PDA

View Full Version : The 2 year progress check

sarah707
26-06-2012, 06:22 PM
The purpose of the 2 year check appears to be twofold -
1. To share children’s abilities and successes with their parents
2. To spot problems in children’s learning and development early enough for intervention to be put in place to support the child.

However, there are going to be some challenging issues that all childminders will need to resolve…

• We need to find out when the child’s 2 year check is going to be so we can prepare the document ready for the Health Visitor - this means asking the parents and hoping they remember to tell us or liaising with Health Visitors

• We need to plan time in our already busy schedules to write the progress check

• We need to be up-to-date with our observations, assessments and individual next steps planning for the child so we can put the latest information in the progress check

• The guidance to the 2 year progress check tells us that we must include information about when the child is progressing well and areas where they might be struggling - and I cannot see negative comments impressing parents or making it likely they will show the check to the Health Visitor!

• We do not know at what point during the year we will be writing the 2 year progress check - and, as we know, children’s learning and development can change within a few days or weeks, never mind months. This means the information written for one month might show a concern whereas if we had waited a few weeks we would be able to note the child would be progressing normally.

• The Development Matters guidance document makes it very clear on virtually every page that is not supposed to be used as a check list - so how do we know what we are supposed to be writing?... or what Health Visitors are looking for when they do their checks?

• Parents, I have found over many years of caring for children, are prone to exaggerating their child’s abilities and successes. So how will you tackle it if a parent says a child can do something and you have never seen them even close to achieving it in your provision?

• We have to work closely with parents to write the 2 year progress check. What if you have hard to reach parents who are too busy to get involved? How will you engage them in the process?

• Health Visitors have to make time to read the progress checks we produce. For those childminders who are quite wordy and like to include lots of information, you might find your efforts wasted. You will need clear documentation that supports you with writing a short informative 2 year progress check document which is easily accessible and useful.

• As far as I am aware, once the 2 year progress check is written we do not get any feedback from the Health Visitor and we cannot approach the Health Visitor direct without permission from children’s parents. So we need to reflect on what we might do next to support the child once the check is written.

To prepare yourself for writing the 2 year progress check you will need…
• Procedures in place to prepare and write the check
• An understanding of the types of things that need to be written
• A detailed knowledge of child development at age 2 - 3
• A close working relationship with parents to ask their views
• An awareness of how parents will react to what you might have to write about their child - and ways to support them
• Pre-prepared paperwork for writing the check.

To help you with this, I have written a mini e-book 78 ‘Guidance for the 2 year progress check’.

All mini e-books cost £1.99 and are available by following the PayPal link on my Knutsford Childminding website. You will then need to tell me, in the PayPal notes section, which mini e-book you would like to buy!

:D

rickysmiths
26-06-2012, 07:15 PM
That is really interesting. I went to my Revised EYFS Training last night and was told this about the two year check:

It should be done as near to the second birthday as possible irrespective of when the HV may or may not do the 2 year check (they do not physically do a 2yr check in our area, they send the parents a questionnaire to fill out). It is then given to the parents to keep in their Red book. However it is up to the practitioner to decide if they know the child well enough, if the child has just joined them then the report can be done later but the recommend it be done if possible by 2.5 yrs

The check is only done by the carer the child is with for the longest hours so that could be pre-school or even day nursery and it is only done by one practitioner.

Review children's development in the 3 Prime areas of the revised EYFS so Physical,Personal, Social and Emotional and Communication and Language.

Ensure Parents have a clear picture of their child's development

That it arises from the ongoing observations carried out as everyday practice so LJs That it is based on the skills, knowledge, understanding and behaviour that the child demonstrates consistently and independently.

We have been given a two sided sheet on one side a box for each of the 3 Prime Areas. It tells us to give a brief overview of how the child plays, learns and shows good thinking skills.

It also advises not to list the activities the child engages in but to demonstrate our unique knowledge of the child and celebrate how they engage with experiences and activities and to give examples.

What interests and excites the child
What has the child been proud of
Where have you seen the child deeply engaged
What is unique about this child's play

It is all about using the information we already have in the child's learning journal.

