PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for food

JCrakers
26-06-2012, 01:50 PM
I have 6 afterschool children on Tuesdays and a 3yr old and always do spag hoops or beans on toast as its quick and easy (I only usually do a quick sandwich etc for the school children, parents know I don't have time to cook)
1 child who attends doesn't like bread but will eat toast so this suits him.

Now he is starting on Wednesdays too but I'm finding it hard to think of anything I can serve for 6 children that's quick,easy and cheap as they don't pay for tea's as its usually a sandwich to tide them over until supper at home.

So far Ive only thought of toasted sandwiches. :D
What do you offer for tea?

Helen79
26-06-2012, 02:38 PM
If you don't charge for food and parents know that you don't offer a main cooked dinner then I'd go with doing cold snack type of foods if they kids are going to have dinner at home.
I offer things like fruit, crumpets, toast, yogurt, cereal bars, malt loaf to keep them going til dinner time.

If you want to do them something hot then scrambled eggs with beans, toast or salad is really quick and easy to make. Jacket potatoes cooked in the microwave with cheese on top is easy to do and filling.

mushpea
26-06-2012, 03:08 PM
mine only have snack, ususaly a peice of fruit, fruit bread or biscuits, they dont get too much choice but they will eat if they are hungry

caz3007
26-06-2012, 03:16 PM
We used to have most of the things mentioned and also toasted teacakes or hot cross buns, they used to like these

nipper
26-06-2012, 04:55 PM
At half term when I had lots of schoolies I did the big pitta breads cut in half (for the ones who couldn't manage a whole one) then did bowls of grated cheese, ham, lettuce, cherry tomatoes for them to fill their own. It made lunchtime abit more constructive for them as they could choose the fillings they wanted rather than me just serving it infront of them. I found that six half cut pittas was great for four over fives and a three year old, with absolutely no wastage.:thumbsup:

The Juggler
26-06-2012, 09:46 PM
i just do toast/crumpets with fruit - if they are having dinner later that is plenty :)

if you want to go more adventurous toast/bread with option of picky bits, cucumber, tomatoes, boiled eggs, omlette

but that's it - if they are having a proper meal later :thumbsup:

Bridey
26-06-2012, 11:09 PM
You could even do a small bowl of pasta with a bit of butter and some grated cheese. My mindees also love that microwave popcorn - we all get very excited listening for the pops!

kimlouise25
27-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Pasta with a tomato sauce or getting them to make their on pizzas on either muffins, pitta bead or ready rolled pastry cut up into squares. Kids lover making their own dinner. In the winter you could make homemade soup with the children.