PDA

View Full Version : permission to provide meals

littleones123
07-07-2012, 08:34 AM
hi, i provide meals for all my minded children but i am not sure if i have to registered to do this.:panic:

any advice please?

thank you

rickysmiths
07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
You need to Register as a Food Business with your local Environmental Health Dept. You can get hold of them at your local Council offices. It doesn't cost anything but they may come out and inspect your kitchen.

You should also be using a folder called Better Food Better Business for Childminders. It is available free through the link below to the Food Standards Agency. If you give them a ring they will send it to you.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

littleones123
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
thank you for your reply, if i decided not to provide meals can i still provide snacks and can children bring there own packed lunch?

thank you

AliceK
07-07-2012, 09:05 AM
thank you for your reply, if i decided not to provide meals can i still provide snacks and can children bring there own packed lunch?

thank you

I think even if you are not providing meals you still need to be registered as you would still be giving snacks and potentially storing "bought in" food in your fridge. It's a very simple process so don't be concerned.

xxx

miffy
07-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Have a look at the link Ricky posted and don't worry too much - some areas do send someone out to inspect but others don't or do a telephone interview. It's nothing scary - mainly just common sense and good hygiene practice so I'm sure you'll be OK

Miffy xx

littleones123
08-07-2012, 08:05 AM
thank you for your replys, i will contact my environmental health dept asap.

i didnt realise it was mandatory.

once again thank you.:)

Tealady
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I would also say if you contact them get them to send a letter or email confiming you are "in the system" and that they are coming to see you. Our Food Safety people don't class Childminders as a priority so fit in the initial visit as and when they have a gap in the diary. Suffice to say it was 5 months from me sending in the paperwork to them coming out so I was worried that if Ofsted decended it looked like I had failed to register when it was actually all in progress. They don't send anything out confirming receipt of paperwork so I had to request this especially to cover myself.