PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bullying??

Louise85
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I've got a situation - it's not a formal complaint from parents (but it's not far off if I don't do something)...I've got a year 6 girl and her year 1 brother everyday before and after school. Since they have arrived, the number of accidents has increased...the latest now being a broken bone after another little girls fingers were slammed in car door. It happened once parents had collected the little girls things, but she often continues to play since she only lives two doors down - so it happened strictly while in dad's care, but with my car (I feel so bad!!). The little girl is now (4 days later) accusing the older year 6 girl of doing it on purpose. I don't know what to do...I've got the little girls parents coming round this evening to chat about it. These children are all in my care, and I'm starting to think of terminating the contract with the year 6 and year 1 (although year 6 is ending with me in two weeks in any case, and I think year 1 would be better once his sister is gone - but I have not got any 'hard' evidence - it's all one persons word against anothers...

Any suggestions on how to handle??? So stressed out about this:panic:

Many thanks
xx

LittleLegsCM
09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I know you say accidents have increased since you took them on but have they actually been involved with the 'accidents' or was it just a coincidence that they increased at the same time?

If it has been mainly the year6 that has been involved I'd be inclined to see what the younger one is like once year6 goes before making any firm decisions as to whether or not to terminate. However if the year1 has had a fair share of their own involvement I may think again. It's whatever you feel comfortable with trying. Maybe think about having a meeting with their parents as well to relay your concerns and see what they say?

In regards to the car door accident, I would make sure you have everything in writing including your own take as to what happened. Keep everything as to the fact as possible and just see how it goes. To be fair, if she wasn't in your care at the time and was dad's responsibility then he should be the one feeling guilty for not watching what she was doing. However, without sounding judgemental (which I'm certianly not doing), can I ask what they were doing playing with the car doors without you? this may be the main question that comes up depending on how far the parents take it so be sure to get in clear in your head.

Hope you get it sorted for the better hun x

Pipsqueak
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I've got a situation - it's not a formal complaint from parents (but it's not far off if I don't do something)...I've got a year 6 girl and her year 1 brother everyday before and after school. Since they have arrived, the number of accidents has increased...the latest now being a broken bone after another little girls fingers were slammed in car door. It happened once parents had collected the little girls things, but she often continues to play since she only lives two doors down - so it happened strictly while in dad's care, but with my car (I feel so bad!!). The little girl is now (4 days later) accusing the older year 6 girl of doing it on purpose. I don't know what to do...I've got the little girls parents coming round this evening to chat about it. These children are all in my care, and I'm starting to think of terminating the contract with the year 6 and year 1 (although year 6 is ending with me in two weeks in any case, and I think year 1 would be better once his sister is gone - but I have not got any 'hard' evidence - it's all one persons word against anothers...

Any suggestions on how to handle??? So stressed out about this:panic:

Many thanks
xx

I think you need a two pronged approach!

You need to respond to the parents about the childs (broken) fingers - in writing.
You need to be VERY clear that this accident happened whilst their child was in THEIR care and not in your your or time.
I 'm not sure I understand that this child got hurt by your car/year 6 child.
If the child was with their parent... (being allowed to ) playing near your car - were you all just getting in/out and the Y6 has slammed the door shut???

I would document this as it happened and tell the parents that it was an accident, you have spoken with the Y6 child (do so) and their parent (if the situation calls for) and have reassesed your RA's etc.

I think I would also be notifying Ofsted myself as well - I think this situation sounds close to becoming out of control with you in the middle

Second bit - I think you need to carefully observe the Y6 child and see their part in all this, coupled with observing the whole group dynamics.
EYFS is very clear that the care of over 8's cannot adversely affect the care of under 8's.
If this Y6 child IS at the heart of all these 'accidents and incidents' then you are going to have to take action.
It could be that the (hurt) child is not used to older children and they way they play etc....

It sounds like the broken fingers are an accident and I wonder why its taken several days for it to be concluded it was the Y6 child.

hectors house
09-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I would explain to the injured child's parents that the older child will be leaving in a few weeks time anyway - I wouldn't give notice and lose the younger brother, especially as they live so close to you. And even if it was on purpose, I'm sure the older child didn't really realise the implications of her actions - do you think it would help if she wrote a letter of apology with a get well card?

You say it isn't a formal complaint yet, but I would treat it as one - also as the injury sounds quite serious (broken bone) have you filled in an accident form and notified your liability insurance for a claim reference number - remember that child can choose to claim against you until 21 years old.

I had something similar years ago, but with younger children - this is an extract of a letter that I sent the parent. Sometimes by putting things in writing it makes the parent realise that you are taking their concerns seriously.

