PDA

View Full Version : How would you do it?? (lengthy)

LittleLegsCM
11-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm struggling a bit with one of my EY's (2.5) learning journal so hoping someone here will have some advice.

So, I have him Mon- Friday HOWEVER! I only have him 7-9&4-5 Monday, 7-9 & 2.15-5tues,weds, thurs & 9-1friday! The 7-9 mornings we can't obviously do any activities as its too early & then theres breakfast, get ready, school run. Same as 2.15-5 he gets dropped off, we leave for school run not long after then once we get back it's dinner- desert- home! The only time we really get to actually do anything properly is Friday 9(when we get back from school run) &12.30(when we leave to take him nursery) so basically 3hours once you take lunch away as well!

Unfortunately he refuses to join in with anything like reading, role playing with the toys, won't (cant) talk not even when it comes to making animal noises/saying names. Basically, unless it's ramming cars into things or banging on toys he really isn't interested and just 'ers' at me in an aggressive kind of way (as if to tell me to go away)

I have a few bits of art and a few photos from outings & soft play in his LJ but apart from that it's basically empty :( I feel so bad when my other EYs have a very colourful/busy LJ (as in the amount in it) but his hasn't and I want to put lots of positive things in it but when I've spent since April tackling a biting 'phase' (mums words) a hitting & pushing 'phase' and now a pinching 'phase', it's really difficult :(

How 'full' should a LJ be (under eyfs rules) between now & April? Should i still be trying to do things during our 7-9 slot?? With such little time and a child that really is not interested in anything unless its destruction or pain I'm really finding filling it in hard :(

mama2three
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
LJs can be full of 'non-activity' observations. Im sure there are lots of things you can say about his routine - self help skills such as getting his shoes on , pouring milk on his cereal , likes and dislikes such as food , favourite toys , school run can be made into an activity , looking for red cars or green doors or numbers , cats , whatever! Speak to mum and nursery and note their responses - it will 'pad out' the lj and also show partnership working - as well as giving some ideas of things he likes to do that you can follow up on.

LittleLegsCM
11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
LJs can be full of 'non-activity' observations. Im sure there are lots of things you can say about his routine - self help skills such as getting his shoes on , pouring milk on his cereal , likes and dislikes such as food , favourite toys , school run can be made into an activity , looking for red cars or green doors or numbers , cats , whatever! Speak to mum and nursery and note their responses - it will 'pad out' the lj and also show partnership working - as well as giving some ideas of things he likes to do that you can follow up on.

See this is my issue, I've spoken to mum a few times about it, she's just as interested as him lol. I normally just get shrugged shoulders or not answers as sUch, just distracted talk (if that makes sense). His key worker at nursery has the same issues, she says she struggles like me to get any interaction from him unless it's 'ugg' or 'er' and no suggestions from mum (it's taken them 2 weeks-so far- just to get an asthma pump for him after he ended up in hospital & being diagnosed! That's how interested she seems about him!)

I try doing the little things you mention like pointing out different colour cars or I'll say can you find a tree? Can you see the dog? What colour is the bus Etc but I just get 'urgh!' or he'll point to a car and say ugh so ill respond with is that a car #? Can you say car? And get the same response :(

He refuses try & put his own shoes on with me as mum takes them off when he arrives & puts them on when she collects (after I've spent 5/10mins trying to get him to attempt it & ends up throwing a tantrum and throwing his shoes at me) I know he gets 'babied' at home as his older brother tells me what's been happening with him at home.

His older brother has ADHD but mum is adamant LO hasnt got it as well.

blue bear
11-07-2012, 02:44 PM
How do you get on with nursery, I take copies of their lj's and put them in mine in date order show it shows the whole child and means I can take next steps from things he does there as well as with me.

Nothing wrong with observing how lo needs help putting shoes on and linking it to eyfs, this will show parent where any possible delays might be.

Each week you could do a plan of home sheet, eg. We are working on self care can xxx try putting on his shoes himself. Whether mum is on board or not it shows you are trying to work with the family and then when problems are possibly identified in the future you can show how you tried to engage family into working on it.