PDA

View Full Version : Child from Slovakia

JumpingJacks
02-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm starting to care for a baby (9 months) in September, whose parents are from Slovakia. Whilst the baby is still young and the parents would prefer her to be bought up speaking English she will still learn Slovakian. I'd like to talk to the pre school children a little more about the country and LO's culture etc. Has anyone minded a child from Slovakia before and can they recommend any good resources/websites please?

Thanks

Jac x

sarah707
02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
This looks like an interesting website and radio station!

http://www.funkidslive.com/features/fun-around-the-world/slovakia/

I would ask parents - they might have dual language books etc.

How about a 'round the world' theme in the summer stopping off at various holiday destinations including Slovakia. You could visit the local travel agents for brochures etc :D

Trpta108
02-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I look after a little girl from Slovakia. It might be an idea to ask the parents for some photos, recipes or a few key words translated(partnership with parents:)). You could then talk with the pre-schoolers about the photos, make the recipes and learn a few words together in Slovakian.:)

JumpingJacks
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I look after a little girl from Slovakia. It might be an idea to ask the parents for some photos, recipes or a few key words translated(partnership with parents:)). You could then talk with the pre-schoolers about the photos, make the recipes and learn a few words together in Slovakian.:)

I've briefly discussed with mum but they are now in Slovakia until the baby starts at the end of August. So left to my own devices now lol. Will ask when they return though, thank you

JumpingJacks
02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
This looks like an interesting website and radio station!

http://www.funkidslive.com/features/fun-around-the-world/slovakia/

I would ask parents - they might have dual language books etc.

How about a 'round the world' theme in the summer stopping off at various holiday destinations including Slovakia. You could visit the local travel agents for brochures etc :D

Thank you Sarah that link looks great! I did around the world last summer holidays and the kids loved it so I think that would work well!

jaswinder bedi
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Hi I used to have Czech and polish children, with no ENGLISH at all. This is fantastic thing i borrowed talking pen, it's a chart with pen with battery with sensor. Any language you wish to learn just touch the pen on the language you wish to learn. you can loan them from the early years team, the children centre or from your local school. Or you could talk to the parents and get some main tips using their language good luck with it. :D:thumbsup:

mrs_scottydog
02-07-2012, 10:48 PM
I used to look after a slovakian child. I found a dual language book on Amazon which I read to him in English and sent home so that mum could read it in Slovakian to him. I also borrowed some dual language books from them aswell.
I also got mum to give me a list of a few useful slovakian words and their translation so that I could put them up in my house. Hx

JumpingJacks
03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi I used to have Czech and polish children, with no ENGLISH at all. This is fantastic thing i borrowed talking pen, it's a chart with pen with battery with sensor. Any language you wish to learn just touch the pen on the language you wish to learn. you can loan them from the early years team, the children centre or from your local school. Or you could talk to the parents and get some main tips using their language good luck with it. :D:thumbsup:

Thanks that sounds fab will have to ask my local team if they have these!

JumpingJacks
03-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I used to look after a slovakian child. I found a dual language book on Amazon which I read to him in English and sent home so that mum could read it in Slovakian to him. I also borrowed some dual language books from them aswell.
I also got mum to give me a list of a few useful slovakian words and their translation so that I could put them up in my house. Hx

Thanks you i've ordered a couple of books from ebay, haven't checked amazon yet, so will give that a go too! i've just been looking at making some basic cards for around the house. Thank you