PDA

View Full Version : Becoming accredited-Moans and groans

JCrakers
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Long sorry but need to vent :(
I don't know if this is supposed to be in this area or members area but at this moment in time I couldn't give a hoot.

Ive written about this over the last few months and after changing my mind over it have decided to go for it. I have a 3yr old who was entitled to free hours since Easter. Mum wants to keep her here as I offer everything. The family have been with me since I started minding in 2007. Mum doesn't want to put her in a nursery and I'm going to struggle with a preschool drop off.

In my initial meeting in January it was mentioned that I would have to do a business plan which was a complete waste of time. It was aimed at nurseries/preschools so I decided I wasn't doing it. Mum said she would lose her 15hrs but that didn't matter. Now she has decided its silly to lose out on the money so I decided to do the stupid business plan and I put my head down and got it done. It was a generic plan for all which made me cross. I filled a third of it in and was told it was good.

Then my initial question was 'Will it be anymore paperwork?' I was told no.

So yesterday I had a visit from an Improvement advisor who went through my paperwork and policies
I have little tweaks here and there:
On the form I initially give to parents I have to add a box to ask them if they have PR. (parental responsibility)
I have to add a bit about SEN in my policies
I have to extend my Safeguarding policy and add telephone numbers and contact details
I have to add the mobile phone stuff which I was going to do anyway
All pretty straight forward and I did these last night.

Then she went on to the heavy stuff....:panic:
My RA's are written down room for room so Ofsted can see what I have done to make the house safe and what i do. I also have written risk assessments for places I go like the library, parks etc but this wasnt good enough. She asked if I did daily RA's to which I replied I do but not written down. I do them in my head throughout the day obviously. So she wanted me to make a laminated sheet with daily assesments on so when I get up in a morning I can take the sheet round the house and tick off with a board pen each thing as I check it....:rolleyes:

Then she looked at my LJ's and said they were very good and very full, good linking to 6 areas and good next steps. Good observations and linking, but I have to add -
1. A space for parents to write comments (which is what the diaries are used for but it seems I have to ask the parents if I can copy comments they make in the diary and add it to LJ)
2. I have to share the LJ's with the children, keeping them available for the children to access and then add comments of what they said when shared
3. Written planning for each child (something I don't do as I don't have time)
4. I have to give parents ideas and info of what they can do with their children at the weekend and then parents can add this to the LJ
5. About me sheets sent home at regular intervals for parents to fill in so I can plan around their interests of what they have done at home
6. A plan of action showing where I intend to improve over the year. A monthly plan of what I intend to buy, what I need to buy and how it will benefit the children

And quite a bit more that I cant remember, she's putting it into an email later.
So from my initial meeting of 'no more paperwork' I seemed to be swamped with extra stuff and instead of concentrating on the 3 mindees I've got this morning Iv'e got a banging headache and all i can think about is
'How the hell am I going to manage all of this as well as working 50hrs a week looking after 15 children, 2 of my own, housework, cooking, kids homework'
I'm so overwhelemed I could cry
I went into this job because I love children and I'm beginning to hate it. I could quite easily give in today. This is ridiculous... absolutely and utterly.

I get £3.50 per child. I get no sick or holiday pay, no pension, most of the time I'm so lonely because I dont see an adult all day. I do everything for these children, I work my fingers to the bone. Sometimes i'm so tired I'm lying in bed at 6.30pm. I go to toddler group and talk to parents who think I babysit and just play all day. Then I hear people moaning about the price of childcare and it makes me wonder why do I do this?

I think I'm going to have to break the news (again) to Mum this evening that I just cant manage this. Not only do I feel like a complete failure but im going to lose my 3yr old to a nursery because I cant keep on top of the paperwork. :(

loocyloo
11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
oh my goodness,

big hugs to you, thats seems alot of work.

my LA don't require that i do any more than i do already, apart from the odd monitoring form! ( which i do when they email it to me :blush: )

Pipsqueak
11-07-2012, 09:37 AM
you are NOT a failure at all

what they are asking of you is unrealistic - our LA doesn't ask that and tbh I just nod and agree most of the time when something ridiculous comes up

I am a home based setting and therefore I demand that they treat me as one

you are NOT NOT NOT a failure

get the parent to help you complain about the procedure....

don't get disheartened - get mad and then even!

nipper
11-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Blimey what an unrealistic extra burden. I am just beginning the accreditation process (again like you, so a current 3yr old mindee can attend extra hours) but I would really not be happy if I was told I would have to do all that extra work...it just seems ridiculously stupid and unreasonable. I will be having a home visit from my local team within the month and will be ready to argue the toss if told I have to do above and beyond what I was originally told.
The sad/bad thing is, as other posters have said, there doesn't seem to be any uniformity amongst the local authorities. It really is a post code 'lottery' as to the extent you have to go to (or not).
Poor you!

Pixie dust
11-07-2012, 11:10 AM
The sad/bad thing is, as other posters have said, there doesn't seem to be any uniformity amongst the local authorities. It really is a post code 'lottery' as to the extent you have to go to (or not).

Our area seems to be upping their requirements every year...I have just received the renewel form for this year and they have added more policies to the list some I don't have so will be writing them at the week end plus we have to do 24 hours/ 4 days training a year plus the SENCO has to do extra training well as a childminder thats my role too! Then the training they put on is mostly week days and I can't afford to take the time off and as I don't have any funded children at the moment I am seriously wondering if it's worth while.

