PDA

View Full Version : parent copy of inspection report?

Bluebell
27-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi Are we supposed to make the inspection copy 'available for parents' or actually give them a copy? Just wondering!
Thanks Jules

Bluebell
27-06-2012, 04:26 PM
doh just read the answer on the front of the inspection report - yes copy for all parents!

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 04:46 PM
doh just read the answer on the front of the inspection report - yes copy for all parents!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

You beat me to it!

You have to give a copy to all current parents but if a prospective parent asks for a hard copy you may charge a fee for it to cover the paper and printing :thumbsup:

I always get my parents to sign and date a slip to say they have had a copy and then i keep it in their folder. The slip not the report!

Its been a long hard day here today and my brain left me a few hours ago and a parent has just rung to say they will be late. Hey Ho.

Bluebell
27-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I've uploaded it onto my parent page - do you think that will suffice?

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I've uploaded it onto my parent page - do you think that will suffice?

No you are supposed to give a paper copy. Its a bore isn't it I have just finished copying mine for two new parent folders for parents who joined me last week. Along with a copy of my 7 page Policy document and copies of all the forms they have filled in for me.

Mummits
27-06-2012, 06:10 PM
No you are supposed to give a paper copy. Its a bore isn't it I have just finished copying mine for two new parent folders for parents who joined me last week. Along with a copy of my 7 page Policy document and copies of all the forms they have filled in for me.

Do you mean we are supposed to provide a copy for any new parents who come along later? I took it to mean to give one to my parents at the time of the inspection (many of whose children would have been present and possibly remarked upon).

I do show new/prospective parents a copy of my latest report and have given them the details of how to look it up online (and some have come along brandishing their own copies), but have never actually checked who has or hasn't got a hard copy or handed out copies myself. Oh dear, do I have another job to do?

Perhaps if I give it out with my revised EYFS blurb nobody will notice :blush:

bunyip
28-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Instructions within the document seem clear: provide a copy to all parents within the setting, and to anyone who requests one. We may make a small charge to the "anyones" but not to the parents. As an aside: we're not allowed to edit the report in any way, so we can't remove our EY number, so it's a convenient loophole for anyone who wants a CM's number for fraudulent purposes, no matter what else we do to try and prevent that happening.

I have a copy bound into my enquirer's guide to my setting, so prospective clients can read it before they do the initial visit.

I had a very odd call from Ofsted as soon as my draft report arrived. They phoned to say I had to send it to parents immediately if possible, and in any case no later than within 4 days. I asked where it said I had to send it within 4 days and they couldn't tell me. We then had a polite argument about the draft report. I could see it was a draft (god knows, I was anxious for the final report to confirm my grade, and I had to sweat for a month awaiting that) but the Ofsted staffer swore blind that the final report was published. I eventually persuaded her to go onto her own organisation's website and search for my report, at which point things went very quiet.

miffy
28-06-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm afraid I did not give all my parents a copy (naughty, naughty me!) - I told them it was published and gave them my EY number (again) so they could read on the website or they could read the copy in the parents folder.

I think thats sufficient - no-one asked to read the copy, whether they went on line or not I don't know. Complete waste of paper and ink printing them all a copy.

Miffy xx

bunyip
28-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm afraid I did not give all my parents a copy (naughty, naughty me!) - I told them it was published and gave them my EY number (again) so they could read on the website or they could read the copy in the parents folder.

I think thats sufficient - no-one asked to read the copy, whether they went on line or not I don't know. Complete waste of paper and ink printing them all a copy.

Miffy xx

Not sure if that's exactly what Ofsted guidelines mean, but I think it's perfectly reasonable. You could 'phone and ask them: they don't all bite.

They do recommend using different ways of communicating with parents appropriately, so I think you could stress that you're making the report available in the way parents want. Why not email the link to the parent and also state that you are happy to provide hard copy on request? Print off the email (only 1 page isn't too much ink and paper) and get parents to sign. Then you have your evidence of compliance.

rickysmiths
28-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Instructions within the document seem clear: provide a copy to all parents within the setting, and to anyone who requests one. We may make a small charge to the "anyones" but not to the parents. As an aside: we're not allowed to edit the report in any way, so we can't remove our EY number, so it's a convenient loophole for anyone who wants a CM's number for fraudulent purposes, no matter what else we do to try and prevent that happening.

