PDA

View Full Version : Late collection

LittleLegsCM
28-06-2012, 08:38 AM
At what point do you start charging for late collections??

I have a parent who is late at every collection. It's only about 10/15 minutes each time and sometimes only 5 minutes but there's never an apology and just comes strolling down the pathway without a care in the world. She collects (or should collect!) at 9am (LO who gets dropped off at 7am with older brother) & 5pm (LO & after schoolie) but it never happens.

I've just added up last weeks late minutes an it totalled just over an hour & half. I know it's only a few minutes each time but obviously it builds up over the week so should I be adding this to the next invoice or is this something that I should just accept as a CM? (As I said its not the odd occasion, it's every pick up)

BucksCM
28-06-2012, 08:45 AM
It's obviously bothering you....you have tallied up last weeks "lateness"...I would have a word and let them know that they need to keep to times or they will be charged accordingly...ie 1 1/2 hours at the overtime rate. Tell them that you won't charge last weeks but if it continuses then you'll have to.
Or if after talking to them and finding out that they can't do it and need the extra time, change the contract to show this and ammend your fees too.

I had a family who booked to finish at 6pm. Did tell me that it would be tight. But pick ups ranged from between 6.15 and 7pm!! I sat mum down and we discussed it... I ammended contract and charged more.

LittleLegsCM
28-06-2012, 08:58 AM
To be completely honest, I think it's the inconsiderate side (if thats the right word) of it that bugs me rather than the money side. how she walks down the pathway like she's going for a stroll round the park and then looks surprised when the boys already have their shoes on and bits ready to leave.
I hate being late for appointments and things like that so to be late everyday (twice a day) would really stress me out.

Yes, I know, I'm a miserable cow! :p

sarah707
28-06-2012, 09:02 AM
No you are not miserable! You are right - it's your time she is eating into.

If it's the money - call her in to review the contract and explain the hours are clearly not working for her.

If it's the time - a contract review might make her see that she is not fulfilling her side of the agreement.

Hth :D

Bridey
28-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I would add the extra time at the enhanced rate to the next invoice and very politely say something like - "I've noticed you are having trouble picking the children up at the contracted time. I charge higher rate fee for late collections so would you like me to amend your contract to avoid you having to pay this again in the future?"

stargazer1
28-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I dont really have the answer but I have one set of parents the same so I sympathise. Not once have they collected on time. Always a few minutes late. I too found myself adding up the lateness ad saying "well over a month its an extra couple of hours" so last week I added their overtime to the invoice, not at an enhanced rate, just normal rate additional hours. Dad turned up on Tues, when payment was due Mon, with a cheque (which then is going to take me at least three days to clear) in an envelope. When I opened it, they had sent a cheque for the amount minus the overtime!! I have done this week's invoice with "balance carried over from invoice dated 20th June ......". If same thing happens next week, I will be calling them in for a meeting about it. Its not so much the time, its just that I feel taken advantage of. Expecially when mum is 20 mins late, DH comes home from work and said he has just passed her coming out of the supermarket, so shes going to do her shopping in my "free" time so she doesnt have to take LO with her. Its more the "making a point" for me than the money. Hope you get it sorted x

oxfordshirecm
28-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't mind parents being occasionally late but I agree with you all it's the principle they don't seem to think about the fact that you have your own life to get on with and your own children to deal with still after they have collected theirs late. I am really lucky with my current parents as they always phone if they are going to be late to apologise and it's normally for a valid reason too.