PDA

View Full Version : Cms potrayed on Coronation Street

butterfly
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Is anyone else getting slightly fed up of the way childminders are protrayed on Coronation Street at the moment?

Fizz and Maria seem to use the same childminder - a few weeks a go they were both stressed having been let down by their cm due to illness and today she has no care due to the cm being on holiday!

Obviously these things happen but we never hear any of the good things about the particular childminder! I just think this popular soap is sending out sublimnal messages to parents that childminders are not reliable :(

GILLIAN H
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
i so agree x

Bridey
02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Perhaps they should introduce a storyline featuring the fact that their unreliable childminder was not registered so they reported her to both the police and the tax office and she was thrown into prison for her evil deeds! They then find a wonderful registered childminder who is always lovely and smiling and the children are always happy and Maria & Fizz can be seen rushing over there to pay her on time...

Then the whole street signs the petition and stage a sit-in at the Rovers to highlight deregulation :laughing:

Ballette
02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Perhaps they should introduce a storyline featuring the fact that their unreliable childminder was not registered so they reported her to both the police and the tax office and she was thrown into prison for her evil deeds! They then find a wonderful registered childminder who is always lovely and smiling and the children are always happy and Maria & Fizz can be seen rushing over there to pay her on time...

Then the whole street signs the petition and stage a sit-in at the Rovers to highlight deregulation :laughing:

Haha Bridey, that is so funny! :)

samb
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Love it - you should write to corrie with your ideas! - We will back your ideas :thumbsup:

BucksCM
02-07-2012, 10:08 PM

:laughing::clapping::laughing::laughing::laughing:

gazanne
03-07-2012, 07:54 AM
I think one of the characters should become a childminder that way everyone can see some of the problems we have with parents.

catlyn
03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I've just spoken to a member of the GMTV show about this...I actually rang about a different matter (the failure of martin lewis to mention this morning that childcare vouchers were accepted by childminders) the lady on the phone was laughing when i told her the current storyline and said she would pass my comments on to the team (GMTV not corrie) LOL so you never know...it might get mentioned this week on GMTV

AliceK
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I've just spoken to a member of the GMTV show about this...I actually rang about a different matter (the failure of martin lewis to mention this morning that childcare vouchers were accepted by childminders) the lady on the phone was laughing when i told her the current storyline and said she would pass my comments on to the team (GMTV not corrie) LOL so you never know...it might get mentioned this week on GMTV

I saw this as well. He didn't make it very clear about vouchers did he. He was talking about £1000, well that would take 4 months in vouchers as the limit is £243 per month and there isn't 4 mths worth of summer hols so I would think that could confuse parents.

Anyway good for you for ringing them :thumbsup:

xxx

rickysmiths
03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I saw this as well. He didn't make it very clear about vouchers did he. He was talking about £1000, well that would take 4 months in vouchers as the limit is £243 per month and there isn't 4 mths worth of summer hols so I would think that could confuse parents.

Anyway good for you for ringing them :thumbsup:

xxx

I didn't see it but I suspect if he was taking about £1000 he was referring to the approx saving to parents over 12 months if they use Childcare vouchers.

AliceK
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I didn't see it but I suspect if he was taking about £1000 he was referring to the approx saving to parents over 12 months if they use Childcare vouchers.

No he was saying if you sacrifice £1000 of your salary and you pay approx 30% in tax you are saving £300. There was no mention of the fact that there is a cap on how much you can sacrifice each month. Considering this was about parents getting help to pay for childcare over the summer hols I just thought it was a bit misleading.

xxx

singingcactus
03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I think most people realise that the soap operas portray everyone and everything in the worst possible light. Surely people these days don't believe that soaps are for real? I don't watch it but can't imagine that childminding in general has anything to worry about by the portrayal of an unreliable childminder on coronation street.
Soaps do seem to big up the drama wherever possible, otherwise I assume no-one would watch them. A completely reliable childminder would not allow the crisis for whatever storyline was sparked by the panic. How boring to watch kids go to childminders, parents go to work on time, parents pick up on time and pay on time every day, with no drama or crisis in case someone was offended by it.
I wouldn't let a soap opera worry you.

Ripeberry
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
But they should also make people aware of the 'unregulated' CMs out there. Make them into a drama. Do people want to risk their children to them? It seems that some do just to save a few pounds :rolleyes: :mad: