PDA

View Full Version : diversity

littlebumbles
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I've just had my first inspection and got an overall rating of satisfactory, which i was disappointed with as i felt i'd worked really hard over the last few months. The inspector said she really wanted to give me a good but there wasn't enough evidence of equality and diversity. Unfortunately i live in an area where we don't have a multi cultural community and very few people with disabilities.Could someone please help me in how best i can improve/include this??

thanks
amanda

LittleLegsCM
01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
You could have posters/ pictures in your play area of people of different race or different ways (languages) of saying hellp and goodbye?

Dollies of different skin colour?

do any of your children that you care for have any disabilities? I think is a good example and obviously its something you already deal with.

doing a special activity when it comes to other religion celebrations and then recording it in your file?

cant think of anything else at the mo, sorry x

blue bear
01-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Puzzles, photos and photos showing different cultures and disabilities.
Toys, dolls happy street playmobil people with different coloured skin disabilities glasses etc

Books of cultures religions etc, stories with people with differnet disabilities or cultures

Celebrate festivals from around the world, take photos of what you have done as evidence

Welcome poster in different languages

Dressing up clothes material shoes

tulip0803
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a multi language welcome poster and pictures of different children of different races and disabilities. African rag dolls. Soft globe. Happy land people and the little people bus with a wheelchair. A bear in a wheelchair. Puzzles with people with different skin tones. Ethnic baby born. Handa's surpise story sack that I have made. Various books both fiction and factual. Dressing up clothes (bought proper Indian outfits from Ebay for a few pounds). Chopsticks, chinese bowls and spoons. A lovely story about adoption.

We celebrate different things from around the world with a menu to go with it.

I look for things in boot fairs, ebay and charitiy shops and just collect them when I see them. You don't have to spend a fortune just keep your eye out for them.

christine e
02-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Don't forget to be non stereotypical eg have jigsaws, books etc that are not stereotypical of men and women firefighters, male childminder, female refuse collector

jumping j
02-07-2012, 06:46 AM
It can also be down to things like different types of cutlery and seating for different ages, left and right handed scissors or different scissors for different abilities, wax crayons, pencil crayons, felt tips etc.

If you have a couple of Happyland or Littlepeople sets they usually contain a variety of different raced characters, the school and olympics sets also have people in wheelchairs.

In your diary mark in a couple of festivals, divali, hannukah, chinese new year etc. and do a craft activity and story during the week

miffy
02-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Don't forget to be non stereotypical eg have jigsaws, books etc that are not stereotypical of men and women firefighters, male childminder, female refuse collector

If you search google images you can find lots of non stereotypical pictures - print them off and make them into a book of your own.

Other than that, Fireman Sam now has a female colleague, Penny and the Balamory stories feature soemone with a disability so you don't have to spend a fortune to get resources.

Miffy xx