PDA

View Full Version : Child always in pull ups

smurfette
04-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Finding this a bit difficult .. Mum wants to potty train little one aged 2.5 years .. She has a baby brother about 4 months old and mum says she was trained before he came along. I only have her one or two half days a month and thought mum was potty training her in Pants at home but putting her in pull ups for mine as she isn't telling me she needs to go .. She is quite shy and I don't have her that long. Turns Out she is using pull ups all the time and when she is withme she just wets them like a nappy , mum even gave me a nappy to put her in yesterday in case we were going out rather than 'wasting the pull ups' .. I don't see the point really and this is going on three weeks now. In one way yes it is up to her how and when she potty trains but I feel stupid handing her back saying she went through several Pairs of pull ups while with me and I end up feeling cross at the child because she isn't trying to keep them dry or telling me she needs to go. She does go if I take her and sometimes wees, she is happy enough to sit. I did suggest to mum last week to put pants inside the Pull ups so she would know she was wet but she hasn't. What to do??

JCrakers
04-07-2012, 10:15 AM
It's hard to give parents advice isn't it. You don't have her very long at all so it must be really hard to establish a routine.

Personally I think potty training along with a new sibling is not a good idea and she isn't showing any signs of being ready :(
I'm not sure what I'd do as you only have her a few hours a month. I'd probably say something to mum about her not being ready for it and to leave it a while but whether she will listen or not is the problem.
Hope someone can help other than my waffle :D

Katiekoo
04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
My dd never 'got it' while in pull ups, they are just as absorbant as nappies, but they're annoying because you have to undress the child completely to change them! We did put my dd in pull ups for a long time before potty training to get her feeling more like a big girl.
The child probably can't tell any difference, if you have a good relationship with Mum you could suggest knickers instead, it's hard advising parents!

smurfette
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Ended up Putting her in a naPpy to go home in as mum had only put in two pull ups and she wet again. Talked to mum on pick up she maintains crèche had her nearly trained before she left on maternity leave and said she was doing well Til she went on a long journey and put her in pull ups. Not sure her sleep pattern is great which doesn't help if she is tired either mum said she slept Til 8 this morning which she felt was too long :eek:. She is playing around with her naps too which she probably needs more than ever if she is training. Suggested she Put her in pants or left her for a few weeks Til she was more ready and said new sibling was a big adjustment. She said she didn't want to force her but she was finding it difficult and if she was in pants she had more accidents! Child is quite bright with very good speech so I just think she isn't ready and isn't bothered. Feel a bit as though she feels the crèche trained her So maybe I should be?!!!

Bridey
04-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Pull-Ups have their uses (nap time for example) but I have never known a child to successfully toilet train whilst wearing them.

hectors house
04-07-2012, 12:38 PM
She needs to feel wet so she makes the connection between what caused her to be uncomfortable. Pull ups are a waste of time, child doesn't care whether they pull up or unstick - still a nappy to them.

Potty training here too at moment, but the mum stayed home last Thur, Fri, Sat & Sunday and I continued from Monday - child will be 3 in November, doing well with wees but won't poo on potty, does it in pants or waits til has nap time or bed time nappy on!

Let your mindees mum have the wet carpet, especially if you only have child occasionally! I expect child has regressed since birth of new baby, I would prob leave it for couple of months and start how you & parents mean to carry on.