PDA

View Full Version : toys from home??

adele1985
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
do you allow toys from home

personally i dont mind children bringing toys from home as long as parents are aware that if anything gets broken its not my responsability

My mindee (9) came today with a bag full of moshi's, monster high dolls and a craft set to make neacklaces

other mindee (4) obversly wanted to join in with her - she wasent happy with this so i explained that she either had to let LO join in or put them away she eventually let her join in

when mum picked her up she told mum that I made her share with LO

mums reponse was along the lines of well they where her responsability to keep them safe so it was up to her if she let other children play with them

I said I understood where she was coming from so maybee leave all toys at home in the future

she then informed me that it may be best that all children do this

i just ignored this comment, all toys from home are treat the same either they share with others or they go somewere safe untill mindees go home al other parents are more than happy with this

any advice ?

cathtee
06-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I do exactly the same, they share or they go away until they go home. If the parent isn't happy then I would tell her to keep their toys at home. The children have to learn to share surely they share the toys oy provide:)

caz3007
06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I only allow toddlers and babies to bring a comfort toy and that is only given at naptime or if they really need it and those toys it is made clear they are special and they belong to the said mindie.

Other toys go up on a shelf until they go home, or dont come here at all

BucksCM
06-07-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm the same as you...I do allow toys but explain to the parents as well as the children that anything brought into the house is either shared with the other children or put somewhere safe for the day. I have to say that not much is brought to mine unless it's a really wet day or during the holidays and the older children bring their DS.(they can have chill out time with them if needed...sometimes they forget they have them here!)

I would ignore the mum's comment and carry on as you have and if she brings it up again then just remind her that you allow toys if they are to be shared...so not to bring craft sets small bits )could have been a hazard to the younger children) or any toys thay child won't share.

Your business...your rules:D:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
i keep having to tell my schoolies not to bring toys.....they are usually small items which are easily swallowed by little ones...

lots of stuff end up on the shelf.

kellib
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't mind LO's bringing things if they are willing to share, if said items are causing arguments then I take the toy and put it away, it's usually then forgotten about until home time anyway! :D

Mouse
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I take a different view.

If a child brings a toy from home, they can play with it & don't have to share. I feel it is important for the other children to learn that they can't always have what they want. I also feel it is important for the child who brings the toy to learn that some times it is OK for them to say no to others. I've sat with children (mine & mindees) at toddler groups and watched other children take toys off them. They've had it drummed into them so much that they have to share that they just hand over toys when another child takes it. I like to teach them that they can say no to others.

But it's your house, so your rules. If you say children either have to share toys or not bring them along then parents will have to agree to that :thumbsup:

BucksCM
06-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I take a different view.

If a child brings a toy from home, they can play with it & don't have to share. I feel it is important for the other children to learn that they can't always have what they want. I also feel it is important for the child who brings the toy to learn that some times it is OK for them to say no to others. I've sat with children (mine & mindees) at toddler groups and watched other children take toys off them. They've had it drummed into them so much that they have to share that they just hand over toys when another child takes it. I like to teach them that they can say no to others.

But it's your house, so your rules. If you say children either have to share toys or not bring them along then parents will have to agree to that :thumbsup:

It is my house, my rules...but it's also nice to get a new perspective on things...thanks Mouse...I never thought of it that way.

Pauline
06-07-2012, 03:45 PM
It is my house, my rules...but it's also nice to get a new perspective on things...thanks Mouse...I never thought of it that way.

I agree, it is a good point Mouse and thank you for adding that, some good food for thought :thumbsup:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a little boy who always brings things from home but he will not share at all and will not share the toys at my house but he mum seems to think that it is ok for him not to share anything at all :angry:

So if he brings something with him I know take it off him and put up until he goes home.

fiona
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
some of my LO's bring toys and are sometimes very protective of these toys, we have a rule that if you bring it in then you must be prepared for others to want to touch and play, if you decied that you would rather they didnt then make sure you put it away once your done!! i dont force children to share (luckily i have never had a child not share) but i believe and it is just my opinion its good for children to learn that there are going to be times in their lives when they cant have something no matter how nicely they ask or how many times they say please. it also teaches children that some times your actions and choices may upset people but you dont your not being nasty.

singingcactus
06-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I take a different view.

This is how my house works too :) Makes a nice change to see someone else with the same ethos. I have my toys, my remote control, my phone, my laptop etc that I do not share with anyone - although I may on occasion do something that includes the kids like watch a download on the phone etc, and I don't feel that it is any different for the kids who make my home their second home to have the same privilege.

Tazmin68
07-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Hi
Me generally no toys from home other than a comfort toy. Schoolies def no toys have spare ds etc for them so I know what games they are playing plus if I allowed them to bring dsi then camera issues

LittleLegsCM
07-07-2012, 06:58 AM
I have a little boy who always brings things from home but he will not share at all and will not share the toys at my house but he mum seems to think that it is ok for him not to share anything at all :angry:

So if he brings something with him I know take it off him and put up until he goes home.

I have a LO who's the same! Refuses to share here (even attempts to grab all the toys for himself so no one else can play) in constantly explaining he can't hoard the toys, snatch them from others and try showing him how to play together with everyone but it's always ignored. He will then bring a little matchbox car or motorbike from home and screams the highest pitched excessive scream he can if anyone comes within yards of him while he has it!!
I've started taking them off him now at the door (in front of mum) and he has it back when going back to the door to go home.

jumpinjen
07-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I do but as soon as they cause aggro then they go away ready for home - my girls are home all day and share their things so I think it;s a bit unfair to allow a mindee to bring something and then not let them touch it - they don't have to let them play with it but if they aren't happy for others to touch it then it does go away - I don't need the hassle - but this suits my setting at the moment, I do take on board that it is good for children to have personal things and to be told no but they do get that in other situations - i might rethink if i just had mindees and my own children weren't here:D

mummyof3
07-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a three your old that brings something from home EVERY day despite me telling mum he will not share so I don't want her letting him. Well mum has zero control over child so he gets his own way so he doesn't 'kick off' as she puts it! :rolleyes:

As soon as the door closes I say pass toy to me I'll put this safe until you go home and he hands it me and that is that until he goes home again.

Why she struggles to do that I will never know :rolleyes:

blue bear
07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
If children bring toys from home I encourage them to let other children to have a turn when they are finished, it generally works well. I don't believe in taking toys off one child because another child wants a turn, they need to wait until the child who has it has finished.