PDA

View Full Version : Help - what to pay an assistant???

Heaven Scent
29-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I am in the process of registering an assistant who has just turned 18 and is has almost completed her NVQ 2 and made a start on NVQ3 she is splitting her placement between here and a special needs post in a primary school - I am in a bit of a quandary about what to pay her - 18 yr old apprentices earn £2.60 ph & National Minimum wage for her age is £4.98 - what would pay her???

I want her to start ASAP - so am worried she could be put off

rickysmiths
29-06-2012, 03:28 PM
If she is doing her work experience as part of her Level then you don't pay her as it is part of her course. i have a mum who has just finished a Level 3 and had to complete 200 hours work placement as part of her course and she wasn't paid to do it.

If you have to pay her the min you can pay is min wage and if she earns more than a certain amount a week, I think it is around £100pw you will have to employ her and pay her tax, NI and do a pay slip with this info on, sick pay and a min number of days holiday a year, I think currently 38 including BH. You need to look on the HMRC web site to see.

Heaven Scent
29-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh Total People, Job Centre & HMRC website NVQ/apprentice is £2.60 and should be paid.

I am an NVQ assessor but I am not her assessor and have agreed to assist her with her course and am registering her as assistant

So the apprentice rate does apply for definite.

She will only be here a few hours per week