PDA

View Full Version : Garden Steps

BusyKids
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM
We have 2 steps down to our garage, do we need to fence them off/put a gate up?

Bridey
11-07-2012, 04:08 PM
It all depends really. How steep are they, how wide are they, is the child likely to fall down them or ride a toy off the edge etc. I have two wooden steps from my decking to my lawn but I had them altered to make them wide and shallow and there is a soft grass landing at the bottom. If someone fell down them the fall would be less than if they fell off my sofa onto my wooden floor so I didn't consider them as big a risk. Steep concrete steps would be more of a risk.

Rebecca Foster
11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
It would depend on how big the risk is of them falling down the steps ( Risk assessments) :)
Hope this helps

The Juggler
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
i have two steps from my patio to my garden, not steep but tricky as easy to drop straight off the top of the ledge rather than down the steps, fairly rough edges and made of concrete.

I see them as a learning tool. Teh kids learn how to get up and down safely i.e. use the 2 steps not jump or walk off the top, not to ride toys down but to get off, carry them down and then get back on. They learn how to negotiate them when first walking or crawling, getting up then down with help, then alone.

Great teaching about safety tool and great for physical development and confidence. Don't fence them off just as long as you can supervise to a level you are happy with :thumbsup:

md0u0131
11-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Like the others have said it depends how big and where. I have two steps out of the conservatory into the garden but they are wide and even the little ones are taught to get down them carefully. I have risk assessed them saying they will be used under supervision, kept clear of obstructions and have some rubber matting down at the bottom.

BusyKids
12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks! They aren't near the general play area so wouldn't need to be used or be a temptation as they are not overly visable. They aren't steep either.

What about fromt door steps? We do have some quite steep ones going up the porch. Would they expect me to do anything about those?