PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions please

jumping j
12-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Bit of a long one sorry...
when I starting minding a friend asked my to have her lo ad hoc, this was fine as I was just starting up and had the space.
6 months later she had a baby and asked me to have both ad hoc, older lo was at nursery so mornings only and baby all day.
she has now changed her job and needs care 4 days a week.
she wanted to keep an ad hoc contract so that if grandparents wanted the lo's (mainly the older one as baby is hard work) they could without having to pay for the childcare
for the first month this was fine, I had baby for the 4 days and older brother as and when.
Since then, the children have been ill on and off for a total of 4 weeks and been with grandparents for 2 weeks (in a 3 month period) which has made me realise how much money it's costing me keeping the spaces open.
Mum let's me know the night before (sometimes the morning of) if I'm having the lo's
I'm currently turning away business, I don't want to terminate the contract but want to remind them that as an ad hoc contract they run the risk of me not having a place at such short notice. I'm happy to keep having the lo's but have 2 families wanting part time care that I could fit in around my other families, I'll still have a space on some days but not every day
I don't want to sound too harsh but I need to get my business head on!

Any suggestions on how to word a letter?

Kiddleywinks
12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Dear Parent

I am writing to you with regard to your current ad hoc contract.
As you know this type of contract means if I have available spaces I am able to care for your children at short notice.

I am writing to offer you first refusal in changing our current contract into a more permanent one, prior to taking on a set of new parents whose required times would mean that I may no longer have spaces on all the days I know you tend to use.

If I have not received confirmation by xx date, I shall assume you wish to continue with the current agreement subject to availability

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me

Any good? :thumbsup:

jumping j
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Dear Parent

I am writing to you with regard to your current ad hoc contract.
As you know this type of contract means if I have available spaces I am able to care for your children at short notice.

I am writing to offer you first refusal in changing our current contract into a more permanent one, prior to taking on a set of new parents whose required times would mean that I may no longer have spaces on all the days I know you tend to use.

If I have not received confirmation by xx date, I shall assume you wish to continue with the current agreement subject to availability

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me

Any good? :thumbsup:

ooo that sounds good and official thank you :thumbsup:

sarah707
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I only do ad hoc care if ... I have the space AND if... I can afford it because I have plenty of other children already here to pay the bills.

If the ad hoc is a bit of extra then fine - if the child is taking up a space and I need to offer it elsewhere then that will have been explained to parents at the outset.

I think you need a parent meeting to chat through the options with them :D

miffy
12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
If she is a friend I would talk to her rather than put it in writing.

Explain that now you are busier you cannot guarantee that there will always be a space available for her children unless she books (and pays for) those spaces on a permanent contract. If she still wants ad-hoc then you need to say you will do your best but you may not always have the space available.

Wonder what the case for a variation would be from September for this scenario? Say this parent decided to stick to ad-hoc care, you take on another part-timer and then this parent needs care on a day that you are full - could you then grant yourself a variation for that day (assuming you didn't exceed 6 under 8)?

Miffy xx

Bridey
12-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Wonder what the case for a variation would be from September for this scenario? Say this parent decided to stick to ad-hoc care, you take on another part-timer and then this parent needs care on a day that you are full - could you then grant yourself a variation for that day (assuming you didn't exceed 6 under 8)?

Miffy xx

To have an ad hoc contract sets the expectation that you would say 'no' to going over your numbers. Can't see a variation being justified myself.

miffy
12-07-2012, 03:06 PM
To have an ad hoc contract sets the expectation that you would say 'no' to going over your numbers. Can't see a variation being justified myself.

I don't see it as any different to any other child who comes say Tuesday and Wednesday but then needs care on Thursday - if you are within your 6 under 8 why couldn't you have them?

Miffy xx

Bridey
12-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't see it as any different to any other child who comes say Tuesday and Wednesday but then needs care on Thursday - if you are within your 6 under 8 why couldn't you have them?

Miffy xx

Because at the moment the places are available. The only way they won't become available is by taking on new business. Also if you had a child that came Tues & Wed and then wanted Thurs then that would be a proper contract, subject to a variation. Ad hoc contracts aren't subject to variation - they are subject to availability. Otherwise what is stopping me making all my contacts 'ad hoc' and then taking on 6 x under 1's every day (apart from my sanity!!)?