PDA

View Full Version : GRRRRRR

mushpea
06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
yesterday I dish a child up cheese and crackers for lunch somthing this 4year old eats reguarly,, she takes one nibble then says 'im full' then sits crying at the table, I ask her whats wrong and she says nothing, I ask her if she likes the cheese and crackers she says yes so I say why dont you want to eat them, 'because im full', all she had for snack was half an apricot and 2 slice of apple and this child is not a small eater.
this morning dad drops of and says to her if you feel unwell today to let me know, when child had gone to play I say to dad what happend yesterday, he said she didnt eat last night and said she had a headache but we didnt belive her
I walk through to child and say why didnt you tell me you was unwell yester day? she has trouble explaining things somtimes and just says 'cause I was unwell' then says quite proudly 'but i had chocloate cake':angry:
it makes me so mad that I chuck good food away and she goes home and eats all the yummy things so basicly being rewarded for not eating lunch here!
sorry no real point just needed to rant

Bridey
06-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Is it worth getting mad about? Today's another day :)

If my child was normally a good eater, but sat crying and refusing to eat both lunch and dinner and said they didn't feel well (which I know she didn't say at yours) then I would probably tempt them chocolate cake too. Just to get something into them. Its not about rewarding bad behaviour - she wasn't being naughty, she was under the weather.

If she then embarked on a long pattern of this behaviour then, of course, I would look at it differently.

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree I would be a bit miffed if a child had been given Chocolate cake.

They should not be rewarded for not eating their main meals and especially if they were feeling ill.

I would be offering plain toast and water take it or leave it. If they were really feeling ill then they don't need the food immediately and if they are playing up they don't need it and will soon eat a healthy meal when they realise they are hungry.

If a child knows they get treats when they act up for whatever reason where do you then draw the line in the future?

Bridey
06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I agree that the minders shouldn't offer the child cake etc but .... if it were my own child, he was normally a very good eater, and we were alone and he was under the weather then I would be pampering him a little. The same way that, if I felt under the weather, I would be pampering myself!

Helen79
06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
What parents feed hours later out of childcare hours is their own business and getting angry about a child having a bit chocolate cake when they're ill is a bit ott.
She may have gone home and eaten a really healthy dinner and had some pudding. I doubt parents are doing it deliberately to undermine you.
If my kids are feeling a bit poorly (not tummy ache) then I treat them as they're poorly and it helps them feel a bit better.
Do you never eat chocolate cake or ice cream to cheer yourself up when you're poorly?

I agree that if it was a ongoing battle to get the child to eat and it was a huge behavioural problem then I would be miffed if they were getting rewarded for not eating healthily but this is a one off.

md0u0131
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd have done the same as the parent too. I don't like the idea of foods being rewards or punishment so if chocolate was what they fancied at that time then Id have let them. If it was happening on a regular basis than that's different.

mushpea
06-07-2012, 03:53 PM
the child wasnt ill ! she told her parents this and even dad said he didnt think she was ill,, she twists them around her little finger and when told mum later on what she said about the cake she said oh yes she wouldnt eat her dinner so we gave her choclolate cake! I have had this child over 2 years and I know when shes not 'right' and she had been fine all day,, she just knows that when she goes home she gets given what she wants so every now and then she just wont eat here,, i have tried telling the parents they need to supply food but then we get sandwichs with 'slices' of choclolate spread or jam in them, its so thick she cant even eat them without it squiding out every where