PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour Management

Keeley77
02-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi,

I'm really interested in doing some training in managing children's behaviour. I now the basics such as positive language/rewards/ignoring bad behaviour praising good behaviour etc but would like to learn more.

My local children's centre runs parenting classes now and again which covers this but they're not running anything in the next few months and I'm not sure how in-depth they go.

Can anyone recommend any on-line training or books etc.

Thanks for reading - and thank you to those who respond.

:clapping:

EmmaReed84
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Not the same as parent training but still good... My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and I found a forum, on there, there is a parenting section and someone has written a load of essays about behaviour... It is interesting reading and can be used across the board, not just ADHD kids...

Things such as distance yourself from the child's behaviour so it is not your fault they are in a time out... example, you tell X off for jumping on the sofa, you warn them and then put them in a time out... You are mean because YOU put them in time out... Another way is You "remind" X of the rules about furniture and it is their choice to either follow the rules or break the rules... however breaking the rule has consequences such as time out... X carries on jumping on the sofa and you say "You have chosen to go on a time out because you didn't follow the rules"

There is loads more to it than that, that is just my brief babbling about it lol... But again there is some intersting reading... Not a course as such...

Sorry not really much help lol

Helen79
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I've done a few parenting behaviour courses and don't like the techniques that they teach. 'How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk' has been a very useful book for me.

Kiddleywinks
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Not the same as parent training but still good... My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and I found a forum, on there, there is a parenting section and someone has written a load of essays about behaviour... It is interesting reading and can be used across the board, not just ADHD kids...

Things such as distance yourself from the child's behaviour so it is not your fault they are in a time out... example, you tell X off for jumping on the sofa, you warn them and then put them in a time out... You are mean because YOU put them in time out... Another way is You "remind" X of the rules about furniture and it is their choice to either follow the rules or break the rules... however breaking the rule has consequences such as time out... X carries on jumping on the sofa and you say "You have chosen to go on a time out because you didn't follow the rules"

There is loads more to it than that, that is just my brief babbling about it lol... But again there is some intersting reading... Not a course as such...

Sorry not really much help lol

That sounds really interesting, can you let me know what the site's called please Emma?

watgem
02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
me too please Emma:)

EmmaReed84
02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Not sure if I am allowed to say on here or not... I will but if I am not it may get deleted...

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130 There is quite a lot of reading, I literally copied and pasted each thread into a word doc and saved them all in a file then printed them off and stapled each section put it in a folder and started reading through them.

I have the files on my comp if anyone wants them x

If it has worked, I have added the particular file about the behaviour, there is a bit of waffling, but is very interesting