PDA

View Full Version : Accomodating parents for your own holidays?

Bluebell
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I wondered how much you take into account parents convenience when taking holiday, and (if you do take them into consideration) when do you think is the best time to take holidays?

I am already thinking about my holidays next year (sad I know but this year I have booked 9 days holiday - only 6 of which affected families plus just over a week at Christmas to cover Christmas week and the bank holidays. Plus I don't work bank holidays) I want to make sure I have some decent time off next year. 4 of the days I had off were for exams and I really should have thought about having some proper time off to recoup my batteries!!

I want to take more holiday next year but would like to ensure I do it at a time when it suits families. I know I won't be able to please all of them but I think most people like to take time off at Christmas so will take time off then again.

I also know some people have siblings at school so finding care for them is tricky and this is usually when I am busiest so have been reluctant to take time off then but actually as a family if you were to take time off to look after children it would probably be best to do it in the holidays so you wouldn't have to pay out for the ones who are at school - does that make sense?

None of the childminders here charge for their holidays and they say it is because the parents will have to pay for care elsewhere but when I was working I either took time off myself, my husband took time off or a family member would have them. If I was given enough notice I would take the time off. My son went 1 day a week so it was easier to manage but I think if it was all week or 3/4 days it would be convenient to make sure I took my time off at the same time.

I don't want to dictate to families when they take the time off but on the other hand it makes sense that if they can take time off at the same time it would be better for them so they are not paying full rates when they have a holiday.

I am reluctant to take time off during the summer holidays as I know this is the longest / hardest time to cover for parents and also my hubby works in a seasonal job as do many others around here so it doesn't make sense then but I was thinking a week at Christmas and then maybe a week at Easter and maybe 2 of the half terms.

What does everyone else do?? What do the parents prefer?

Thank you

Pipsqueak
06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't is the long and short.

I book my holidays to suit me and mine and notify the parents.
If they ask me to help them source alternative childcare I tell them I'll try but cannot guarantee it.

AliceK
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't either. We go when we (or rather I) want to go. None of my childminders in the past have ever asked me as a parent when it would be convenient. I do though give out my holiday dates for the year around Jan / Feb time so they have loads of time to arrange suitable cover.

xxx

loocyloo
06-07-2012, 11:07 AM

If they ask me to help them source alternative childcare I tell them I'll try but cannot guarantee it.

same here.

i give notice in january of the week at easter, 2 weeks in summer and week at christmas. i then give as much notice of any other days as i can.

Shar
06-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I give the parents my holiday dates in Jan every year, we all co-ordinate the same weeks off. I have 5 weeks a year, all in sch hol's. 1 week at Easter, 2 weeks in Aug, Oct half term, and 1 week at Christmas. I get full pay for 4 of the weeks but take Oct half term unpaid.

cathtee
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi I take 4-5 weeks a year notifying in January, I take 2 in May then 2 either August or september depending on which I prefer, my parents just fit in around me. This year the 2 in august parents are having the time off to coincide with me, I don't charge for my hols.:)

Bridey
06-07-2012, 11:22 AM

I agree - there are just some times when I will put myself and my family first and not live my life around other people's needs and this is one of them. I would give plenty of notice and then it is up to the parents whether they want to match their holiday to mine or not - not the other way round.

Bluebell
06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Do all of you charge for your holiday? I want to start charging and I think this is why I am thinking I would like them to feel able to take their holidays at the same time.
I definitely won't accomodate them - just wondered if there was a pattern to when parents themselves take holiday. Interesting about your 2 weeks in August Cathtee and that your parents fitted in with you - it does make sense after all!

funemnx
06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't take the parents into consideration at all.

I hand out my years holidays usually by the end of January (more or less). They then have months to sort out an alternative.

I tend not to book time off in the school holidays as my children are all adults and I earn more in the holidays due to school children being off (plus it's more expensive to go away in the school hols!).

I usually take a week off in March (hubby's birthday), a week September/October time and then a few days before Christmas to the day after New Years Day. I don't work Bank Holidays.

