PDA

View Full Version : Absence of leave for 3 yr olds at nursery

JueQ
01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Can anyone answer a question for me. I recently took my 3 yr old out of school for 1 day to attend a function which would have left me unable to collect him at lunchtime. He's only at nursery and not legally obliged to attend school because of his age. I know the school has rules and regs and paperwork needs completing but I wasn't happy at having a letter sent home requesting permission for authorised absence at the school. I told the school in person before my child missed the day so they were informed of his whereabouts. Is it a legal requirement for me to complete this paperwork considering his age, or just a formality and me be polite in doing so. Everyone keeps saying I must complete the form which isn't a big deal but I don't see why I should get anyone's permission to take my 3 yr old somewhere.

Bluebell
01-07-2012, 12:02 PM
seems strange to me to at pre-school age - perhaps its just in their policies that this is what they do or perhaps is to do with any funding they are claiming for the 3 year old place?

JueQ
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't know to be honest but it annoys me when I have to explain every action of my week when my child is only 3. Other parents have lied and said their child was ill or didn't sleep well etc. I think I will be doing the same next time. There is nothing on the LEA website or Education Act 2002 regarding 3 yr olds. I know I'm probably being pathetic and stubborn but I don't like someone telling me I can't do something with my 3 yr old child without their permission! :angry:

wendywu
01-07-2012, 12:16 PM
They dont legally have to start school until the term after they are 5 anyway.

So i see no reason why you have to fill this in at all :panic:

FussyElmo
01-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't know to be honest but it annoys me when I have to explain every action of my week when my child is only 3. Other parents have lied and said their child was ill or didn't sleep well etc. I think I will be doing the same next time. There is nothing on the LEA website or Education Act 2002 regarding 3 yr olds. I know I'm probably being pathetic and stubborn but I don't like someone telling me I can't do something with my 3 yr old child without their permission! :angry:

When you start our school at 3 the parents are told that the nursery is treated exactly the same as the rest of the school. So although its not a legal requirement we should request the day off. This will be refused and then shown as an unauthorised absence.

wendywu
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Our local nursery does not ask for this :panic:

Roseolivia
01-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I took Rose out of nursery a few times last year to have days away in the caravan and told the nursery, nothing was said.

The Juggler
01-07-2012, 02:18 PM
some LA's are now asking early years settings for proof of attendance and then claiming back NEG funding from providers where the children didn't attend. So, it maybe for this reason??

rickysmiths
01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
When you start our school at 3 the parents are told that the nursery is treated exactly the same as the rest of the school. So although its not a legal requirement we should request the day off. This will be refused and then shown as an unauthorised absence.

This is very very wrong. How can a school say they will not authorise any absence?? What if there was a family funeral or a music exam (part of their education) or some other perfectly genuine reason for a child at your school to miss a day that should be authorised. I would have a very big argument with your schools seeming blanket Policy.

rickysmiths
01-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I think a lot of schools may be asking for this as a way of getting parents into good habits for the future.

If it was me I would have written a simple letter ahead of the event explaining why my child was not going to be at school that day.

peanuts
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
think our nursery gets treated the same as the school.

i send the letter in and couldnt care less it it is authourised or not, when we took the last week off school due to price the kids went as unauthorised absence. tough cookies.

on the other end, i emailed the head teacher at my daughters school (s3) to say that she would be missing from school for the last 2 days due to swimming in the scottish nationals, e-mail back straight away granting appropriate absence. Nice letter arrived yesterday wishing her well and proof of authorised absence and granting of house points.

Pipsqueak
01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Can anyone answer a question for me. I recently took my 3 yr old out of school for 1 day to attend a function which would have left me unable to collect him at lunchtime. He's only at nursery and not legally obliged to attend school because of his age. I know the school has rules and regs and paperwork needs completing but I wasn't happy at having a letter sent home requesting permission for authorised absence at the school. I told the school in person before my child missed the day so they were informed of his whereabouts. Is it a legal requirement for me to complete this paperwork considering his age, or just a formality and me be polite in doing so. Everyone keeps saying I must complete the form which isn't a big deal but I don't see why I should get anyone's permission to take my 3 yr old somewhere.

