PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any ideas for removing the smell of wee from carpet???

stargazer1
29-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Mindee had an accident on Wednesday, and then another yesterday, both on my living room carpet. I cleaned them both as I normally would, blotted it up as much as I could get out, then used a solution of washing powder and fabric conditioner to clean it then thought no more about it. Came downstairs this morning and was nearly sick! My whole house smells like a mens public toilet!:eek: I have the inlaws coming to babysit tonight and really dont want them sitting in this smell. I've never smelt anything like it, and I've had a fair few accidents in this house I can tell (kids, not me!! :laughing:) Any ideas please?????? xxx

Bridey
29-06-2012, 07:21 AM
It may have soaked into the underlay :(

I've no suggestions, sorry - I made sure I bought a house with wooden floors! I hope someone else can help.

angeldelight
29-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh sorry apart from taking the carpet up I've no idea :laughing:

There must be something that would help though,I hope someone has an idea

To be honest though you might still always have that lingering smell

Think the carpet might have to be replaced it might never dry out if it's gone through to underlay

Angel xx

Toothfairy
29-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Apart from shampooing the carpet, the only other thing I can think of is to sprinkle the area with Bicarb of Soda, leave it over night to soak up any smells and then hoover it up the next morning.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Angela234
29-06-2012, 07:39 AM
I keep a spray from the pet shop in for cats wee odour my cats go though stages of wee or spraying and it stinks so if nothing else works perhaps you could try this they do say soak the carpet down to the underlay with it.

linda2girls
29-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Diluted white vinegar sometimes works. For cat wee, I use the Rug Doctor Urine spray but that's about £5 a bottle.

Linda.

tash 1
29-06-2012, 08:15 AM
On top of all other suggestions I would buy oust spray eliminates odour not just mask it
Tashx

migimoo
29-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I had this problem with my son bedwetting-at Pets at Home they sell a solution for pet urine/vomit smells, I can't remember the name but it's in a big white bottle with red and black lettering.
You literally pour and drench the area completely and just leave it to dry-when dry the smell's gone...magic stuff!!

lyla's mum
29-06-2012, 08:20 AM
I would suggest Bicarb too, use it to get rid of lots of smells here!

Mouse
29-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Are you sure there haven't been any other places where mindee has had an accident and yo haven't realised?

One of mine tiddled on the floor a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned it up, used carpet shampoo etc and thought that was it. It was only when I sat on the floor near the bookcase that I discovered she'd tiddled there as well :eek:

angeldelight
29-06-2012, 09:24 AM
You can use one part vinegar and one part water,put in a bottle and shake ,it will get rid of the smell then clean again in the normal way

Hope you get it sorted let us know what worked

Angel xx

green puppy
29-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I blot it up and then pour neat white vinegar over the spot, leave until it stops bubbling and blot with paper towel. The smell of vinegar is gone by the morning and there is usually no smell or wee stain.

The Juggler
29-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Apart from shampooing the carpet, the only other thing I can think of is to sprinkle the area with Bicarb of Soda, leave it over night to soak up any smells and then hoover it up the next morning.

Good luck :thumbsup:

was going to suggest teh same, some bicarb honey. I use the antibac spray on mine and the smell usally gets covered. Teh main thing is to to get it as dried as possible first. Can you borrow a vax or a steamer from someone?

Rebecca Foster
29-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi

I would suggest going to your neaest sainsbury's and hiring a rug doctor for the day, as it deep cleans. This may be the better than buying loads of products. Other than this, i too have no idea..... sorry.

Good Luck
:thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
29-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Wood flooring :D

blue bear
29-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Put chalk down, soaks up the smells like magic.

Bumblez
29-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I've got a spray called 'Simple solution' from large pet stores i.e. Pets at home or on-line. Brilliant stuff! I used it when I had cats years ago that had accidents and to freshen the carpets after the dog laying on them all day. Completely takes the smell out of carpets etc immediatley, where other products just smeared it in deeper! Now I always keep a bottle for any pee and sick accidents. Hope that helps

stargazer1
01-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Thank you all. Well I covered the area in bicarb of soda. Rubbed it in and left overnight. Didnt make much diff to be honest, a bit better but not fab. So I scrubbed the area with carpet shampoo, then sat there with the hairdrier on it so it didnt go damp. I still think I can smell it but hubby thinks Im going mad. Im obssessive about smells, once I think there is a smell somewhere I can smell it all the time. So fingers crossed it will fade eventually. Mindee is coming back tomorrow, if he does it again I will probably cry! :laughing:

angeldelight
01-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Thank you all. Well I covered the area in bicarb of soda. Rubbed it in and left overnight. Didnt make much diff to be honest, a bit better but not fab. So I scrubbed the area with carpet shampoo, then sat there with the hairdrier on it so it didnt go damp. I still think I can smell it but hubby thinks Im going mad. Im obssessive about smells, once I think there is a smell somewhere I can smell it all the time. So fingers crossed it will fade eventually. Mindee is coming back tomorrow, if he does it again I will probably cry! :laughing:

Glad you seemed to have sorted,I'm the same with smells I get paranoid :laughing:
Hope it does not happen again

Angel xx

gegele
01-07-2012, 08:45 AM
if it happen again do put loads of kitchen towel on it and walk on it, danse....to try to suck up all liquid before trying to clean it.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Rubybubbles
01-07-2012, 08:57 AM
bicarb mixed 50/50 with water as a spray, saturate the area leave over night and hoover when dry. I also use the dettol spray stuff (antibac one £3 per tin:eek:)

I have a 14 week old puppy:thumbsup: this worked a treat when she wasn't house trained (and I googled everywhere possible for best results ha)

Bumblez
02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Glad to hear you're getting it under control! I am exactly the same about smells and my husband thinks the same lol. Would definitely recommend giving Simple solution a try though. It is one of a few things that are on the market that will completely take away animal urine smells so they don't go back and sent the house etc again! :)