My aim is to work towards taking 5 weeks off a year, including Bank Holidays. Only 2 of my parents had a problem this year. I had booked the Jubilee week off but 2 mums (1 one a single mum and 2nd hubby doesn't get paid for holidays) had trouble so I cancelled - when I booked it I hadn't realised it was 1/2 term hols anyway so didn't mind too much!

AliceK
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
No I don't charge for my holidays. I keep it simple, if I'm not available to work I don't get paid. Mind you my childminders in the past all charged for their hols so maybe I'm missing out by not charging :rolleyes:

xxx

little chickee
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I take 6 weeks holidays a year. Unpaid because that suits me. I feel that if my holidays and occasional days off are unpaid i don't feel bad about taking them.

I generally take 1 week at easter, 3 weeks in summer, 1 week in october and 1 week at Christmas. I also take occasional days off for funerals etc.

I try to give as much notice as possible but i take my holidays when it suits me.

Much as i like my job i need my time off too - as do my family.

Ripeberry
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Just give them lots of notice. Some won't like it but then that's tough! I've known a few CMs who have not had a week off for almost 5yrs! Because it would 'inconvenience' someone.
It's your business and you call the shots not the parents :thumbsup:

carol cameron
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I give out my holiday dates in january each year. I take four weeks at half fees. 2 weeks in August and 2 at Christmas. parents have plenty of time to sort out cover then. I don't work Bank holidays and charge full fee for them if child would normally have attended.

If I take any extra time above that I give as much notice as possible -taking 2 days next week and informed families in March- but will not charge any fee at all for those days.

Sometimes a day off can't be forseen with lots of notice eg a funeral but i do try very hard to work around these things and can call on other childminders to help out which at least offers parents an alternative to having to take a day off.I would then pay the childminder who was covering for me and the parent would pay me as usual.

Hope that helps.:)

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
I do tell parents clearly before they start with me that I take all my main holidays in the school holidays because dh is a teacher. Then they have the choice to use me or not.

I do charge for my holidays and I tell parents in Jan my main holidays.

I never book Christmas/New Year off because I find most of my parents take it as holiday anyway so I get the week+ off anyway.

I take 35 days holiday plus the BH

I also have 4 Paid Training Days written into my contract. I don;t always use them every year but they are there if I need them.

candy cat
06-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't I just tell them........ I was asked by one family could I stop taking hols in school hols as it is to expensive for them to go away.... er Why would I take my hols when my children are at school.:laughing:

The only time I didn't take time off was when I had a mum who had paid a long retainer then started a week before Easter......so took hols in Feb instead.

I have just sent my 2013/14 hols out and my parents are so grateful I do this. You can't please every parent so just decide and tell them :)

LauraS
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
As a parent, when all the children were of pre-school age, we used to take holidays in term time because it;s cheaper to travel. Now that the children are older, we take all our holiday in line with school holidays. It has also varied with our jobs. We can't necessarily take any old week off, however much notice is given, due to our commitments at work.

I don't think that you will be able to please everyone. In honesty I'd feel a little aggrieved as a parent paying for holidays so won't be charging for them, much as I'd like to.

QualityCare
06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I take two weeks in Aug always the same two ending on the bank holiday monday, Christmas eve until Jan 2nd and all bank holidays, all of which are on full pay, on the contracts l put l will take 4 weeks but never have done yet, parents have their holidays when they want but have always been able to arrange their own cover when l am away themselves or family no-one has ever had to use another minder.

Twinkles
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I usually take a week at Christmas , a week in May and the first two weeks of August off. Then the odd Friday and Monday to make a long weekend.

This year my DH who has started minding with me said ' I do't see why we need to take our two weeks in the summer as we have no school children of our own and it's expensive to take holiday then'

A parent who said ' oh please don't have the first two weeks of August as I can't get time off due to the Olympics '

Another parent who said ' Please don't take the last two weeks of August as we're away the first two and can't get cover '

So I've ended up not booking any summer holiday and I'm feeling really grumpy about it !
I feel really 'end of termish' and there's no respite in sight !

Next year it's going to be back to normal ! My way !

md0u0131
06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I've been a bit like you this year in that I've only booked 5 days and the rest has been odd days when the parents have already booked it.