I would write back remininding them that nursery is NOT compulsory and you, out of courtesy, verbally informed the staff that you/your child was not attending that day and that whilst you appreciate the intention of the letter (ie encouraging good attendance) what you do not appreciate is the FORMAL nature.

or failing that just ignore the bureaucratic twonks!

Chimps Childminding
01-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Its not as if they don't get paid when the child isn't there :angry: It is so long since any of mine were at Nursery I don't know how it works but it does seem a bit extreme :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
01-07-2012, 06:20 PM
[/COLOR]

This is very very wrong. How can a school say they will not authorise any absence?? What if there was a family funeral or a music exam (part of their education) or some other perfectly genuine reason for a child at your school to miss a day that should be authorised. I would have a very big argument with your schools seeming blanket Policy.

Sorry I didnt make myself clear they dont refuse for funerals etc in fact compassionate leave is granted just if the child is too upset to attend school they dont ask you to request the time off. Anything educational also has a special authorisation. I just mean for holidays, day trips etc :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry I didnt make myself clear they dont refuse for funerals etc in fact compassionate leave is granted just if the child is too upset to attend school they dont ask you to request the time off. Anything educational also has a special authorisation. I just mean for holidays, day trips etc :thumbsup:

but I just don't understand how they can do that.... authorise or not... seeing as something isn't compulsory....
Unless they get the parent to sign something to this effect before being given the 15hr funding.....

I totally get the the mindset of it however to implement it against something that is not compulsory (and people going along with it) rocks my lil' brain cells....:D

mummyMia
01-07-2012, 07:29 PM
My son's nursery was very strict about absences last year. Apparently there are not enough funded nursery places for all three year olds in my area. I was told that if he had any unauthorised absences he would lose his place to the next child on the waiting list :(

FussyElmo
01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
but I just don't understand how they can do that.... authorise or not... seeing as something isn't compulsory....
Unless they get the parent to sign something to this effect before being given the 15hr funding.....

I totally get the the mindset of it however to implement it against something that is not compulsory (and people going along with it) rocks my lil' brain cells....:D

Its not the 15 hours funding but its still not compulsory. Our children go full time.

We sign an agreement when we enter the school and Im sure (naughty mum that I am doesnt actually read them - fourth child there) one of them mentions authorised/unauthorised absences.

Pipsqueak
01-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Its not the 15 hours funding but its still not compulsory. Our children go full time.

We sign an agreement when we enter the school and Im sure (naughty mum that I am doesnt actually read them - fourth child there) one of them mentions authorised/unauthorised absences.

is it full time nursery or full time school? sorry am getting confused lol!

I don't sign the parent agreements - learnt my lesson there.. the school want blood from the parents with little return respect!

FussyElmo
01-07-2012, 08:39 PM
is it full time nursery or full time school? sorry am getting confused lol!

I don't sign the parent agreements - learnt my lesson there.. the school want blood from the parents with little return respect!

Its full time nursery in a school. But we are told that they expect the same from nursery as the rest of the school.

I suppose you would call it preschool but it doesnt use the funded hours you enter nursery in the sept as long as you are 3 before the 31st aug. It used to confuse me too as preschool around here is mainly for children who are probably 2, 2 and 1/2, 3 and then they go to nursery unless they miss the cut off point :thumbsup:

JueQ
01-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I will ask tomorrow if it's policy. To be honest, we had a weeks holiday recently and to be courteous, I requested and completed the form. I just refuse to for a day off. Different matter when they're all on strike and we're told we can't take them! btw, it's the nursery part of the school the children can attend when they turn 3. My child will be full time in September and will have only just turned 4. I was told by the head I didn't have to send him full time if he wasn't ready as it wasn't a legal requirement, yet they send home this form when we take the day off even after I've told them before hand what it's for.

Bridey
01-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Sounds to me that they use the same computer system for the nursery as the school and the admin staff treat the pupils all the same regardless of their age :huh:

JueQ
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I checked with our LA and it's them and not the school that request the paperwork.