On the reverse of the form is a box for the parents to fill in about their observations of their child, the things they enjoy doing, including positive and challenging issues they my be experiencing with their child at home. We also ask them what they would like use to do to focus on their child's development and to share current use of techniques and strategies that are successful at home to support consistency.

The last box is titled What next? Fill in this section with the child's parent or carer. Identify activities, experiences and support this child will benefit from to ensure their progress from this point. Some of this information will be taken from the next steps in the child's LJ

We we told to keep it simple and factual.

Getting parents input will be interesting.

amanda1309
26-06-2012, 07:33 PM
It looks like every one is reading it differently as I went in our revised training 2 Saturdays ago and we were told it should be done any time after the child's second birthday but before their third.
We were also told that our early years team were going to try and devise a format for the check for our town and we were all going to have to use that one.

moggy
26-06-2012, 07:39 PM
At my training it was said there is no requirement to align with HV yet... it is the desire for 2015 to have the HV and the childcare checks aligned. If the parents choose to share the childcarer's check with a HV it is up to them, HV will not expect to receive it (until 2015) and many will have no time to read it anyway.

sarah707
26-06-2012, 07:46 PM
It sounds very much like different authorities are making up their own rules :laughing:

I can only go by the guidance provided as part of the Eyfs materials on the www.foundationyears.org.uk website.

If you read that guidance it definitely says to wait for the child's 2 year check... not to do it at the start of age 2!!

Interesting feedback guys thank you! :clapping:

It's always good to know what is being said at briefing sessions... keep it coming please! :D

rickysmiths
26-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I know, what they said last night was that the goal was to be working with HV by I think 2016 so they have time to get used to the idea of working with other practitioners :laughing:

I will see if dh can scan and email you the sheet so you can have a look :thumbsup:

loocyloo
26-06-2012, 08:09 PM
in my area, HV do the 2 yr check as soon as the child turns 2, or even the week before! :rolleyes:

LA are going to talk to HV and try and get everyone in line! but said they have until 2015 to do so! we have yet to be given any hard or fast rules about when to do 2 yr check, or what we will have to say in it. currently they are saying it will just be a brief summative assessment that we do anyway!

Cassie
26-06-2012, 08:09 PM
We have also been told the 2 year check can be done at any time in the childs second year and that we only need to pass it on to parents...no mention of health visitors or tying in with their 2 year check...

The Juggler
26-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I did the 2 year old training course (for offering funded 2 year old places) and they have suggested (and I think it's brilliant and simple) that we use the tool provided which has

emergent expected exceeding

levels

we do one at age 24 m one 6 months later and one at 36 months. very simple - different colour highlight pens and backed up with observations in LJ or a full report if you are so inclined. :) This way you see their progress from emergent to exp or exc in that time or you are able to really highlight issues.

christine e
27-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Those 2 year old who will be with childminders under the funded 2 year old scheme will most likely have had their 2 year check with HV and had concern highlighted and then placed with the childminder. Also if a child starts with you (not under the funded scheme) but after they are two you will need to get to know them first before completing the report.

miffy
27-06-2012, 06:44 AM
I did the 2 year old training course (for offering funded 2 year old places) and they have suggested (and I think it's brilliant and simple) that we use the tool provided which has

levels

we do one at age 24 m one 6 months later and one at 36 months. very simple - different colour highlight pens and backed up with observations in LJ or a full report if you are so inclined. :) This way you see their progress from emergent to exp or exc in that time or you are able to really highlight issues.

That sounds interesting - any chance you can share the document?

Miffy xx

Toothfairy
27-06-2012, 07:07 AM
On the 9th July, my Childminding Group have organised a 2hr talk from a local HV.
She is going to go through the 2yr assesment with us.
I will report back :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 07:22 AM
On the 9th July, my Childminding Group have organised a 2hr talk from a local HV.
She is going to go through the 2yr assesment with us.
I will report back :thumbsup:

That sounds OK but the 'report' we do isn't the same as the checks the HV does are they. HV don't use EYFS so I'm not sure how that would actually be of any actual help in writing our report?

Interesting though to hear what they do.

