PDA

View Full Version : Late work, but not registered for overnight care...

EmmaReed84
09-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Saw a thread that made me think... If a CM was not registered for overnight care but needed to start work from say 1pm until 9pm it would go over to overnight care?

If they cared for the child until 6pm then went to the childs home to continue care there would that be ok and classed I suppose as going from CM to babysitter?

Just wondering really...

lfishwick
09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
I wouldn't class care until
9pm as overnight care as the child is going home for the night.

In regards to a break then coming back I'd think the registration would still apply- but like above if they are going home for the night ( even if late) I wouldn't class it as overnight. It's when you start finishing midnight, 1,2 etc that falls into the 'is it overnight' for me...

rickysmiths
09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
I wouldn't class any care as overnight unless I had to put them to bed and keep them for the night.

I have regularly worked until 8pm for nurses and it didn't occur to me to think of it as coming into overnight care.

I babysit for families as well.

But if a family wanted me to take their child home and put them to bed and wait at home I would only do it if it fitted in with what my family needed and my hourly rate would double from when I left home until I got back, and I would consider I was still childminding.

QualityCare
09-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I would class anything over 7.00pm as unsocial hours and charge an enhanced rate, over night care would be staying overnight until the next day, if parents wanted you to care for a child so they could go out l would suggest going to their house or collecting the child before midnight.

Monkey26
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
I do believe (but could quite possibly be wrong!) that Ofsted count anything between 10pm and 6am as overnight care x

Mouse
09-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I do believe (but could quite possibly be wrong!) that Ofsted count anything between 10pm and 6am as overnight care x

I always used to think that overnight care was from 10pm, but read a while back that there aren't actually any time limits to it.
A child could be with you until midnight, but as long as they go home it doesn't count as overnight care. Similarly, they could arrive at 4am, but that wouldn't be overnight.

I was told it's more to do with the actualy going to bed. If you put the child to bed with the intention of them being there until the next day then it's overnight care. If you put them in a bed for a sleep, but parents were collectingthem at 1am, it wouldn't be overnight care. I've got a feeling it's all a but vague and there aren't any set times.

Mouse
09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Saw a thread that made me think... If a CM was not registered for overnight care but needed to start work from say 1pm until 9pm it would go over to overnight care?

If they cared for the child until 6pm then went to the childs home to continue care there would that be ok and classed I suppose as going from CM to babysitter?

Just wondering really...

I wouldn't class until 9pm as overnight care.

Pipsqueak
09-07-2012, 08:31 AM

Just wondering really...

I used to reguarly care for a child till (between) 9pm-10pm

Overnight is just that - over the night time hours bedded down in the providers settings.

I purely provided childcare till 10pm at night and then the child went home.
She would more often than not fall asleep in the beanbags/sofa - just like daytime kids do!

hectors house
09-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I think overnight care rules apply more to the fact that you go to bed too, so have to make sure you have a monitor in your room to be able to hear child and you aren't allowed to have a drink while child on premises - that is how I understand rules. I am registered for overnight, but doesn't happen often - family parties or wedding etc, but parents always know they have the option.