PDA

View Full Version : nuts

little stars ch
28-06-2012, 01:18 PM
ive boy coming to me who has a nut allergy but no pen for it it happened twice in 6 year with actual nuts mum says and doesnt have an allergy nut traces !! because am new to minding and never had a child with this allergy what information do i need to keep on me at all times when the child in my care about this he also has an allergy to antibiotics

miffy
28-06-2012, 08:11 PM
You'll need details in writing from mum on exactly what he is allergic to and what symptoms he shows if he has an allergic reaction and what action you must take.

You'll need to have this information plus his drs details with you and mums signed permission to seek emergency advice or treatment.

You'll also need to make sure others are aware of his allergies if you visit other cm's or groups (ask mums permission to share this info)

Miffy xx

little stars ch
28-06-2012, 08:19 PM
You'll need details in writing from mum on exactly what he is allergic to and what symptoms he shows if he has an allergic reaction and what action you must take.

You'll need to have this information plus his drs details with you and mums signed permission to seek emergency advice or treatment.

You'll also need to make sure others are aware of his allergies if you visit other cm's or groups (ask mums permission to share this info)

Miffy xx

i have a email from mum with this on could i use this or is wriiten information better thankyou

jaswinder bedi
28-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi my son has sevier nut allergy, and lots of different food allergy too. So I alway hav to give in writing, with doctors detail and what he can eat and what he can't. Also he need medication prescribed by the doctor and always carry antihistamine along with epi pen. you may well not need this, but in case of emergency. it's best to request from mum and get signed on the written agreement document. Also request mum see if you could be trained by the child's nurse, how to use epi pen make an appointment,. Surely will be very useful to cover your back.

I had to go through this once it will be ok.:thumbsup:X

bunyip
28-06-2012, 08:47 PM
For information, have a look at the Food Standards Agency website and a book called Allergies - a parents' guide, which gives a good overview of the issues. Seek medical advise periodically, as medical evidence and theory is constantly changing, so any book can be out of date to a degree as soon as it is published. Your local environmental health officer can advise too.

You need as much information as possible in writing from mum about what he is not allowed, and agree an effective food management system which prevents him from coming into contacts with allergens, as well as an emergency procedure for the worst case scenario.

An email should be ok, so long as it contains all the relevant info. Get mum to sign the printout as a precaution.

I would still avoid nut traces and be ultra-careful. eg. Don't reuse knives that have had peanut butter on until they've been through a hot dishwasher, not just a quick wipe with a dishcloth. Seriously, some people are so sensitised they can react to nuts in the same room, or touching a person who has eaten nuts.

Be aware of non-food products that may contain allergens, such as soaps, cosmetics, glues, paints, etc. Also, learn the relevant ingredient names. eg. peanut oil may be listed as "groundnut oil" or "arachis oil". This goes for all allergens: they frequently have less-than-obvious ingredient/product names.

Also ask mum if she has sought proper medical diagnosis/testing. A lot of people try to diagnose or go through 'alternative' methods of diagnosis, which may vary in their true reliability.

I note you say he doesn't have a pen (I assume this means Epipen/autoinjector). There can be 3 reasons why someone doesn't have an Epipen, and you need to know which applies:-

They don't actually need one.
They probably need one but have never been diagnosed.
They really do need one, but can't be bothered to carry it. (And yes, some people really do have this attitude to life-saving medication.)

I should also carry all this allergy information (including the info about antibiotics) everywhere on an 'emergencies' card. You'll need this if he has an accident or any reason to be taken to hospital/doctor.

Whatever mum's approach is, you have to get all the information you need to do your job and provide the best possible care. At the same time, you have to take the view that the little one is a unique and complete child, and not just treat them as an "allergy on legs". if you see what I mean.