PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re notice period

AliceK
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Just so that I know I'm not going mad :panic:

Parent on a TTO contract gives notice yesterday. School breaks up for summer on 20th July and go back on 4th Sept. When is the last day of care?

Parent seems to think even though the contract states 4 weeks that this means 1 calendar month and as the child is not with me for the summer hols her last day would be 5th Sept. I use MM contracts which doesn't state that notice period can't include holidays.

I think I am confusing myself here.

xxx

Edited to add: I don't charge for school hols on TTO contract.

funemnx
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd be inclined just to let them finish on the last day of term :)

AliceK
06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd be inclined just to let them finish on the last day of term :)

But then by my calculations I'm still owed 9 days pay??

xxx

The Juggler
06-07-2012, 05:28 PM
you are only owed it hon if you work it which means they'd have to come back for 9 days in September OR you'd have to offer those 9 days in teh holidays somehow.

I'd say this would make it difficult for you to fill the position. In NCMA contracts isn't there a special clause for TTO contracts and the holiday periods i.e. they ARE included in the notice period?? Not sure but vageuly remember something about that

Goatgirl
06-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi :),
If it was me, I'd explain its 4 actual PAID, contracted weeks, which would run into next term but as a gesture of goodwill you will accept payment to the end of term.
That will give you a better chance of filling the space I would think? I usually get enquiries starting around now and through school hols for any september starts......

Good luck :thumbsup:

AliceK
06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Ok, let me rephrase it.

Child on TTO contract, no charge for school hols.
Mum gave notice yesterday and letter says his last day of care will be 20th July (last day of school)

My contract states 4 weeks notice, if shorter than 4 weeks the remaining monies to make up to 4 weeks must be paid.

I have explained to mum that this 4 weeks notice would add an additional 9 days so last day would not be 20th July. I have told her I can do the additional 9 days in Sept term or she can just pay the additional 9 days.

She thought 4 weeks is the same as 1 calendar month so for TTO notice given on 5th July would mean no care as school doesn't go back until 4th Sept and no money due. She has paid up to July 20th already.

xx

Am I wrong then?

AliceK
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi :),
If it was me, I'd explain its 4 actual PAID, contracted weeks, which would run into next term but as a gesture of goodwill you will accept payment to the end of term.
That will give you a better chance of filling the space I would think? I usually get enquiries starting around now and through school hols for any september starts......

Good luck :thumbsup:

I don't need to fill the space so not bothered about that but I do need the extra monies due which I think is 9 days money?

xx

Goatgirl
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I would say you are right, yes, though I don't have morton mitchell contracts.. But from the wording you have described, yes she must make the money up to the equivalent of 4 paid weeks.

Its the 'paid weeks' that Mum is confused about. But I would explain that that is the whole point of a notice period: you are protected from being left without 4 weeks run on income and Mum is protected from being left without care (were it to be the other way round and you giving notice). SO logically, she owes you that money.

I have let these things go in the past however, as I find the conflict very stressful. depends how much I need the money ...and how many liberties the family have already taken with my kind nature :rolleyes::rolleyes:

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I would take notice but as it is less than four weeks they would lose the other two weeks of their Deposit so I would be paid for the two weeks even tough I hadn't worked them, parents choice.

This is why I always take a four weeks fees Deposit when a contract is signed.

In your case the parents should still pay you your four weeks notice.

The new NCMA Contract says in note 25

'Either party may give written notice of termination to the other. Written notice should be provided in a letter (not in a SMS text message). If email is used, this must be followed by a letter. Such notice of termination must not be given whilst either the registered childminder or parent(s)/guardian(s) is on holiday. Between two and four weeks' notice of termination is suggested. If it is necessary to end the agreement immediately, then payment in lieu of notice must be made unless the parties have agreed a variation.'

AliceK
06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Thank you. After my chat with mum this evening she has now texted to say she now understands and it's all been sorted now. She was also I concerned that I looked tired. I texted to say I am tired and worried about my DD. She has just texted back telling me if they can do anything to help over the weekend (they live just down the rd from me) to let them know. I'm touched by that. No-one else ever seems to care :(