PDA

View Full Version : EYFS Briefing for Childminders

bandlady
05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi

I am going on the above course tonight and after all the threads on here during the last week about conflicting information I am so not looking forward to what we are going to be told this evening. Hopefully as it is a course especially for childminders we can but hope that all information given is specifically for us!!

I feel that I have worked very hard over the last three years to bring my childminding setting up to the standards required under EYFS and I certainly do not want to make many changes. I really feel that so many changes were made in 2008 which we all worked hard to implement and get our heads around why now do we need to make more changes.

I was so against implementing EYFS into my setting I felt it was going to take away my overall involvement with the children I was caring for and was just about paperwork I have since realized that it has given me a whole new outlook on my childminding everything I do with the children is for a reason and I work so much more professionally with that understanding. I just hope that for all our hard work is not in vain and we do not end up with the two tier childcare system that it use to be.

Will let you know how the training goes

Denise

Bridey
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM
My course was quite good fun. She pointed out a few changes to us ... mainly the fact that a lot of "shoulds" have now changed to "musts" but I think most of us will find we were doing them anyway. :)

TooEarlyForGin?
05-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi

I was so against implementing EYFS into my setting I felt it was going to take away my overall involvement with the children I was caring for and was just about paperwork I have since realized that it has given me a whole new outlook on my childminding everything I do with the children is for a reason and I work so much more professionally with that understanding. I just hope that for all our hard work is not in vain and we do not end up with the two tier childcare system that it use to be.

Must admit I felt very much the same way Denise but decided I either embraced it or quit my job. I embraced it and am so proud of what I have achieved over the last few years, although still felt that some of the stuff we have to do was paperwork for paperworks sake. Which is why I have felt very deflated at the prospect of deregulation.

Enjoy your course, we did the other night, we were the "loud opinionated - older group" but we had a giggle as well.

funemnx
05-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I've just back from my revised EYFS course.

Some things I'm glad about - not having to do summative reports except the 2/3 year old check (playschool might do that anyway).
No written risk assesments (might continue with that one).
No written policies and procedures (will definately still do that one).
Change Safeguarding policy to include phones and cameras - no problem. Change to 7 areas of L & D - fine.
Not having to do L & D folders for children who are at nursery or playschool for a full day (will still do photo scrapbook).

loocyloo
06-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Some things I'm glad about - not having to do summative reports except the 2/3 year old check (playschool might do that anyway).
Change Safeguarding policy to include phones and cameras - no problem. Change to 7 areas of L & D - fine.
Not having to do L & D folders for children who are at nursery or playschool for a full day (will still do photo scrapbook).

we've been told we still need to, as need to share ( even more ) with parents and thats a way of doing so!

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I have never done them.

No comment was made when Ofsted Inspected me last year. They complimented me on my LJs and said they were among the best they had ever seen.

I got good with outstandings.

I feel all the information is in the LJ and on the developmental sheets and why should I effectively write a report on any child? I am not a teacher and I am not a school. Both I and my parents know exactly what their children are doing and achieving without so why make work?

FussyElmo
06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
My course was quite good fun. She pointed out a few changes to us ... mainly the fact that a lot of "shoulds" have now changed to "musts" but I think most of us will find we were doing them anyway. :)

Ours was like that too :thumbsup:

Less emphasis on the paperwork to do obs when "they delight and amaze you "
love that :)

bandlady
06-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Our training course was very similar to this nothing to scary a bit of tweaking with policies to bring them up to date - very much think the same of you will continue to do as I am doing implement any new changes not too worried about the two year check as most is covered already.

I felt that we already know more from this forum about what is going on (thank you Penny and Sarah) - they would not commit to what changes were happening about variations just told us to contact Ofsted and log all conversations etc to ensure that we are being giving the correct advice.

One area that was highlighted is that our local Childminding DO's are expecting us to do more paperwork than Ofsted expect. I do not belong to the local network and do the minimum amount of paperwork I can. No daily dairies, no journals - just lots of photos and lots of verbal conversations with parents etc and in Ofsted's eyes that was enough to get me an outstanding so I will certainly not be increasing the amount of paperwork that I am already doing.

I came away from the 'briefing' with the feeling just carry on as normal implement any changes that we have to and most importantly it is not worth stressing out about a few minor changes.

Good luck everyone

Denise