PDA

View Full Version : My first bill query

JCrakers
13-07-2012, 09:44 AM
I've been minding for 5yrs and never had any problems with money. I always make it clear from the start that payment isn't paid for my holidays and illness but is payable for parents own holidays and time off,child illness

It's always worked really well because I hate talking about money.

So holidays coming up and schoolies have booked days over August. One child has been booked in for 3days full days a week since march/April. Mum was very organised.
She came to me last week and said she's booked him into a group. dad will drop him at mine at 8am and then someone will pick him up from mine at 8.40 and drop him back at 1230pm.
I've still charged her the full day and I don't think she was expecting it. But I have to be ready for him at 8am and ready to receive him back at 12.30 and it was also short notice...
Would everyone else have charged too?

Also she's got the last week of summer hols off and doesn't need any care but on the thurs they are back at school so contracted hrs start again. So even though he isnt coming I've charged her for that school day.
I had a text this morning asking if she can take the 3 hrs off the bill because he won't be coming. I texted back and explained because they are back at school then it's back to contracted hrs...
Oh dear :blush:

But I do have to keep my business head on. If I allowed everyone to have days off then I wouldn't have a very sustainable business :blush:

blue bear
13-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Refer her back to the contract , what does it say for holidays?
Mine are all term time only contracts and I only do holidays if it fits with me but once poked must be paid for as I might have turned other work away to hold their place.

I charge for school days if they come or not.

Bridey
13-07-2012, 09:50 AM
You have done exactly what I would do. If the place is contracted then you pay for it - whether you use it or not. I have on my contracts for my TTO mindees that chargeable contracted hours are determined by the county school calender published each year. If they booked the holiday places, again they pay for them. They either want the day or they don't, if they do they pay for it. They should be grateful for the fact that you are prepared to be hanging around at home while they come and go as they please.

JCrakers
13-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Refer her back to the contract , what does it say for holidays?
Mine are all term time only contracts and I only do holidays if it fits with me but once poked must be paid for as I might have turned other work away to hold their place.

I charge for school days if they come or not.

Same.. Term time only contracts for schoolies with adhoc holidays. When they are booked in their booked in. It's all clear so I don't know why shes expecting money back :rolleyes:

samb
13-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Well done for sticking to your fee policy. I find it really hard. I think you are totally right though that they have booked the days, it makes it difficult for you to go out with the others due to this time out from you and therefore yes you should charge.

Tatjana
13-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I had this a couple of weeks back, not wanting to pay when they were on holiday and even saying she had asked me whether they had to pay and I said "no". Well I put them straight on that, I explained this at initial meeting, it's in the contract, it's in my policy and I know my business so would never say they didn't have to pay. Then she went on to say they hadn't bothered to read everything...:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
13-07-2012, 04:08 PM
I would do the same as you.

I think the thing is that like us all parents are counting every penny now, times are very hard across the board so they are looking at the detail far more than they would have done 2 years ago. She probably thought she would be saving money by using the club and not asking you to do the delivery and collection.

cathtee
13-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I do exactly the same, I had a 6 yr old last year that only came during the hols, 3 days a week. He started to go to football club and I still charged then mom asked if he carried on going would she have to pay to keep the place open, when I told her yes she decided to terminate the contract giving the 4 weeks notice saying that if she needed me again could he come. to which I replied "yes of course, IF I have a space" not heard from her since.

Never mind I have filled the place:clapping: