PDA

View Full Version : Opening a nursery....

Pandypops
10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I think i might go over to the darkside and open a nursery in my area. I am looking for a longer term investment and there is such a need round my area. I don't really like nurseries so I am hoping that I can make mine a good one by taking the things I don't like and making them better.

Anyone ever done this sort of thing before and has any advice? I was looking at franchising a brand maybe. It's all so mind boggling!!

(Please feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong area!)

hectors house
10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
A lady in my town was a childminder and employed several assistants, she bought a house on edge of town and converted it into a nursery - has fantastic garden, montersorri teachers, organic food, etc and it is very popular although it charges a fortune.

The best thing is the other day I had a lady with baby come to visit me and she rang up and said she also wanted to visit a Nursery (I decided to be neutral and didn't ask which one), then she rang me back and said she had chosen me over the Nursery which turned out to the one I mentioned above - I said to her "but they are outstanding in all areas" and she said "yes, but I preferred you"! I had a grin like a cheshire cat all week.

AliceK
10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
My DS's old childminder turned herself into a nursery. She had a lovely house with a lot of ground and converted a large garage type building into a nursery, only for about 12 / 15 children. It was lovely, still a very one to one environment and every child knew the others, it was fab. She was fab :thumbsup:

xxxx

nipper
10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
This is in my ten year business plan too! I need to find someone likeminded though first.

rickysmiths
10-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Interesting. It would be my biggest nightmare to do this. I would hate it.

Hayley102
10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
My DS's old childminder turned herself into a nursery. She had a lovely house with a lot of ground and converted a large garage type building into a nursery, only for about 12 / 15 children. It was lovely, still a very one to one environment and every child knew the others, it was fab. She was fab :thumbsup:

xxxx

That sounds lovely - small and cosy nursery. I wonder if it is financially viable as many nurseries only break even and are primarily a property investment!

md0u0131
10-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Mine too! :eek: I cannot think of anything worse - I like my little group!

loocyloo
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM

same here. i like my LOs and being able to get out and about do what we want when the mood takes us. i don't even want to work with an assistant for more than the odd occasion!

that said, when i worked in a nursery before DS was born, it was fantastic! based in the owners house, we used her sitting room ( she didn't :D ) and then she built on a conservatory with childrens loos/storage/coat hooks etc. but we also used her 'real' conservatory and her kitchen. 2/3s garden was given over to the children, but we were frequently looking in her pond, looking after all the animals ( goats/sheep/horses etc the cats were oftent o be found curled up asleep somewhere) and had the freedom to take the children out into the woods/fields/down the lane for walks (usually taking a dog with us!) couldn't quite go and get the bus, or visit the seaside at the drop of a hat! the owner had no childcare qualifications and neither did half of her staff! she employed people she knew/thought would be good with the children, were keen to share experiences with the children, and didn't say 'oh no, we can't do that, they are only 3yrs old (or whatever!) one 'teacher' was an Alevel science teacher, another had been a professional sportslady.it was an inspiring place to be. if you didn't prove yourself with the children in your first term, then you were not asked back!

Boris
11-07-2012, 06:53 AM
I worked in a nursery before becoming a CM. A friend opened her own nursery and I "helped" her set it all up. It was great when it first opened, not many children and the staff were all friends before becoming colleagues. Then the problmes started when we got more children and had to take on more staff. I wouldn't go there in a million years!

karensmart4
11-07-2012, 07:25 AM
In our area we had a cm partnership go for and be accepted for nursery status I'm sorry to say that after a very short time they have now closed....

I think (my opinion) they aimed too big too quickly, they were only cming for a couple of years.

If you know what you're getting into (red tape/ official) and you have a head for business, then brilliant I wish you luck in your new venture :thumbsup:

Keep us posted :)

greenfields
11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I've worked at a nursery. I wasn't keen on it! But then all nurseries will be different. I'm sure there are wonderful nurseries out there. Good luck and keep us posted! :)