I don't charge for holidays either, I charge when I'm available and don't when I'm not.

Maybe when I've done it a few more years I'll feel differently!!

lisa1968
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Like many others,I give my parents a list of holiday dates in January and they then work round me-it gives them plenty of notice and most of the time they have their holidays at the same time as me.It also gives them plenty of time to arrange other child care if needed.

caz3007
06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
My hubby has to book his holiday in January, so I do mine then too, so parents have lots of time to sort things out.

I have a 9 year old so we have May half term, a week in the middle of the summer hols and I close now between xmas and New Year. I also only have one full timer and mum has the week off just before the summer hols and said if I wanted to take the days I only have her DD then thats fine, so I have booked the Monday and Friday off, so 2 long weekends but mum wanted me to work the rest as she wants to decorate

kellib
06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't, it's hard enough getting time when my own family can agree on holidays never mind taking at least 4 other families into account!

Chimps Childminding
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I book mine to suit us!! My sons are all adults so dont really need to be off in the school holidays, although in the past (when my sons were still at school) I had Feb and October Half Terms off just so it wasn't so busy when the weather was more likely to be rubbish!!

It is impossible to fit in with all parents, so I give as much notice as I can and if my friend can help out she will, but not always possible.

I don't charge for my holidays, and usually have 1 week in the spring, a week in summer (tagged on to Bank Holidays when possible), 1 in the autumn (depending on if/when we are going away) and close over the christmas school break, oh and I don't work Bank Holidays either!

charleyfarley
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
This is the first year I have booked any time off in 6 years, I gave my parents my holiday dates as soon as I booked it May 2011!!!!

I thought this would be plenty of notice for parents but no, one set still had me down for working 2 days when I'm not here!!!!!!:angry:

I've now warned my parents I am going away in 2014, just hope that's plenty of notice!!!

So after putting everyone else first and not booking any time off in the last 6 years I am going to think about my family and me for a change!!

Carol xx

lozzy23
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I have taken the same 5 weeks off for the last 4 years - the three half terms and two weeks off in August. I do not get paid for my holidays and I confirm my dates in a newsletter in September.

This year will be slightly different as I am taking the week off between Christmas and the New Year. Last year I was available, my full timer took the whole time off, parents only let me know at 6 o'clock (pick up time) on 23/12. Another family said they would not bring their children to give me a break! So I only had 1 LO on the Wednesday and 1 schoolie on the Friday. So decided I would close. I will miss the money, but will be pleased to be able to pack everything away for the whole of the Christmas period.

Tazmin68
07-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Like others I do not charge I'd I am on holiday . I have already booked my holiday for next year . I put the details on my May newsletter so parents had more than 12 months notice. If needed I will give parents details of who may help with childcare while I am away. The only other time I don't work is between Xmas and new year as too many times has a mindee broke a present of my own childrens!!!!

rickysmiths
07-07-2012, 09:20 AM
This is the first year I have booked any time off in 6 years, I gave my parents my holiday dates as soon as I booked it May 2011!!!!

I thought this would be plenty of notice for parents but no, one set still had me down for working 2 days when I'm not here!!!!!!:angry:

I've now warned my parents I am going away in 2014, just hope that's plenty of notice!!!

So after putting everyone else first and not booking any time off in the last 6 years I am going to think about my family and me for a change!!

Carol xx

Goodness me how on earth do you work with no break? You don't have to go away to have a few days off. I would never survive without my holiday every year and we rarely go away.

Demonjill
07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I take my holidays to suit me and my family not everyone else - if it doesnt suit them when im taking mine - tough.

I dont tell them how many weeks im taking or when and def not as far in advance as January as I dont know myself.
My contracts say i will give 4 weeks notice of any holidays - some times i can manage 6-8 weeks notice. I have to coincide with my husband who doesnt get his hols to the last minute.
Alot can also change from January to when i want to be off on holiday later in the year and it may be a case that i cannot afford to take much holiday as i do not charge when im off.

TBH if parents can give me 4 weeks notice to end their contract completely and ive to try and find new work to pay the bills in just 4 weeks im sure they can in the same time frame get someone to look after their children or take time off themselves:D