PDA

View Full Version : Consultation on the nursery milk scheme

Mouse
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
This comes from the nursery milk scheme website:

The Department of Health has launched a GB-wide public consultation on the future operation of the Nursery Milk Scheme. The main aim of the consultation is to explore options for modernising and simplifying the operation of the Nursery Milk Scheme and improving its value for money, while ensuring that all children under five attending a childcare setting for more than two hours a day continue to receive free milk.

Nursery Milk is a universal benefit, meaning that childcare settings can claim the cost of milk provided to any child, regardless of the child’s home circumstances. All the options explored in the consultation ensure that the scheme will continue as a universal benefit. None of the options in the consultation involve a change in the amount of milk provided or to the age, or number of children eligible to receive it.

The consultation will run until the 11th of September 2012. The Department of Health is keen to hear your views on the proposed options and specific questions. You can access the consultation paper, the impact assessment and equality analysis on the DH website via the link below:

http://consultations.dh.gov.uk/nurserymilk/nextsteps

In parallel with the public consultation, the Department of Health is asking all childcare providers currently registered with the scheme to complete a simple survey about how the scheme works for them now, and how potential changes might affect them and the children they care for. This survey will close on Monday the 16th of July. The survey address is:

http://consultations.dh.gov.uk/nurserymilk/childcare-settings-survey

Any decision on the future operation of the scheme will be taken after full consideration is given to the consultation and survey responses and other relevant information.

Please send any general queries about the scheme or the consultation to: nurserymilk@dh.gsi.gov.uk

Pauline
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks Mouse, important that we take some time to take part in this consultation.

I've also had a letter from NMRU (Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit) as I am sure many of you have reminding everyone that if you have your milk through an agent it is YOU who is responsible for the amount of milk supplied and money claimed.

From 20th August 2012 there will also be a requirement for the agent/childminder to confirm the amount of milk supplied and claimed.

So many times over the years we have heard of childminders getting far too much milk than they should, it is time that the rules were tightened.:thumbsup:

pinky33
09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
All done, thanks for that mouse

md0u0131
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Done thanks x

loocyloo
09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
all done. thank you x

jumpinjen
09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Done and I was fairly outspoken, hope they don't mind!!!!

Mouse
09-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Done and I was fairly outspoken, hope they don't mind!!!!

Oooh, what did you say?

I think it makes a refreshing change that they are actually asking for our opinions before they make any decisions!

jumpinjen
09-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I said I thought it was overly complicated and changing it up would cost money too and suggested a simpler way for them:D Probably simplistic but there goes nothing, and I pointed out the waste that goes on with some agents and generally and generally had a bit of a rant and asked for the cost benefit analysis to be published:D Jen x

Mouse
09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I said I thought it was overly complicated and changing it up would cost money too and suggested a simpler way for them:D Probably simplistic but there goes nothing, and I pointed out the waste that goes on with some agents and generally had a bit of a rant and asked for the cost benefit analysis to be published:D Jen x

I did point out that I thought it was the companies that needed looking into! I read an article in nursery world a while back that said some companies were claiming back hugely inflated prices for the milk they supply, no doubt making a huge profit as they do. How can anyone justify claiming up to 92p for a pint of milk?

bunyip
09-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks Mouse, important that we take some time to take part in this consultation.

I've also had a letter from NMRU (Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit) as I am sure many of you have reminding everyone that if you have your milk through an agent it is YOU who is responsible for the amount of milk supplied and money claimed.

From 20th August 2012 there will also be a requirement for the agent/childminder to confirm the amount of milk supplied and claimed.

So many times over the years we have heard of childminders getting far too much milk than they should, it is time that the rules were tightened.:thumbsup:

I got the letter, so I 'phoned NMRU to clarify. I was told not to worry, if I was with an agent and I made sure they were aware of my current numbers, because they'd sort everything out for me. This rather contradicts the content of the letter.

I also asked about the rule that we're all supposed to display an A3-sized poster at the entrance of our settings. Again, they said don't worry - that's really for schools.

Maybe they've caught up with some agents who are letting people over-order? I had to query my first delivery because it was twice what I should've had. That was cos the forms asked me how many children in morning sessions and how many in afternoon sessions, without considering whether I might have the same children all day.

I was also asked if I wanted some of the milk as skimmed/semi-skimmed. I queried why they were asking, as our children's centre nutritionist had advised only whole milk for my pre-schoolers. The agent said some nurseries and schools liked to have a variety for the staff to use.

Am I just stupidly naiave?

Tazmin68
09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
All done and submitted

Daftbat
30-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I have emailed the nursery milk scheme since a few weeks ago I got a letter from them asking to update my email contact info. I had used Scotts about 18 months ago just for about 4 months and decided that it wasn't for me as as all the milk was not being used and they seemed to be sending me too much.

When I logged in to my account with the nursery milk scheme it was evident that Scotts had been making claims to them for milk which I hadn't received. I have been advised that the inofrmation is being forwarded to the consultation and was given the impression that I wsn't the first.

I would urge everyone to check their account and see what payments have been made to a third party.

Mouse
30-08-2012, 02:43 PM
That's bad of them Daftbat.

I've been saying this to people for a long time. If you get your milk through an agent, or have done at any time, check to see how much they are claiming against your name.

A cm friend of mine was getting milk through an agent, then cancelled that as she had no under 5 children. When she did get some she decided to go through NMRU herself, only to find the agent had still been claiming in her name :panic:

Daftbat
30-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Yes Mouse, your story is more or less what I have found word for word. Goodness knows how much money they have creamed off! I hope it leads to a criminal prosecution - anyone who has had anything to do with 3rd Party milk claims should check and report anything strange.

Helcatt
30-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I should have cancelled (with Scotts) and this reminds me to do so.

Even when I first set up, they didn't seem to understand what we could claim for and I "know" they were claiming too much, so when I increased my numbers, I didn't tell them, to make sure they didn't double the amount they sent

They kept telling me I could claim morning and afternoon milk for a child with me all day, and it should only be one per child

Thanks for reminding me how rubbish they really are. Will go back to claiming direct, me thinks!

What annoys me, is that in the area, the local NCMA woman is constantly plugging them and she WILL NOT hear a word said against them

HX

mum24
30-08-2012, 08:16 PM
oh dear, am i being really stupid?
I have until recently never bothered getting the free milk as it just seemed such a hassle for so little.
Anyway about 4 months ago after hearing about other childminders I signed up with milk 4 childminders, and they seem to be sending me the milk I am entitled to, I email them with holiday dates etc.

BUT how do I check that they are only claiming what theys should in my name? Do I just ask them for their records?

I don't get an invoice and have been meaning to ask if they can supply some sort of proof of how much milk they are delivering.