I have a copy bound into my enquirer's guide to my setting, so prospective clients can read it before they do the initial visit.

I had a very odd call from Ofsted as soon as my draft report arrived. They phoned to say I had to send it to parents immediately if possible, and in any case no later than within 4 days. I asked where it said I had to send it within 4 days and they couldn't tell me. We then had a polite argument about the draft report. I could see it was a draft (god knows, I was anxious for the final report to confirm my grade, and I had to sweat for a month awaiting that) but the Ofsted staffer swore blind that the final report was published. I eventually persuaded her to go onto her own organisation's website and search for my report, at which point things went very quiet.

I do not 'Edit' my report I just cover the number when I copy it for my parents folder. It is also covered on the Cert which is on display. Ofsted looked at both when I was inspected last year and complimented me on my parent Info Folder and did not say a word about the blanked number. I also balnk the number on any copy a prospective parent is given, though in 12 years of Ofsted Registration I have only been asked twice for a copy.

rickysmiths
28-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Miffy xx

No its not I'm afraid Miffy. You must give all Contracted parents a hard copy of your report. I get mine to sign to say they have received one.

miffy
28-06-2012, 08:03 PM
No its not I'm afraid Miffy. You must give all Contracted parents a hard copy of your report. I get mine to sign to say they have received one.

Oh Ricky I know it's not what Ofsted says I should do - I thought my original reply made that clear.

I have chosen not to give parents a hard copy and, if Ofsted ask, then I'll discuss my reasons with them. Meanwhile I've probably saved a tree (or at least a few branches):D

Miffy xx

hectors house
29-06-2012, 07:28 AM
I do similar - I put a link to the Ofsted inspection website and give details on how to access my report on my newsletter and inform parents that a hard copy is available for them to view at any time.

I also gave the link to a prospective new parent (I hoped I could trust her with my EY number - she works for social services), she enjoyed reading the report on line at home.

I am also now e-mailing policies to parents to save printing costs and get them to sign to say they have received and read the policies.

pinkellifun
29-06-2012, 09:18 AM

To be honest I don't see the point in removing the number anyway. If you are listed with the FIS anyone can search for childminders and their EY number is listed on their details anyway so what is the point. You don't even need to visit a childminder to get the number!!!

Just wanted to add that you click on FIS, search and then click 'latest ofsted report' and hey presto - your EY number!

bunyip
29-06-2012, 03:07 PM
To be honest I don't see the point in removing the number anyway. If you are listed with the FIS anyone can search for childminders and their EY number is listed on their details anyway so what is the point. You don't even need to visit a childminder to get the number!!!

Just wanted to add that you click on FIS, search and then click 'latest ofsted report' and hey presto - your EY number!

True that. Should soon be able to do it from the Ofsted site too, when they start displaying providers' contact details for those who opted into the scheme.

If people are that determined to make fraudulent claims, they'll find a way. HMRC are just going to have to call CMs every time a claim is made quoting their number.

rickysmiths
29-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Our URN are not linked to our FIS information on line or on paper in our area. Our reports are not linked to ours. They were on the old government web site.

Bluebell
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I've e-mailed Ofsted no doubt I will get a response referring me to the paragraph I am querying with no further explanation like last time I asked for clarification on something!!!
I will let you know if I get a response with an appropriate answer.

singingcactus
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
It says we must provide a copy to all parents. It does not say we must provide a printed paper copy of it. Providing an emailed copy, or even an accessible link to it is more than sufficient. You just work with the parents and provide them with a copy in the format they would prefer.

miffy
01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I've e-mailed Ofsted no doubt I will get a response referring me to the paragraph I am querying with no further explanation like last time I asked for clarification on something!!!
I will let you know if I get a response with an appropriate answer.

Look forward to reading that. :D

Miffy xx

francinejayne
01-07-2012, 09:24 PM
It says we must provide a copy to all parents. It does not say we must provide a printed paper copy of it. Providing an emailed copy, or even an accessible link to it is more than sufficient. You just work with the parents and provide them with a copy in the format they would prefer.

this is what I think too! and as Miffy said, I also emailed my parents a copy and also a link to the online version - none of them ever read it anyway!!!

bunyip
02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
So, if Ofsted insist we provide every parent with a paper copy of our inspection report, I guess that's the cue for every CM to start 'phoning Ofsted to demand they send us each a paper copy of the new EYFS.

