PDA

View Full Version : What do you do on a wet day/afternoon with mixed ages?

MrsP2C
14-07-2012, 10:11 AM
As the title says really, I'm wondering what sort of things you all do both for the shorter period after school and full days during the holidays when you have a large group and/or a wide age-range of children & it's too wet to go outside for any length of time.

I've managed to borrow a few children from friends over the holidays (nearly got knocked down in the rush when I offered free childcare :D) as aside from my 2 children having the odd friend round, I've not had much experience caring for larger mixed groups & really want the children to enjoy themselves plus feel better equipped to cope once I'm ready to start charging.

Any suggestions much appreciated and a rough idea of how a busy day in the school holidays looks for you would be a real bonus :thumbsup:
MrsP2C

Ripeberry
14-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Pull your hair out and scream a silent scream deep inside? :eek::panic:

This is the reason I only do term-time only...sorry not much help am I? :littleangel:

MrsP2C
14-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Pull your hair out and scream a silent scream deep inside? :eek::panic:

This is the reason I only do term-time only...sorry not much help am I? :littleangel:

LOL (no help at all :D)

lisa1968
14-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Obviously you need activities to suit all ages!

Playdough is a hit with most kids;just adapt it for ages eg I give the older kids plastic knives and scissors.

baking is a hit too-from fairy cakes,rice crispie cakes and flapjacks,to just decorating plain biscuits with icing and other bits and pieces.And they can eat the end product;)

I collect collage stuff all the time-cotton wool,wood shavings,pencil shavings,beads,buttons-just about everything.Then i put it all on the table along with pots of glue,paper,paper plates and A4 card.Keeps them busy for hours!

Junk modelling

I also raid the pound shops and the works-they do pretty good craft sets and bits and pieces.Baker ross and hobbycraft do some great craft sets-theyre a bit more pricey,but worth it for the peace and quiet.

I enjoy the school hols-so nice to be able to use the stuff Ive got without watching the clock!

Have fun!!:)

caz3007
14-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Get yourself on crafty crocodiles and order a catalogue, they are brilliant and much cheaper and you can buy in smaller quantities than baker ross etc. I let my DS have the catalogue and he ticked off things he wanted, and a box of bits arrived the other day ready for the holidays.