PDA

View Full Version : More mindees - compact double buggy and compact car seat??

greenfields
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm currently childminding a 9mth old and have 2 more children starting in September. The 2 starting are 3yrs and 18mths. This means I'll be taking 9mth old and 18mth old to school in the morning to drop off and pick up the 3yr old.

I have a small car but I'm swapping my old(er) small car with my partner's new small car. He has three 'proper' seats at the back (3 seats with 3 proper/full seat belts). Can I get a car seat in the middle seat? It's narrow but I'm sure I read somewhere here that narrow car seats can be be bought.

Also, I think a double buggy would be useful but that would need to be compact to fit in the boot.
(Yes yes, I know I could change the car but can't afford it yet, only on 3rd month of childminding ;)).
I've borrowed a Quinny (Zap I think??) before and found it a nightmare to fold and unfold!

Thanks. :)

~Grasshopper~
03-07-2012, 11:08 AM
i have a corsa and my car double is a mothercare side by side mpv. its perfect size to fit in my boot and i can easily fit my single pram ontop of it. x

what car is it?

i cant fit 3 across my back seat, i have loads of different carseats. i usually walk tho x

greenfields
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
i have a corsa and my car double is a mothercare side by side mpv. its perfect size to fit in my boot and i can easily fit my single pram ontop of it. x

what car is it?

i cant fit 3 across my back seat, i have loads of different carseats. i usually walk tho x

My partner's soon-to-be-mine car is a new Hyundai i10. I can also turn off the front airbag in this car (unlike my older car). I've been reading up and it seems I'm safe to put a seat in the front with no air bag - is this right?

I'll have a look at that pram now, thanks. It'd be easier to walk but the school is in the next village.

tulip0803
03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi

If possible I would try to keep all the children in the back - even with the airbag turned off as it is statistically safer for them to travel in the back than the front even when restrained correctly. However their is no law against it providing they are in the correct seat. If I have to I put the rearward facing in the front with the airbag turned off.

I have a Britax Prince car seat which is narrow and lightweight but a proper car seat instead of 123 booster. It can also be used on a lap belt too. Halfords and some Mothercare stores will fit car seats to make sure they fit securely so they will give you choices before you buy one.

Monkey26
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I believe Britax prince are the narrowest bucket style seats - check their website for compatibility :)
I used to own a Cossatto side by side double buggy can't remember which model but it was nice 'n compact :) xx

blue bear
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I have a MacLaine twin triumph, nice and small when folded. I'm going to be listing it on eBay soon.

The Juggler
03-07-2012, 09:21 PM
i have just got the silvercross pop duo, very compact and light to push :thumbsup: