PDA

View Full Version : childcare costs etc discussed on BBC Breakfast again

watgem
11-07-2012, 06:49 AM
As the title says, its being discussed again, and how expensive it is, and perhaps parentss should take children to work as they do in some American companies. Several people have mentioned the swedish model of heavy subsidisation of childcare, however they have not mentioned that Swedes are very heavily taxed in order to pay for this, can you imagine the outcry here if we adopted their model? I'm getting so fed up of childcare providers being portrayed as money grabbing, okay there are a few greedy ones as there are in any areas of society, but the costs we incurr in running our businessess are never discussed. Perhaps we should follow the doctors example and strike-however I don't think any of us would ever let our families down by doing that-sorry rant over now:/

Helcatt
11-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I was watching this too!

And like you, mightily sick of being portrayed as money grabbing witches.

I can not see how taking a child in to work can be good for anyone, let alone the child, how can they be looked after properly?

Again, with the subsidy, and as you say, forgetting how much people are taxed in Scandinavian countries, and you know how much of an outcry there would be here if taxes were increased here

rah!

miffy
11-07-2012, 06:57 AM
It's always annoying when these programmes only tell half the story - perhaps we should all email them and see what they do then :D

Miffy xx

JCrakers
11-07-2012, 07:12 AM
To tell you the truth I'm sick to the back teeth of it and I know at some point I will give up childminding because of one thing or another :mad:

rickysmiths
11-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Which channel was it on?

Mind you it is incredible how much care homes charge per person and they don't talk about reducing those costs?

I wish I could charge half what they do per full time child per year!

Zoomie
11-07-2012, 07:24 AM
There is a follow up being screened on BBC2 on Mon and Tues (16&17 July) at 7pm.

rickysmiths
11-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for that I'll record it.

Bridey
11-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I watched it and one of the ladies commenting came out with a valid statement with regards to bringing babies to work or getting more help for childcare ... that it is OUR choice to have children so why are we expecting our employers and the government to be burdened with the responsibility of our decision!

BuggsieMoo
11-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I was watching that too and was annoyed by the one sided approach. Watching the Americans they showed as well with the kids on their laps trying to work seemed to me a really bad idea. I for one would not like to call a company (such as BT, SKY etc) to try and discuss my forthcoming house move for instance and spend the whole time trying to hear them over a screaming and demanding baby!

I would also LOVE to earn as much as they claimed!! I was discussing it with a mum this morning who thanked me for not charging as much as they claimed I earnt!!

All these programmes seem to forget that although being a childminder is national, rates are not. These are set by the area you are in - London for example being much more expensive.

Its about time they actually got some of us childminders on there to give a truer picture. I would love to say I sit at home all day watching JK (ok I am no but I am actually off today) - no the truth is I spend a lot of time and effort ensuring their childrens lives are enriched and that they progress.

Ok rant over xx

catlyn
11-07-2012, 09:01 AM
It's always annoying when these programmes only tell half the story - perhaps we should all email them and see what they do then :D

Miffy xx

I didnt watch it or I would have done...last week I e mailed and rang GMTV about Martin Lewis and what he missed out in his interview about summer childcare costs(theres a thread on here somewhere about it) and i got a reply and GMTV updated their website to include the things I had mentioned...so people power does work!!!

greenfields
11-07-2012, 09:03 AM
We have children, we have to provide for them. We work, we have to get paid. I'm waiting for the news to discuss the expenses for childcare providers... And the long hours many childminders work. !!

hectors house
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
When people see me with 3 children and know I charge £3.60 an hour they think I am earning nearly £11 an hour - but have just finished last years accounts - income minus expenses divided by number of hours I have contact time with kids (not time spent cleaning house before they come, doing paperwork or attending training courses) works out I earnt £3.75 per hour!! Which proves I am not in it for the money, but because I love my job working with children.

greenfields
11-07-2012, 09:22 AM
We're not even earning minumum wage! I know I've just started out and I've had lots to buy but since April I'm in the minuses. So at the moment I'm working and paying out for it - earned nothing so far!

