PDA

View Full Version : Thought I would share...

karensmart4
09-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I joined a local forum today (but I must be honest I prefer this one), anyway they did have a good activity that I asked if I could share with you lovely people.

It's titled Biscuit Box Banter and it's written by Martine Horvath.... anyway the gist of it is for you to get a biscuit tin insert, you know the ones with different sections in, you then collect a variety of different things to go in it... some similar to children and some unusual.. you just need to use your imagination :-)

Next you invite the children to sit in a circle with you, explain that you want them to look at some interesting objects but not to touch yet.

Then model what you would like them to do by explaining, "We are going to take it in turns to crawl into the middle of the circle and choose something that we would like to talk about from the box. I have chosen this wool because it makes me want to sing Baa Baa Black Sheep... shall we all sing it together before James chooses something he would like to talk about?"

Some children may need support so you can pose some questions for them.

You could use this activity weekly to go with a topic or theme or / children could bring something in to share in the box, I thought it was nice as it encourages social skills and language.

I'm going to start this next week to see how it goes :)

Penny1959
09-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Lets us know how it goes. I do something similiar with items in a draw string bag - kids love the feeling and trying to guess what they have in their hand before pulling it out to look at and talk about. Also have a selection of props to support nursery rhymes

Penny :)

Bridey
09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Anything that involves stuffing my face with biscuits in order to get the insert sounds good to me! ;)

charleyfarley
09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Anything that involves stuffing my face with biscuits in order to get the insert sounds good to me! ;)

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

So I need to buy more biscuits :clapping:

Great idea :thumbsup:

Carol xx

BucksCM
09-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Now I have a use for the Graze boxes I've been saving!!:thumbsup:
Although, I think I might need to get some biscuits as there are more sections:D

karensmart4
10-07-2012, 05:51 AM
hahaha my first thoughts were, hmm I need to buy a tin of biscuits :jump for joy:

mama2three
10-07-2012, 05:58 AM
We have a 'chatter box' too , great activity for when we cant get out and about. Sometimes we link to our themes , sometimes we just spot an interesting object whilst exploring , sometimes someone brings something from home ..or it may be starts with a specific sound..all depends on who is here that session , what we are focusing on.....

miffy
10-07-2012, 06:44 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing: :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

watgem
10-07-2012, 06:44 AM
i love this idea:)need to go and buy biscuits now:)

karensmart4
10-07-2012, 06:49 AM
We have a 'chatter box' too , great activity for when we cant get out and about. Sometimes we link to our themes , sometimes we just spot an interesting object whilst exploring , sometimes someone brings something from home ..or it may be starts with a specific sound..all depends on who is here that session , what we are focusing on.....

What a lovely name 'chatter box' :thumbsup:

We have feely bags but I hadn't thought of this.... we have some 3/4 yr olds that this would be perfect for, 2 not too clear on their speech so will encourage language development as well as various area's of PSED.

Toothfairy
10-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Great idea, thanks :thumbsup: