PDA

View Full Version : 9 month LO

kellib
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
From September I'm going to be looking after a 9 month old little girl, what sort of things, (toys really as I have everything practical), should I have for her?

It's been a long time since I had a baby in my care and even longer since it was a girl! :laughing:

sarak31
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I think it can vary so much at that age what stage they are at and what they like to play with. You could get some basic bits like stacking cups, coloured bricks and shape sorters but I wouldn't spend lots until you know what she likes to do. Perhaps you could speak to mum / dad during a settling in session about what she likes to do or play with at home then you could get a few bits more geared to her interest and development stage.

Trpta108
05-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Treasure baskets are usually good for that age.:)

The Juggler
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
if you can borrow one of those large mirrors they are fab - i get one every time I have new baby start and they spend ages looking in it whilst playing.

treasure baskets

a pop up tent with various objects (sensory or anythign really)

boxes they can fil and empty

music time with instruments

bead frames

md0u0131
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Make sure you're set up for crawling as she's unlikely to be walking, so some kind of foam crawling area outside maybe?

Treasure baskets would get my vote too!

Demonjill
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Its a popular age lol I love it:thumbsup:

I have a 9 month starting in next few weeks.

in the past with this age group(always had boys though) they have loved the mirror, primo (first stage lego) not sure you still get it (it was my daughters and she is 15!! its bigger than even duplo)
They also loved the activity table as they could pull up on furniture and stand for a wee while and press the buttons on it.
They love touch feely board books, spoons and pots (not with a sore head though:laughing:), tunnel to crawl through and a softish ball that they can grasp to pick up.

fluff1975
05-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Something to pull up to standing on, sturdy truck or walker thingy
click-clack-caterpillar (ELC) type toy
stacking cups/bricks/rings;

mrstom
06-07-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm just coming to the end of a two week stint with a nine month old girl (she's coming back to me in September). I've mostly been shadowing her as she is pulling herself up on everything then launching herself away. That's all she seems to want to do! Luckily she's my only mindee at the moment.

Definitely get yourself set up for a crawler/pulled upper and I second the treasure basket idea. Another thing I'd recommend is some kind of all in one waterproof to let LO crawl around in the garden - mindee has loved doing that whilst my two older boys play around her.

Good luck - I've found it really tiring and I've got muscles I didn't know I had (all that squatting and crawling around!)

Rebecca Foster
06-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Hi

I have Baby Gyms, treasure baskets, stacking cups, blocks, mirrors, musical toys etc.

Hope this helps ;)

LauraS
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Current favourites with my 9 month old:

1. The remote control. It's all the little rubber buttons that apparently make it the hot favourite.

2. The silicon pastry brush. Same rubbery feel.

3. Bead maze.

4. Blanket and willing adult with stamina, for endurance-level peekaboo.

5. Anything with an unusual texture, like the plastic linking rings which have stripes/knobbles,indentations, or crinkly fabrics etc.

We also have a sea of plastic which is largely ignored :o

kellib
06-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Don't have a garden so don't have to worry about her crawling about outside etc.

I've got a baby walker and loads of duplo lego etc so might be okay.

What are treasure baskets?