big for the back packs and the reins but needed to be safe...

I don't think my mindees are humiliated by them, I doubt they would toddle off chanting "back bags" or "reins" and grab them for me to put on when it was time to go to school if they hated them.