RE: Concerns/Complaint raised on 29 June 2007

Thank you for meeting with me on Friday 6 July to discuss fully your concerns relating to the following National Childcare Standards:
• Standard 11 – Behaviour
• Standard 12 – Working in partnership with parents

The behaviour in question was the behaviour of another child towards your daughter – I am taking your concerns extremely seriously and have been working in conjunction with this child’s mother to implement consistent strategies to encourage positive behaviour. I have also purchased a reward chart to use as a visual reminder that good behaviour by ALL children is expected.

As in accordance with my Complaint Procedure, your concerns have been logged and may be viewed by an Ofsted inspector on my next inspection.

Good luck with your meeting - don't beat yourself up over it, accidents do happen!

rickysmiths
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
It is not clear to me how this happened.

Your car and a mindees parent, but not the parent of the Y6 and Y1 child was getting his child's stuff out of your car and his child had her fingers trapped in the door of the car and is now accusing the Y6 child of doing it?

Why was a parents getting his child's stuff out of your car?

If this child was not in your care at the time of the accident this will be backed up by your signed attendance register and is one of the reasons we get parents to sign each week. I hope you have this because it sounds as if it will be key in proving who was responsible for the care of the injured child.

Why did the dad allow his child to be in a position that their fingers could be trapped in the door if he had just got their stuff out of the car, why didn't he close the door?

How come the Y6 child was anywhere near the car at the time if they were in your care?

If these two children have increased the number of accidents whilst in your care then this should show through the accident forms filled in and if I had thought another child was instrumental in causing the accidents I would have been writing an incident form with respect to this child each time as well and why I thought they had caused the accident.

As broken bones are involved then you must inform Ofsted, even though it didn't happen when the child was in your care they were on your property.

Good Luck in sorting this out.

I would also inform my insurance company.

caz3007
09-07-2012, 09:42 AM
I am also confused, you say the child was in dads care but she continues to play and dont understand how a child not in your care got her fingers trapped in your car door by a child who was in your care.

Perhaps you can give us a little more information in order for us to offer suggestions and help

QualityCare
09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
l am assuming that year 1 brother was not involved and that year 6 child and another mindee were outside your house with out you but other mindee was not in your care at the time (your register will back this up) and that parent had allowed his child to play unsupervised with your year 6 mindee.
Needs to be written up why year 6 child (and brother and any other children) were outside playing with/in your car and where you were during this. If child was in dads care at the time her damaged fingers are not your responsibility.

Helen79
09-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm confused aswell as to who got hurt and who had been collected.

I would put a stop to the little girl who is collected and then stays to play and ask dad that she goes home with him as soon as she's picked up.
Once she's signed out then she should be dad's responsibility not yours but then if she's staying to play at your house then she is still included in your numbers, just as if dd has a friend round to play while I'm working I have to include them in my ratio and am still responsible for them even though I'm not being paid for them.

Louise85
09-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions - it was a confusing situation and I have different points of view from both children about what happened - my daughter was getting something out the car which was why the car was open - I was on the pavement nearby generally watching their behaviour but didn't notice anything suspicious, they seemed to just be talking to my daughter through the car window. I am reviewing my RA's, as a standard whenever an accident has happened but I didn't think of informing Ofsted or my insurance providers...but maybe I should. I will definitely put it all in writing and put some things in place for monitoring all accidents and behaviours and who is involved to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you all - helped put my mind at ease. Am meeting with the parents this evening so will find out how formal they really want to take this, but probably treat it as 'formal' in any case and send a letter in response to the meeting tonight.

Many thanks
x

FussyElmo
09-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Still dont get how the accident helped if your dd was getting something out of your car how come 2 other mindees were around it.

I think seeing as no one actually knows what happened it could be a potentially awkward sitution. I assuming the dad signed an accident form and that he was present when it happened.

Review your ra's and say children will never be allowed by your car even if parents are there.

As for the year 6 sometimes when accidents happen its because the older child doesnt realise the younger childrens capabilities

QualityCare
09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Did you agree to this child staying and playing once her dad had collected her or does he just let her out once he has taken her home, what age is she, if it was outside of minded hours and dad or you had signed her out then l do not think you should be responsible for the accident even if you agreed to her staying and playing.

Bridey
09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Did you agree to this child staying and playing once her dad had collected her or does he just let her out once he has taken her home, what age is she, if it was outside of minded hours and dad or you had signed her out then l do not think you should be responsible for the accident even if you agreed to her staying and playing.

I disagree - if the child who caused the accident was in your care then you do have a degree of responsibility. If I took mindees to a park and one of them was involved in causing an accident in which a member of the public was injured then i would surely be liable?