PDA

View Full Version : A new puppy in the home....

J33CFC
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I wondered if anyone has any hints or tips they can pass on as we are taking charge of a new puppy for the first time and want to make the transition as smooth as possible for family [me!], mindees and reassuring parents at the same time? Thanks

Pipsqueak
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Lots of stairgates and crate training - for the dogs wellbeing and comfort !!

Set of clear rules for the kids to follow - the dog is a dog, a living breathing creature - not a toy
puppy is a baby and needs training and sleep
teach the kids the signs of a happy dog, grumpy dog and so on...

enjoy!!

(we have puppy number 2 - dog 3 at the moment....)

miffy
12-07-2012, 02:33 PM
You could write some information for parents - where the puppy will eat, sleep, feed, do it's business etc; how their child will be taught to wash their hands after playing with the puppy, learn to respect animals and how to look after them etc. Include a photo or two of puppy (bound to win the parents over :D).

Miffy xx

adele1985
12-07-2012, 04:41 PM
i would deffently get a crate to put the puppy in when it cant be supervised.... i made the mistake of not putting my 2 in crates and just left them in the utility room wen i couldent supervise them.... i now have a utility room with boarded up walls and floor where they have ate it

mine are both older now so have the run on the house and just sleep most of the day

AliceK
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Definitely agree with the crate. I didn't use one with my old dog but did with my new dog, he loves it. It's his little santuary. I teach all the kids including my own that when he's in there we leave him alone, it's his space. My dog (1 yr old now) spends most of my working day in the kitchen / snug area as he is still very bouncy when he's excited.

Don't forget to post a pic when you get yours.

xxxx

J33CFC
12-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Ah thanks for helpful and reassuring advice. Have ordered a crate [on the heads up on the utility room, which was my original plan..phew!] and got stair gate on playroom/kitchen in place tonight!!! and pup will now be in the kitchen which i like.. Love the idea of including little pics for the parents, think they will appreciate that. :thumbsup:

Tks again all, feel a more relaxed and can look forward to welcoming new puppy x x x x

hectors house
13-07-2012, 12:20 PM
We might want to see a photo too! What breed is it, has it got a name yet and when is it arriving? Would recommend you bring it home on a weekend so it can get used to you and it's surroundings - just like settling in a new child (other than Ofsted get funny if you keep them in a crate all day)!:laughing:

Rubybubbles
13-07-2012, 12:58 PM
aww yeah, congratulations on your new puppy:clapping: mine is now 16 weeks:eek: my little baby growing up so fast heehee!

I have a stair gate across my kitchen (which opens into my dining room/play room area) where the dog sleeps in her bed, she will take herself off to bed when had enough. I only started childminding again this week:clapping: and she has been brilliant, pinching a few toys:rolleyes: but very calm with the children, although I was prepared to keep her in kitchen all the time when working, now only when I need to pop to loo or she needs a rest (after walks, baby trying to eat her;))

have fun, and post pics

Jiorjiina
13-07-2012, 11:44 PM
From personal current experience:

Remember that your puppy will be interested in exactly the same things as the other babies you look after.

Today, my puppy (now 4 1/2 months old) has had a lovely rummage through my treasure baskets, mouthed half my cookie cutters, run off to the garden/his crate with a load of my cuddly toys and then curled up and fell asleep under the activity centre (after having a thoughtful chew of all the dangly bits).

Also be aware that the babies you look after will be interested in exactly the same things as your puppy.

While said puppy was into all the human baby things, all my 8 month old mindee wanted to play with today was the dog's rawhide chew bone thingy, the manky chewed plant pots, and a very gnawed roasted bone. And he kept trying to crawl into the dog crate.

Mindee and dog are very fond of each other and mindees parents are thankfully very laid back about it. I, however am now a nervous wreck.

wendywu
14-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Has he arrived yet?

I think it's lovely for children and animals to grow up together. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to have a cuddle. Hope he's not as much of a pickle as twinkles dog miffy. Twinkles DD baked a lovely birthday cake for her boyfriend, then left it out in the kitchen. Guess who ate it :laughing: