PDA

View Full Version : How many childminders in your area?

Tatjana
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I always knew my area had alot of childminders, but didn't realise just how saturated it is, there are 65 childminders in my postcode, which isn't a huge area either :eek: When I think about it I'm amazed I've got any mindees!!

Tatjana
11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
I always knew my area had alot of childminders, but didn't realise just how saturated it is, there are 65 childminders in my postcode, which isn't a huge area either :eek: When I think about it I'm amazed I've got any mindees!!

Actually there are probably more, these are the ones that currently have vacancies!

Bananabrain
11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I think I could probably name about 50. Probably about 30 that are in my immediate area. Actually that's alot isn't it?
There not all as fab as me though:laughing:

Ballette
11-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Wow that's a lot! :eek:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
About 15 I think but may have missed some.

mushpea
11-07-2012, 08:06 PM
there are 7 on my estate alone and thats only of the ones I know about. I have a parent visiting tomoro who is booked in to visit 8 childminders in total spread acrross our town.
i hate to think how many there are:eek:

loocyloo
11-07-2012, 08:09 PM
2 in my small town, 3 or 4 in another local small town 10/15mins away, 2 or 3 in another small local town ( also 10/15mins away, but in opposite direction! ) and probably half a dozen or so scattered about the countryside. or so i believe! i've met the minders from the other towns, but not the scattered about ones :D oh and there might be another half dozen in the big (ish;)) town about 20 mins drive away!

cathtee
11-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I have one at the bottom of my garden, and there are maybe 10 others in a half mile radius and more further out but I am full and the others are busy so work is spread evenly:)

md0u0131
11-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm the only one in our village but it's a small village. There's a few more in town - 20ish maybe.

funemnx
11-07-2012, 08:36 PM
There are 7 in our village and 4 are actively looking to fill their spaces, 1 is pregnant and not looking for new work, 2 of us are full :thumbsup:

LauraS
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM
There is an odd distribution of cm's in my town - according to FIS there are nearly 200 cm's in the borough. Population of borough 300,000. In my town there are 13 cm's, population 140000. So a very small proportion of the cm's for almost half the population of the borough.

Most cms at my end of town appear to be full.

WibbleWobble
11-07-2012, 09:01 PM
19 in a 1 mile radius from me....

mandy xx

lisa1968
11-07-2012, 09:14 PM
4 in my immediate area-and only 3 of us go to the local school.Good news for us cos we are always full...bad news for those in the area who need childcare!

Ripeberry
12-07-2012, 05:53 AM
I've been reviewing my policies and thought that I'd check out the local competition because I wanted to increase my fees as well. Last year there were four pages of CMs for my postcode now its gone down to only two! :eek:
But it does seem to be picking up. Our local after school club is closing for good next week and the illegal CM at my school is leaving as well.
But in reality I only have one under 5yr old space as I'm still limited to how many I can get in my car (you HAVE to drive around here).

Maybe I should get a minibus? :rolleyes:

Bluebell
12-07-2012, 07:04 AM
wow how amazing that it is so different - 65 childminders sounds a huge amount - do you live in a town/city?
There are 12 in my town and 4 in neighbouring villages. 1 or 2 only work part-time or have a day off in the week though. I have spaces to fill from September but generally all the childminders are very busy and have to have variations to accommodate siblings and continuity of care because there is just no childcare alternative. The nursery is full and has a waiting list and has 8 spaces for under 2's I think.

JCrakers
12-07-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm guessing that we have about 30-40. I live I a town which has around 21,000 people so I suppose the ratio is quite good.

Problem is though that the local childminding group which I'm not part of runs a vacancy list and I have been on it in the past but the vacancy leader takes all the jobs first then down to her friends because ive not had a phonecall for over 18m and whenever i see the childminders they always have three children with them :blush: I never got a look in even though you have to pay to be on it.

So I have to compete with it which is really hard.

nikki thomson
12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Oh millions..... Well alot anyway. X

Bushpig
12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I have one at the bottom of my garden, and there are maybe 10 others in a half mile radius and more further out but I am full and the others are busy so work is spread evenly:)

Shame, you should invite her in for tea! She'll be getting rained on no doubt! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Monkey26
12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
At least 48 :( one lives a stone throw away from me as well!

Tatjana
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
wow how amazing that it is so different - 65 childminders sounds a huge amount - do you live in a town/city?
There are 12 in my town and 4 in neighbouring villages. 1 or 2 only work part-time or have a day off in the week though. I have spaces to fill from September but generally all the childminders are very busy and have to have variations to accommodate siblings and continuity of care because there is just no childcare alternative. The nursery is full and has a waiting list and has 8 spaces for under 2's I think.

I'm in outer London.

Gherkin
12-07-2012, 12:24 PM
In the housing development where I am based there are about 25 childminders to about 2500 homes.

Tatjana
12-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm guessing that we have about 30-40. I live I a town which has around 21,000 people so I suppose the ratio is quite good.

Problem is though that the local childminding group which I'm not part of runs a vacancy list and I have been on it in the past but the vacancy leader takes all the jobs first then down to her friends because ive not had a phonecall for over 18m and whenever i see the childminders they always have three children with them :blush: I never got a look in even though you have to pay to be on it.

So I have to compete with it which is really hard.

What a bunch of witches they are.:angry:

Bluebell
12-07-2012, 09:06 PM
j crakers - thats shameful! I hope you can advertise somewhere else and steal all the customers! Get a website or advertise on FB - I added everyone in my town to my childminding page on FB and now if anyone is asking for a childminder they tag me. If there is a local event everyone is talking about I add a comment and everyone can see I am a childminder because I added the word childminder to my profile. Also if anyone googles childcare in my town my website comes up first. All the childminders here are well known and have excellent reputations and as a newbie my name is the last on 'the' list so like you I needed to do something to stand out a bit. x