Does it work like that...............?

miffy
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
So, if Ofsted insist we provide every parent with a paper copy of our inspection report, I guess that's the cue for every CM to start 'phoning Ofsted to demand they send us each a paper copy of the new EYFS.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I like your thinking but I don't think it works like that! :D

Miffy xx

BucksCM
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM

that would be easy...but it's not ofsted who produced the EYFS, it's the DfE...good luck with that!:laughing::thumbsup:

bunyip
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
that would be easy...but it's not ofsted who produced the EYFS, it's the DfE...good luck with that!:laughing::thumbsup:

True that, but we don't produce our inspection reports either.

Perhaps they'll let us....?

No, it definitely doesn't work like that.

Hayley102
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
this is what I think too! and as Miffy said, I also emailed my parents a copy and also a link to the online version - none of them ever read it anyway!!!

I'm with you lot here - I emailed my parents a copy of the report Ofsted emailed me! I never got a paper copy from them so why should I produce paper copies for my parents!!!

Bluebell
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
This was my question to Ofsted - I think I am pretty clear that I know my obligation and I just want clarification on what is acceptable and give examples;

Dear Ofsted

I would like to enquire about my obligations re my inspection report. I understand all parents must have access to the report. Does this mean I can upload it onto my private parent page OR send each parent a link to the report on your website OR do I really have to print of 8 pages as a hard copy for each and every parent? I would prefer not to print it as I have given all my parents access but would like to abide by the specific rules - just not sure what they are so thought I would check,

THIS was my answer;

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry I can advise that the EYFS states “Providers must ensure that copies of the inspection report are provided to all parents”.

I hope you find this information helpful.

pah hah ha! What a useless bit of information - I knew they would just quote stuff at me!

Bluebell
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm taking it copy is sufficient - it does not say paper copy! by e-mail will be fine!

JCrakers
03-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I gave all my parents a copy.....bleeding fortune on printer ink :angry:

Half of them probably never read it and its probably in a pile of papers somewhere

singingcactus
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
This was my question to Ofsted - I think I am pretty clear that I know my obligation and I just want clarification on what is acceptable and give examples;

Dear Ofsted

I would like to enquire about my obligations re my inspection report. I understand all parents must have access to the report. Does this mean I can upload it onto my private parent page OR send each parent a link to the report on your website OR do I really have to print of 8 pages as a hard copy for each and every parent? I would prefer not to print it as I have given all my parents access but would like to abide by the specific rules - just not sure what they are so thought I would check,

THIS was my answer;

In response to your enquiry I can advise that the EYFS states “Providers must ensure that copies of the inspection report are provided to all parents”.

pah hah ha! What a useless bit of information - I knew they would just quote stuff at me!

They are saying you must ensure parents are provided with a copy......they are choosing not to specify in which format, as they clearly do not feel it is that important as long as the parents have a copy - be it electronic, or hard copy.

miffy
03-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Dear Ofsted

THIS was my answer;

Sooooooo helpful! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

bunyip
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I take it they won't specify a printed copy, as that might compromise our/their obligations under diversity policies and Disability Discrimination Act.

So if you have a parent who is unable to read, or is blind, but doesn't read Braille, you might be obliged to provide a copy recorded onto CD as spoken word, perhaps? Which implies Ofsted might be conspiring to infringe DDA if they said everyone must have hard copy. Just a thought.

Not sure what you do if a parent requests a copy in a different language.

Anyway, I think this all supports the argument for providing it in a form that best suits the parents, so printed copy isn't the only option.

rickysmiths
03-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm with you lot here - I emailed my parents a copy of the report Ofsted emailed me! I never got a paper copy from them so why should I produce paper copies for my parents!!!

You never got a paper copy of your Ofsted Report? That is wrong and you should have and it would have come via 'Signature Required' mail.

merry
04-07-2012, 05:42 AM
You never got a paper copy of your Ofsted Report? That is wrong and you should have and it would have come via 'Signature Required' mail.

I never got one either, was told they don't do that any more and the one they emailed was all I'd get.

:)

rickysmiths
04-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I never got one either, was told they don't do that any more and the one they emailed was all I'd get.

:)

Rubbish. I got one last September when I was inspected and I would demand one from them if they said no.

There are still a lot of cms who don't have or use computers.