Tatjana
11-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Some guy that got chatting to me in a bar seemed to think I was raking it in when I told him I was a childminder, the media are doing a great job of portraying us as money grabbers.:rolleyes:

Katiekoo
11-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I thought the news item today was laughable, it made it very clear how dreadful, dangerous and totally unprofessional it would be to take your child to work. Babies sitting on desks, toddlers sprawled on the office floor, children being ignored, customers saying "erm is that a baby crying??!!??!!??" I honestly thought it was a joke! Surely this would make parents value us more, 'oh thank goodness I don't have to take my child to work!' it's worth £4 an hour to be able to get on with my work in peace! I can only hope :rolleyes:

Ripeberry
11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Which channel was it on?

Mind you it is incredible how much care homes charge per person and they don't talk about reducing those costs?

I wish I could charge half what they do per full time child per year!

That is a good point. But people are not bothered because most elderly are paid for by the social (the ones with no savings) and the others are made to sell their houses :(
The only reason people bleat on about childcare is because it's an expense that they can see coming out of their pay packet each month.

singingcactus
11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
The programmes I have seen have never portrayed childcarers as money grabbing, they have concentrated on what percentage of a parents wage goes on childcare. Some have even mentioned the fact that the government funding doesn't cover the outgoings of a childcarer.

But just the same as people are allowed to complain about the cost of food, amenities, cars, sky, broadband, the price of children's shoes, people are actually allowed to complain about how much childcare costs. It does cost a lot.

I only charge £3 an hour, and I only charge for the hours I actually care for a child, but the £300 bill I gave to one of my parents last week is a big bill to receive. She has never said she doesn't think it is worth paying, or that she resents paying for care for her sons, but it is a big bill to get! And she is allowed to say so, and even to complain about it since she only earns minimum wage and it is a huge chunk of her income. She doesn't begrudge me charging my rates, but childcare is expensive and she has the right to have a moan about it! And to try to discuss alternatives.

Ripeberry
11-07-2012, 01:02 PM
The programmes I have seen have never portrayed childcarers as money grabbing, they have concentrated on what percentage of a parents wage goes on childcare. Some have even mentioned the fact that the government funding doesn't cover the outgoings of a childcarer.

But just the same as people are allowed to complain about the cost of food, amenities, cars, sky, broadband, the price of children's shoes, people are actually allowed to complain about how much childcare costs. It does cost a lot.

I only charge £3 an hour, and I only charge for the hours I actually care for a child, but the £300 bill I gave to one of my parents last week is a big bill to receive. She has never said she doesn't think it is worth paying, or that she resents paying for care for her sons, but it is a big bill to get! And she is allowed to say so, and even to complain about it since she only earns minimum wage and it is a huge chunk of her income. She doesn't begrudge me charging my rates, but childcare is expensive and she has the right to have a moan about it! And to try to discuss alternatives.

Which also begs the question if the parents are only getting minimum wage themselves, what is the point of them going to work, if only to get away from the kids? They work but don't bring anything into the home to reduce their bills, so what is the point?
One day it seems only rich people will be able to afford childcare. Too many childless people moan about having to pay out for other people's children and then complain when we don't have enough workers of our own.
We then bring in foreign workers to fill the gap and then eventually stop British born youths from getting jobs.
Total madness and insanity! We all have to care for the children of this country. People have to stop thinking about ONLY themselves, but no-one can see the bigger picture :(

Rosy Days
11-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Another thing that people don't realise is that when our children are pre-school, we also don't earn a great deal either, we are in effect paying for our childcare as well, as we have to reduce our numbers to accommodate our own children. Last year my dd was in nursery school and ds was only a baba, so I earnt next to nothing. When they are both at school then I will be able to earn decent money again (well not that decent!). It affects us as well!!!! :(