PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journals

hollyvilla
08-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Just a quick question, I am getting very confused as to whether LJ's are a requirement. I thought we had to do one for all EYFS children, however I am now beginning to wonder if I have got this right. Any advice much appreciated.

mrs robbie williams
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Hiya, as far as I know they are a requirement, ive just spent since 8 this morning sorting mine out :rolleyes: i think the requirement is to show the childs progression with their time with you, but i could be wrong. Someone will be along soon with more knowledge xx

blue bear
08-07-2012, 01:32 PM
You are required to follow the child's development by observing and planning next steps. No where does it say what format that should take.

It seems to be a majority who keep learning journals, I've met some people who do group learning journals but most keep individual ones.

From September children full time in reception class and those we do holiday care do not need the full eyfs and so the lj can be scaled back a bit.

moggy
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
As has been said, you need to be able to show how you note 'all about me' information, follow progress, note interests and development, plan for next steps etc. That is usually called a Learning Journal or Learning Journey but those are just names people have come up with, they are not mentioned in the EYFS. It can be a scrap book, or all on-line, or a folder, or a note book or whatever you want. It doesn't HAVE to even be on paper, but it would be pretty hard to manage without writing things down.

moggy
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
...an ex-Ofsted inspector on a recent course reminded us there is NO requirement for LJ or any other written records of progress, except the 2-year progress check, in the new EYFS. BUT it is seen as good practice to do one. It is up to you whether you want to just satisfy the EYFS requirements or go the extra step to show good practice, or even outstanding practice.

sarah707
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
The words 'learning journey' do not appear in the Eyfs.

However there is a requirement that we note children's starting points, gather information from parents, observe, assess and plan for each child.

The easiest way to gather this information is in a booklet or loose leaf file - and if you call it a Learning Journey you will be doing the same as the majority of childminders :D