BucksCM
11-07-2012, 11:14 AM
This is exactly why I have been and will keep saying NO to my DO when she bandg on about becoming accredited!!
And in this area that hourly rate is less than i charge so where's the incentive!!

You are NOT a failure AT ALL!! I would be feeling exactly the same as you right now. You were told no more paperwork...they lied!! They need to fill so many spaces for the government...if they just let us do it...choose the good and outstanding cm...we've worked hard for the grades and obviously doing it right!! We're following the EYFS...what's the problem??

It's unfortunate that you'll lose the 3yo and i can see why you've tried to do it...but at the end of the day, you've got to think of YOU:D

md0u0131
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
oh my goodness,

my LA don't require that i do any more than i do already, apart from the odd monitoring form! ( which i do when they email it to me :blush: )

Phew I'm glad of that! I'm just starting the process and too have been assured it's no extra work.

loocyloo
11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Phew I'm glad of that! I'm just starting the process and too have been assured it's no extra work.

the only added thing is 'leading childminder training days' which are always a saturday, usually somewhere in the middle of north yorkshire - so ripon/thirsk/harrogate etc and i really enjoy them! good to meet other likeminded minders too! :D ( there are even a couple from the forum there .. IF we can remember to wave at each other and work out who we are :laughing: ) look forward to you coming along too :D

Bananabrain
11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I was told at my last inspection that a daily laminated/wipe clean Ra was not good enough as you cannot 'prove' you have risk assessed.
My friend marks in a daily diary that she has done her risk assessments.
I personally don't see how that is 'proof' but what do I know?:laughing:
I totally 'get' your frustrations. One of the reasons why I pulled out of my local quality standards was because it was sooooooooooooooo generic and most of it related directly to nurseries.

MAWI
11-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm accredited and I am stopping it at the end of is term. Not necessarily because i don't want to be accredited but because the bureaucracy that goes with it. I've done it for 3 years and can't be bothered anymore. I seem t o spend more time chasing my LA for payment/headcunt forms that they have lost, forms that are always wrongly Inputted.
I think in 3 years of being accredited there has only been a 3 month period where I haven't had to phone up to chase my money, alter a form, alter this, alter that, been paid too much(their mistake) and then told we can't take it back, then DEMAND it back. And the list goes on. So I can't cope with it anymore. That's just my LA though.
As for the extra paperwork, That's something you and only you can decided if its too much. Your certainly not a failure, it's the system that sometimes makes you feel like a failure. Chin up. I'm looking forward to NOT being accredited.

Ripeberry
11-07-2012, 12:09 PM
oh my goodness,

Wow! You're lucky. Ours (S.Gloucs) must be the toughest as they want us to attend lots of training, do yearly improvement statements, do a special assignment each year and to be selected we have to be grilled by a board of LA people and have to make a presentation where we will be grilled again about everything we do. :eek:

And they wonder why not many CMs are jumping at the chance to get the funding? :rolleyes:

funemnx
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Golly! Sounds like a nightmare!!

Cambridgeshire seem top be quite laid back - I became accredited last year, only a Satisfactory grading and no level 3 (just finished it) required. The paperwork wasn't overwhelming (no business plan) just what I do (like a SEF) a bit every month - lastly, one observation while we were at a toddler group.

Paperwork wise, once I was accredited, I only have to go on-line once a term to put in names of children and hours they will be claiming.

The only thing I don't like is that 1/2 is paid in advance and the other half is paid in arrears, so I have to manage my monthly bills on what comes in for other lo's and count the lump sums as a bonus IFSWIM!

linda2girls
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm in Cambs as well. I have to do a summative assessment once a term. My DO helped me with all the initial paperwork and she had to do an observation whilst I did an activity with the children. She met me at a toddler group for a monitoring session once and that's been it.

It's so unfair that some areas put so much extra work on us.

Linda.

lozzy23
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
oh my goodness,

I am the same as loocyloo, the only extra work is the headcount which I do online.

If I had to do what is being asked of you, I would be furious as well and certainly would not have continued with it either.

blue bear
11-07-2012, 02:56 PM
We have to do safeguarding and fcccers every two years plus commit to 20 hours training (can be reading up stuff though) a year

It pretty laid back to be honest and with the cut backs and la concentrating on upping grades they haven't done my fcccers for three years and no plan in place to do it.

oxfordshirecm
11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi does anyone know how I can find out how much the la pay accredited childminders? Does I just phone te family information service?

pinky33
11-07-2012, 03:14 PM
payment/headcunt

I'm sorry this typo made me lol.

I have just become accredited and fast tracked in 3 weeks, I didn't have to add or change anything other than fill in a form reflecting on my practice.
Why is it so different from area to area it's crazy.

Gherkin
11-07-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm in Peterborough and although there was a fair bit of paperwork to become accredited now that I am accredited there really is not very much at all. Just completing the headcount forms every term. It does add a string to your bow and can stop you losing children at 3.

Ripeberry
11-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry this typo made me lol.

I have just become accredited and fast tracked in 3 weeks, I didn't have to add or change anything other than fill in a form reflecting on my practice.
Why is it so different from area to area it's crazy.

Its enough to make you :censored: with this fccrs and now Headcunt ;)