PDA

View Full Version : Using upstairs for sleeping

cockatoos
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Hi there - wondered whether any one can give me a little bit of advice. My third under 5 starts in a couple of weeks and I think I will have to have one sleeping upstairs. Currently they sleep downstairs.

There isn't anything about not using upstairs on my certificate and Ofsted inspector saw upstairs. Original risk assessment didn't include sleeping upstairs. I will obviously risk assess before I put a child to sleep up there ; fit stair gate at top of stairs, use baby monitor etc.

Is this enough or do I have to inform Ofsted as well? Does it have to go on my certificate as well? I will let parents know but do I need their permission?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Amy

BuggsieMoo
03-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I use upstairs as well. As you have no restrictions on your cert for using upstairs - others have things like may use whole house other than big bedroom upstairs to the right. Then you do not need to inform Ofsted. Just make sure you RA's are in place.

Kiddleywinks
03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd double check ofsted with this one.
I am allowed to use upstairs and it specifies each of the rooms on my certificate

Rebecca Foster
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I would contact ofsted just to be sure:)

clareelizabeth1
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Each time I see questions about upstairs it makes me thankful I live in a bungalow.

rickysmiths
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
My whole house is and has always been registered and they have never identified all of the rooms upstairs or downstairs.

If you are not clear if your whole house is registered or not give Ofsted a ring and ask. If it isn't you will need to RA the areas you want to use and ask for them to be registered.

LauraS
03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I have one room registered upstairs but the inspector put me off using it because she said that I would need to closely monitor any child sleeping up there. Of course I realised that, but had planned to use a monitor mostly, with physical checks maybe every half hour or so. She said that this would not be enough and I would need to physically check the child at least every ten minutes, taking any other children upstairs with me to do so. That is pointless for me as I'd only disturb the sleeping child by doing that.

So, you might want to consider doing something else if you can't check constantly.

bunyip
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
My certificate specifies that I cannot use the back bedroom, so I take it that the certificate lists restrictions: what you are not allowed to do, rather than what you are allowed to do. Same goes for "must not provide overnight care."

No harm in calling Ofsted to confirm.

I also heard that thing about checking a child every 10 minutes, even if you have a monitor. Might as well not let the poor sausage settle down in the first place.

catlyn
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
again we find it depends on which inspector you get....parts of my upstairs are registered....spare room bathroom...but not my bedroom or loft room....they are named on the certificate....and the inspector never mentioned checking the children....just looked at the room and came back downstairs??

VeggieSausage
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I only registered one room upstairs, they still look at the whole house so check you are registered to use it...