PDA

View Full Version : Settling in a one year old

HelenfromSE
07-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for some time but this is the first time I have posted.
I have a little girl starting with me in a couple of weeks so will do some settling in the week prior. This will need to be fitted in around my older child's nursery run so will be shorter sessions mostly so as not to drag the mum around on London buses(well actually I may do so, haven't yet decided whether its a good idea but why not!)
I was just wondering if anyone could share their top 'settling in' activities? I have a few ideas but would really welcome the wisdom of experienced minders. I have been looking after a 4 yr old boy but he required no settling in as we knew him already!
Also, if anyone has any tips on how to minimise your own child's (almost two year old girl) jealousy at having a younger child around I would appreciate them. I am no doubt worrying about nothing but am still a little worried.... :)
Thanks everyone,
Helen

miffy
08-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi Helen and welcome to the forum

I'd find out a s much detail as I could about the child's usual routines, their likes and dislikes etc from mum. If they have a comfort object make sure mum brings it with her.

I usually do a few settling in sessions with mum present and then have her leave baby for a short time and increase the length of time baby is left gradually.

If you find out from mum what baby likes doing then that is what I'd put out to play with so if they like putting thIngs in and out of containers I'd get out plenty of boxes, pans, cups etc and things to put inside them.

To help your own dd, just try and include her as much as possible - encourage her to get a toy for the baby, help pass you a clean nappy or wipes when you are changing baby etc.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine

Miffy xx

HelenfromSE
09-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks a lot Miffy :)