PDA

View Full Version : Anxious childmindee

loupo
11-07-2012, 12:06 AM
We have looked after a cheerful little boy for just over a year. He has always got on really well with our family but when we take him to groups he cries and cries, desperately unhappy about contact with any unknown children. Recently his anxiety has increased and he has suffered from a separation anxiety with his parents when they leave him. I hate to see him struggle so much and wondered if anyone has any good tips for helping him to feel more at ease.

Thank you!

Rebecca Foster
11-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Promote more activities where he can interact with children, but not on such a big level. Maybe go to another childminders house, or trip to the park.
Hope this helps:)

watgem
11-07-2012, 06:24 AM
perhaps start by inviting other childminders/mindees to yours first where he's on familiar territory?

sarah707
11-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Some children panic in group situations and are better with just a few other children ... you might be best giving groups a miss for a while.

There are lots of ideas for separation anxiety - something of mum or dad to keep with him... a special photo or book to bring from home... quiet time when he first arrives... a special toy to play with...

Hth :D

fluff1975
11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Some children panic in group situations and are better with just a few other children ... you might be best giving groups a miss for a while.

There are lots of ideas for separation anxiety - something of mum or dad to keep with him... a special photo or book to bring from home... quiet time when he first arrives... a special toy to play with...

Hth :D

One of my mindees struggled after the 6 week holiday last summer (I'm term time only). I asked mum for photos of her family and significant people etc, which I laminated and made into a book. It really helped and now she is super settled and still loves looking at it. I've asked my other parents for photos too so that this September I'm a bit more prepared!

I also agree with perhaps giving the groups a miss for a while. I meet up regularly with another childminder either at her house, mine or we go out together as a small group. We get on really well and all our children now know each other well too :)