PDA

View Full Version : worms advice quickly please

disney
10-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Can anyone please advice me? LO came today (5yr old) and mum thinks he has worms! Does anyone know the policy on this? Am I ok to care for him when I have other children plus my daughter's 6month old baby? Do I have the right to refuse caring for him or am I over-reacting? Thanks all!

xxx

deeb66
10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately worms are horrible little things that spread like wildfire!

I would normally exclude for 24 hours until treated.

Everyone and I do mean everyone needs to be treated that includes all of your family and every single family member of all the minded children in the house.

If one person is left untreated you could all possibly be re-infected again :(

disney
10-06-2008, 07:37 AM
so what should i do now as mum as asked me to drop him off at school still drop him off but i cant pick him up is it ok for him to go school x

Pipsqueak
10-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Disney I would ring mum and tell her to collect, take to doctors for confirmation and get treated - exclude as Dee says for a minimum of 24hrs.
If he is infected (again as Dee says) everyone needs to be treated - all mindees and families, your family etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/worms2.shtml

Worms are pretty common in kids.

angeldelight
10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Hope you get it sorted out

I agree with the others

Good luck

Angel xx

disney
10-06-2008, 09:35 AM
i feel like i dont want to pick him up tonight as i have spent ages diinfecting the house . but cant find any thing that says i have the right to exclude it says children can go school and nursey xx

FizzysFriends
10-06-2008, 09:45 AM
When my DD was at a minders and one child had worms I was told to take DD to the doctors and get her treated just incase but the doctor said it was nonsense that she needed treated and the CM was being over protective. I insisted that I wasn't going anywhere without some treatment and they gave it me to shut me up.

fionamal
10-06-2008, 09:45 AM
There was a spate of worms up here for a while and the schools and nurseries were excluding the children for 48hours as it was spreading like wildfire.

Might be worth while telling parent that you cannot collect from school and not take the child tomorrow either and that way keeps the infection process to a minimum

tulip0803
10-06-2008, 09:48 AM
i feel like i dont want to pick him up tonight as i have spent ages diinfecting the house . but cant find any thing that says i have the right to exclude it says children can go school and nursey xx

That's what the info I have says. Like the others say I personally would exclude until treatment has been started and you will have to treat everyone too. You will also have to confidentially inform parents that there has been a case of worms. :(

Blaze
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM

it is your setting...if you feel it is everybody's best interest to exclude then do so...i would!:)

Blaze
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
PS..It also says no exclusion for headlice...but lots of us do until child has been treated!:)

caza
10-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Hope you manage to get it all sorted out!

Mollymop
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Good luck sorting out and I hope the lo is ok soon. xx

disney
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
have rang mum she didnt sound very happy she said she didnt think that the other children could catch it only if he was to put fingers in their mouth . i said he does put fingers in babys mouth and that on the internet i read it can catch from holding hands and toys but she said i was wronge and it could b
the dog . i also read that a dog cant give thread worms or catch them :( x

also it states you dont need to keep them of school :angry: even though you can catch it

Pipsqueak
10-06-2008, 01:20 PM
as someone else said - your setting your rules.

disney
19-06-2008, 02:11 PM
in the end i picked him up from school as mum could not get out from work , but i only had him for half an hour as his nan meet me at the park and took him home so i did not have to take him back home after i had cleaned the house from top to bottom :) mum treated him that night and he came the next day as she said the stuff he took worked straight the way . how ever mum said he did go to the toilet and she did not see any thing so she couldnt be sure he had any poor:littleangel: but hes still itching im afraid x