PDA

View Full Version : A nice suprise

Penny1959
13-07-2012, 01:44 PM
As some of you know when I left NCMA I joined the Pre -school Learning Alliance as my membership association.

Since then I have become more involved and recently agreed to help form a steering committee to re launch the Worcestershire branch of the Alliance.

At first it looked like it was going to be very similar to my previous volunteering roles with NCMA - but it is now clear that I am involved in something completely different - and it is all good news so far.

At the meeting only 2 people steped forward - myself and 1 other. We met to discuss things and emailed the 'Worcestershire' member of staff to express our concerns at how much two people could achieve.

I have now had several email responses - all in the space of ONE week

Q. What do we have to do?
A, Up to you - what is your vision ?- how do you think things should be done? what services would you like to offer?

Q. We really need a mentor - we do not not have enough time or pre-school group experience
A. (within a couple of days) Here is the contact details of someone willing to be your mentor

Q. How can we recruit a pre school practitioner to join us?
A. This person has responded to my email for committee members - she run an Alliance nursery

Q. Do we have a budget to cover volunteer expenses?
A (today) I am pleased to tell you Worcestershire's budget has been approved! You have £8,600 for the rest of the financial year 12 - 13. This is mainly to pay for a part time worker(one day a week, a Worcestershire website - and of course volunteer expenses

And if that was not enough

I have the services of one of the Alliance paid staff to check all the contact details of Alliance members ahead of the part time worker taking up post.

Not my expereience of volunteering at all - a very nice change - let's hope it continues this way.

Penny :)

sarah707
13-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Penny that all sounds brilliant!! I am so pleased it is working out for you :clapping:

miffy
13-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Well done Penny - it sounds like you're really making a difference! :)

Miffy xx

Mouse
13-07-2012, 07:02 PM
How wonderful :clapping::clapping:

I'm sure you're going to help make a lot of difference to a lot of people :D

md0u0131
13-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Fabulous :clapping:

I am now off to google pre-school learning allinace as I have never heard of them :blush:

Penny1959
13-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Fabulous :clapping:

I am now off to google pre-school learning allinace as I have never heard of them :blush:

Hope you found out the info - as you will have seen they have been around for 50 years - although have changed name in that time. They have always welcomed childminder members but up to now have not considered offering childminder services

At the moment there are only a few(but growing number) childminder members (although some childminding groups are also members) They (The Alliance) are going to be ofering a specific childminder membership soon but in the meantime childminders can join for £35 per year - however please note this does not include insurance. Once the childminder specific membership is available (it is the insurance side of things that is causing the dela) all those who have the temporary membership will be transfered to the specific membership.

I have met in person with Neil Leitch their CE and he is VERY keen to get it right and offer the sort of membership services that childminders want and need.

If you want any further information please PM me

Penny :)