PDA

View Full Version : What would you do???

LittleLegsCM
28-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Morning all, (sorry, did originally put ladies but I know we have a few lovely men too :) )

so one of my parents has finally given me my questionnaire back (1 so far in a month of them having it!) and on the activity question shes put she wants me to do more arts & craft activities.

I have her lil girl (20mths) mon & tues 9-3. She doesnt have breakfast before she arrives because apparently shes a late riser so mum thinks its too early to feed her, so Ive always given her breakfast once she arrives. she is quite a slow eater so it can sometimes take her upto an hour to eat her cereal taking it to 10am.

Within the 2 days, we always try to do at least 1 art & craft activity but obviously with such little time and making sure we get out and about too its not always possible every week (theres also the afternoon school run too so that kills another 30/45 minutes).

So has anyone got any ideas as to how I could fit in more arts & craft stuff?? Although, if anyone here has ever gone through my pictures on my FB page (which mum is a liker of so can see what we get up to!) you'll see we do do quite a bit already :rolleyes:

I'm going to ask mum next week when she arrives monday what else she would like me to do but I just thought Id find out what you lovely people would do if given the situation?

Bridey
28-06-2012, 07:20 AM
One art & craft activity in two days with a 20 month old is adequate in my mind. You could explain to mum that, although you have taken her comment on board, 2 days is a short period of time in which to fit all the wonderful activities that you provide for her LO. Although LO may not be bringing reams of artwork home, she is taking part in many other varied activities designed to develop her imagination and motor skills - amongst others.

You also believe that arts & crafts should be done by the child and not the adult so, at this stage, she is still developing and what she can produce will be rather limited at this stage but will become more varied as she gets older.

You could tell her that LO has free access to crayon and paper at all times but chooses to do other activiities such as ...

I would endeavour to try and do something once a week though - just take a few minutes once a week to plan and prepare something. If its something that can't be taken home then send home a photo of the activity and the finished result.

sarah707
28-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I would give some info about the process being more important than the end product!

So the child's exploration of glue might take up an hour... with nothing to show at the end of it but the child has been creative. Maybe take a photo and 'big it up' to mum about the child's learning experiences.

hth :D

eddie
28-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I think parents expect to get lots of beautiful pictures at the end of each day and they have to be educated that the process is often more fun than the end product for the child. We do alot of sensory activities such as gloop,playdoh, coloured rice, sand and water play which doesnt have an end result.

Don't know what others think but I would try to tackle the hour spent over cereal problem. Perhaps reduce the portion or set a time limit because I don't think I would leave a child eating for that long.

BuggsieMoo
28-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I think parents expect to get lots of beautiful pictures at the end of each day and they have to be educated that the process is often more fun than the end product for the child. We do alot of sensory activities such as gloop,playdoh, coloured rice, sand and water play which doesnt have an end result.

Don't know what others think but I would try to tackle the hour spent over cereal problem. Perhaps reduce the portion or set a time limit because I don't think I would leave a child eating for that long.

Exactly what I was thinking. An hour spent eating is a considerable amount of time. Cant be long after her breakfast she is due a snack and lunch. How does she eat these?

Tealady
28-06-2012, 11:46 AM
As long as you consider their feedback and then provide them with your own in a poilte and professional manner, just because a parent puts feedback in your questionairre doesn't mean you have to do what they say.

LittleLegsCM
28-06-2012, 12:22 PM
It doesn't always take her that long but it can take her a while.
We do have food issues with her unfortunately. We've (mum & i) spent a lot of time trying to stop her from ramming in all her food at once and then choking herself (which was happening a lot!) mum thinks she's got into that habit watching her dad eat lol. Most other meals she has to have individual pieces to stop her forcing it in so I think she now automatically eats her cereal slower too.

Once the initial food issue is sorted and she can 'trusted' to eat safely then I'll tackle the time thing :)

rachelle
28-06-2012, 07:05 PM
It could be that she really appreciates the art work and is saying more of the same in the same way I say I need more chocolate. Sometimes parents think they have to put something in that box!

miffy
28-06-2012, 07:35 PM
It could be that she really appreciates the art work and is saying more of the same x!

That is what I thought when I read your first post.

Miffy xx

hectors house
29-06-2012, 11:54 AM
It could be that she really appreciates the art work and is saying more of the same in the same way I say I need more chocolate. Sometimes parents think they have to put something in that box! QUOTE

I agree, I had a dad write on my questionaire - "more cakes please" - they already make cakes whenever it is a parents birthday and they all take some home and then more cakes or biscuits for mothers day, easter, Xmas, etc, etc