PDA

View Full Version : outdoor play

tammys-tots
08-07-2012, 04:55 PM
hi, what do you provide for babies outdoors when they are not walking, do you allow them to crawl around outdoors in really bad weather like we are having today? my childminding children( 2 and 3 year olds) play out in the rain they love it, had 2 enquiries for babies in sep and one parent says she doesnt want her baby going outside because it will be cold! my garden can be very messy with gloop, pretend snow and sand every where. thanks

sillysausage
08-07-2012, 06:05 PM
I have all in one suits in a range of sizes from 12 months up to age 5. I put down foam matting that locks together in approx metre square pieces and then put a large picnic mat on top with balls and toys on for them. As long as they are well wrapped up then they will be fine, though bear in mind that if they are not mobile they will get cold quicker so it may be best to go outdoors in short bursts if it is particularly cold. If it is raining I use the summer parasol to provide an 'umbrella' over non mobile infants.
Hardest thing I find is suitable footwear for non-mobile children. Inside they tend to be in socks or bare feet and baby 'shoes' are often not great or suitable for outdoors. I have been considering making some baby overshoes out of my old kagoule that I can button onto the bottom of the baby all in one to protect their little feet.
Once they are crawling I generally allow them to crawl where they want so they can feel the grass, stone patio, mud etc. They do tend to be self limiting, only going onto surfaces they are comfortable with.

Trpta108
08-07-2012, 06:16 PM
In a previous thread someone suggested Togz over booties (you can get them on ebay or amazon or children's outdoor wear websites). I bought some and they are brilliant for wet days.:)

mushpea
08-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I dont think I would let crawling babies out in the rain but at mine it wouldnt stop the others from going out if they wanted to as I can see all my garden from indoors so not a problem for me,, they would be going out in the cold and summer though so prehaps you need to explain to this parent how you will ensure he child is both safe and warm in your garden and if she is still not happy then maybe your setting isnt for her.

tammys-tots
08-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I dont think I would let crawling babies out in the rain but at mine it wouldnt stop the others from going out if they wanted to as I can see all my garden from indoors so not a problem for me,, they would be going out in the cold and summer though so prehaps you need to explain to this parent how you will ensure he child is both safe and warm in your garden and if she is still not happy then maybe your setting isnt for her.

Yes but ofsted said that the babies need to go outside in all weathers( when its wet) and have the same experiences as the others, im going to get some all in ones for babies that i have for my 2 year olds. The parent wasnt just talking about outdoor play but in general school runs ...... will explain this to
her maybe she would be better in a nursery!
Thanks

tammys-tots
08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
In a previous thread someone suggested Togz over booties (you can get them on ebay or amazon or children's outdoor wear websites). I bought some and they are brilliant for wet days.:)

thanks so good going to get some when i get back from my hols

clareelizabeth1
08-07-2012, 10:05 PM
In terms of something to go on feet of none movers/crawlers try muddy puddles water proof thermal booties they are on sale for £3.60 at the moment and the best thing I have ever purchased. I think there all in ones are on sale too. I had one child roll in a puddle last week and much to his disappointment stayed clean and dry (he then tried to remove the suit but was unable to lol).

As for parent not wanting child to be outside well I would say I couldn't look after the child as it would greatly affect the others in my care if they can't go outside. I am due in December and am only taking a month off. So from Jan my baby will either be poped in a sling or in the pram (come spring ill pop them on the floor) while I take the children outside, but then I spend 70% of my day outside parents all know this and dress their children appropriately or brings changes of clothes.