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 07:24 AM

levels

That is interesting but I think I shall stick to one summary at two or as close as and the rest is in my Learning Journal which is where a copy of my 2yr summary will be. I don't want to be doing even more paperwork. I have always been fairy successful identifying developmental concerns even without this new check which to me is just a simple summary of the information I have on the child in their LJ with hopefully some input from the parents recorded as well. It is nothing complicated or difficult and I don't think we need to make it complicated or difficult. Last night we were given a two side A4 sheet by our LA as a suggestion for the way to complete the check, by that I meen to fill in 3 boxes on one side and there is a box on the back to fill in with the parents sign and date. As far as they are concerned this is all we need to do and we do it as close to the date the child is 2, give it to the parents to keep with the child's red book.

If the child is at day nursery or pre-school for more hours than they are with me I don't even need to do it the person they are with for the most hours is the one who will do the report.

Donkey
02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I was told on my briefing session that we need to do the 2 year old check for any child that is not 3 before september 1st

so for instance I have a child who will be 3 on september 3rd, so I will have to do her one!!!!!

even though she will be almost 3, bizzare!!

singingcactus
02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
If you read that guidance it definitely says to wait for the child's 2 year check... not to do it at the start of age 2!!

Interesting feedback guys thank you! :clapping:

It's always good to know what is being said at briefing sessions... keep it coming please! :D

Awesome. All my 2 year olds have already had their HV check, so I guess I don't need to do their assessments lol.

nikki thomson
02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Non of my children had a 2 yr check with HV, and there 4, 6 , and 8 yrs. my youngest dd has never seen a HV not once didn't even know there was such a thing as a 2 yr check. X

blue bear
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Our Hv's don't do checks here. At our briefing the lady got toal confused, not having studied the revised eyfs before the briefing and ended up suggesting the Hv's will write the checks with our imput!

As usual open to interpretation and local 'rules'

loocyloo
02-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Awesome. All my 2 year olds have already had their HV check, so I guess I don't need to do their assessments lol.

thats what i'm hoping :D plus one of mine will be 3 on the 4th september! the rest pretty much all turn 3 by december!

sillybeans
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
We were told to do the report as near to 2.5 years as we can.

There was no mention of tying it in to HV's 2 year cheack at all. We don't seem to have the 2yr check here as no one I know has had one or been contacted about one :huh:

The Juggler
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
That is interesting but I think I shall stick to one summary at two or as close as and the rest is in my Learning Journal which is where a copy of my 2yr summary will be. I don't want to be doing even more paperwork. I have always been fairy successful identifying developmental concerns even without this new check which to me is just a simple summary of the information I have on the child in their LJ with hopefully some input from the parents recorded as well. It is nothing complicated or difficult and I don't think we need to make it complicated or difficult. Last night we were given a two side A4 sheet by our LA as a suggestion for the way to complete the check, by that I meen to fill in 3 boxes on one side and there is a box on the back to fill in with the parents sign and date. As far as they are concerned this is all we need to do and we do it as close to the date the child is 2, give it to the parents to keep with the child's red book.

If the child is at day nursery or pre-school for more hours than they are with me I don't even need to do it the person they are with for the most hours is the one who will do the report.

but Ricky its so simple and really highlights any problems. The tool is 3 columns, emergent, expected, exceeding. Use 3 different colours - 1 at 24 months, 1 at 30m and 1 at 36 months - shows progress or problems easily on one chart.

Pauline could I upload our local tool to the downloads section - there are several pages though? Never done it before so might need a mod to talk me through it. :)

sarah707
03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Pauline could I upload our local tool to the downloads section - there are several pages though? Never done it before so might need a mod to talk me through it. :)

Pauline is the only person who can put things into downloads...

Please send it to her with an explanation if possible and she will pop it in files for you :D

The Juggler
03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Pauline is the only person who can put things into downloads...

Please send it to her with an explanation if possible and she will pop it in files for you :D

ok. will do Sarah. Will send them on Thurs on my paperwork day. thanks

Jods
03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
• Parents, I have found over many years of caring for children, are prone to exaggerating their child’s abilities and successes. So how will you tackle it if a parent says a child can do something and you have never seen them even close to achieving it in your provision?

just for my little bit, as with the old learning journeys I just got the parents to write a P in red ink next to what they thought/seen/know their children could/have achieved, and then explained that I could only highlight it myself if I observed it, so yes I had a lot of P's in my journeys, but only highlighted what I had personally observed x