PDA

View Full Version : An example of 'clever wording' by LA

Penny1959
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Elsewhere I have commented about LA's being good at wording things so it seems like you have to do something and no options - when in fact there usually are options - or sometimes they are not telling the 'whole truth'

So example from my LA

Said at revised EYFS information session

Worcestershire advised that safeguarding training is renewed every TWO years - so taken in relation to wording in revised EYFS where it says 'Taking account of any advise from LSCB' - I and others assumed we had to renew every two years.

Today we get sent an audit from LSCB - where it says maximum time scale for renewal of training THREE years.

So I check with my friend who still works for Worcestershire LA - and ask for clarification

She says - TWO years good practice actual requirment must be renewed every THREE years.

So as far as I am concerned - I will renew between 2.5 years and 3 years depending on availabilty of courses - rather than looking for a course between 1.5 years and 2 years.

A big difference over time is costs - as in 12 years could have renewed 6 times rather than the required 4 times - thus saving the cost of 2 courses (plus of course you time andtravel costs)

As I say clever with words - why could they not just say 'Must be renewed every three years but it is considered good practice to renew every 2 years'

Penny :)

rickysmiths
03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Because they want to make money on the courses :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was a requirement to renew just to do it in the first place and good practice to re do every three years and when you do do a course approved
by your local safeguarding board.

Must go and read the document again!

miffy
03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
As I say clever with words - why could they not just say 'Must be renewed every three years but it is considered good practice to renew every 2 years'

Perhaps you should suggest that to them Penny :thumbsup:

Could save people quite a bit of money (and time and effort) depending on how much the courses are.

Miffy xx

Penny1959
03-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Because they want to make money on the courses :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was a requirement to renew just to do it in the first place and good practice to re do every three years and when you do do a course approved
by your local safeguarding board.
Must go and read the document again!

That is what is say RS - but our LSCB says must renew every 3 years

So you need to check your local requirements

Carol M
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I renewed mine last weekend! Must say it's been 3 years this September I last did Safeguarding training.
I actually enjoyed it, although watched a couple of distressing videos. The trainer was fab ( in more than one way :blush:) and he definitely knew his stuff. I did talk to him about the new instruction from our LA to renew every 2 years and I got the impression he thought it a bit OTT and explained not much changes in 2 years.
Carol xx

rickysmiths
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
That is what is say RS - but our LSCB says must renew every 3 years

So you need to check your local requirements

It isn't a requirement here. When I did my EYFS training last week I asked when there were going to be more Safeguarding ones because there have been very few this year and mine was three years old in April. I was told there will be more in September and not to worry nothing had changed in Herts since I did it last time!! It was the same trainer who I have known for years. So in Herts it is good practice as it has always been, but not a requirement.

Donkey
03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
don't get me started on this one!!!

our LCSB do not like taking of photographs and you will not believe some of the things that has been said :eek:

we must only use a polaroid instamatic camera was one...
errrrr ok, how many blurred non usable shots do I get???

:(

Penny1959
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
It isn't a requirement here. When I did my EYFS training last week I asked when there were going to be more Safeguarding ones because there have been very few this year and mine was three years old in April. I was told there will be more in September and not to worry nothing had changed in Herts since I did it last time!! It was the same trainer who I have known for years. So in Herts it is good practice as it has always been, but not a requirement.

Personally I think that if the LA / LSCB arranged training when changes were made - and we were required to do the training (because of the changes) alot of money and time could be saved