PDA

View Full Version : safety gates

johnnydepp1
10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
hi

just wondering how many safety gates i will need, i know i need one at the bottom of the stairs and one in the kitchen, but will i need one on the top of the stairs aswell

thanks

FizzysFriends
10-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I am pre-reg too but I have at the bottom of the stairs and one to put over the back door when I want it open for fresh air but want child/dog to stay inside.

foxy lady
10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
i think ofsted like you have to have one at the top of the stairs but you dont have to.
we were unable to put one at the top of our stairs because of how the stairs are built .
the lady from ofsted asked about in and i explined that i do not leave the children alond upstair unless they are in a cot and that i carry them up and down the stairs she said this was ok
hope that helps

tulip0803
10-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Previously I didn't use upstairs except for babies in cots, this time I do not have a downstairs loo:( so I am having to put a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs. I also have one on the utility area so I can store al the cleaning/medicines in locked cupboards and I will have a spare that I can put on any door in the house to ensure that I can safely contain the children if I need to open front door, go to loo etc.

Mrs M
01-07-2008, 02:18 PM
It's up to you to risk assess your home really. I met some childminders on a course on Saturday who don't use any stair gates and I also have a childminder friend who doesn't have any either. They teach the children in their care not to go up the stairs. However, I am the other way. I have a gate at the bottom and one at the top of the stairs. I have one on the kitchen and one on the play room. This works really well in our house as I can be in the kitchen, have the children play in the hallway, block off the play room and lounge and can see them at all times which is what the inspector requires. Even if I hadn't been a childminder I would have had the same amount of safety measures in my house due to the fact that I have a toddler. My friends think I'm over the top - I think I'm safety conscious. We're all different. Just be safe.

Donkey
05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
the inspector told me at pre-reg that I didn't need to have stair gates top and bottom so long as I can show how I would keep the children safe. I have an 8 month old daughter who is getting more and more mobile. my landing is not very big and the cat can open the bathroom door. it would only take a second whilst I am running a bath for her and checking the temp for her to be off and down the stairs.
I am also planning on having a gate for my bedroom, that way I can leave the door open so that the cat can get in but mindees can't. poor thing needs to have somewhere quiet to escape to!:clapping:

sarah707
05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I just have one on the bottom of the stairs ... the rest is risk assessed. :D

MissTinkerbell
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I have one top and bottom of the stairs - my DS causes havoc if he gets upstairs and if he gets up before everyone else he sorts breakfast out - all over the kitchen floor!

I also have one on the kitchen door - couldn't manage with 3 under 5s in the kitchen whilst trying to cook.

Also have one across the utility room as this is where the cat food and cat litter tray is kept. DS likes putting cat litter into their water bowl.

The stair gates are really for DS but Ofsted were impressed.

Although as long as you can demonstrate to Ofsted how you intend to keep the children safe then its really up to you.

manjay
08-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I have one at the top of the stairs but that is because my sons bedroom opens straight onto the stairs. This one will be removed when he no longer needs it.

I also have one at the bottom of the stairs and one on the door to the utility room for the mindees benefit