PDA

View Full Version : How does it work if your own children have friends to play?

MrsP2C
25-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a regular arrangement with another mum with our youngest children (both 3) - my son goes to her on a wednesday morning and hers comes to me on a friday morning. They love their little playdate and I'd quite like to carry on with this when I start CM, but wasn't sure if he would count towards my numbers as she's not paying me for childcare?
If I have minded children on the Friday morning I'd obviously tell parents I look after another child but would I need to tell them he's not a minded child?
Also, if my eldest (6) wanted a friend to play or for tea after school, again, would they count towards my numbers?
Thanks
MrsP2C

fionamal
25-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Not sure how Ofsted work but up here inScotland they would count in your numbers as they are still in your care

Bridey
25-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I always thought they would count in your numbers the same way your own children do.

loocyloo
25-06-2012, 07:47 PM
any child under the age of 8 that is under your care counts within your numbers, IF you have paying minded children in your care!

so if you have 2 LO plus your son, then you can't have your sons friend to play unless his mum comes too. ( equally, on the day that your son goes toplay at his friends house, he still counts in your numbers, so you can't have any extra minded children that day )

if your older child wanted a friend to come and play, then yes, they would be counted in your numbers. i used to try and keep an evening a week 'quieter' or not work at all, so my children could still have a friend to play.

IF you were not working, then you can have as many children as you like to play!

MrsP2C
25-06-2012, 09:06 PM
OK thanks that's clear. :)

francinejayne
25-06-2012, 09:43 PM
What about if my hubbie were home - could he be in charge of DS's friend from school so therefore they wouldn't count in my numbers even though DS does count?

bunyip
26-06-2012, 06:01 AM
What about if my hubbie were home - could he be in charge of DS's friend from school so therefore they wouldn't count in my numbers even though DS does count?

I don't think your husband's presence would make any difference under Ofsted's rules governing your numbers.

I have a similar issue when my grandchildren are present. I called Ofsted to enquire as to whether I could say my wife was looking after the grandchildren, whilst I looked after the mindees. Their response was a polite but firm "no". Ofsted consider the CM to be "responsible for" any and all children on the premises at any time when at least one mindee is present.

I'm just about to apply to have her made an 'assistant', which should solve that particular problem. You'd have to ask Ofsted if that would work in your case. It would fix the numbers problem, but I don't know if they'd expect you to have the playmate officially on the books, or just regarded as a 'visitor'.

LittleLegsCM
26-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Their response was a polite but firm "no". Ofsted consider the CM to be "responsible for" any and all children on the premises at any time when at least one mindee is present.

That's different to what I was told. My nan visits every now & then with my 2yo cousin (she is basically her full time carer) I was told that as long as my cousin wasn't left with me (as in my nan didn't 'pop out' while here) then she does not count in my numbers. Same as if my husband was home from work, they said he could be classed as my sons responsible carer (although he's never home on time so doesn't make a difference there! Lol)

However, if your children do have friends round then yes they are classed as part of your numbers as obviously they don't have their parent/carer there.

Surely if every child was your responsibility while in your home/setting, you could potentially never have friends or even other CMs around otherwise you could go way over ratio?!

loocyloo
26-06-2012, 07:26 AM
That's different to what I was told. My nan visits every now & then with my 2yo cousin (she is basically her full time carer) I was told that as long as my cousin wasn't left with me (as in my nan didn't 'pop out' while here) then she does not count in my numbers. that is because they are coming to visit and an adult is staying.Same as if my husband was home from work, they said he could be classed as my sons responsible carer IF DH was assistant that would be ok. i've always been told that MY children count in MY numbers regardless of who they are with/where they are! because shoudl something happen/child be ill, they would be home with me! (although he's never home on time so doesn't make a difference there! Lol)

However, if your children do have friends round then yes they are classed as part of your numbers as obviously they don't have their parent/carer there.

Surely if every child was your responsibility while in your home/setting, you could potentially never have friends or even other CMs around otherwise you could go way over ratio?! as long as any child visiting has their responsible adult there, then they don't count in your numbers.

its is confusing, when my children were younger i used to be constantly counting to make sure i was within my 6!

bunyip
26-06-2012, 07:28 AM
That's different to what I was told.

Expecting Ofsted to be consistent? I've made that mistake too! :ROFL1:

In the end, I just decided it was simpler to get dw listed as an assistant and avoid any uncertainty. All it takes is a variation form, although even the chap at Ofsted described the multi-purpose form as "ridiculous". We decided it was worth putting dw through the first aid course (a useful skill anyway) and licensing her to provide sole care for short periods. Saves waking up a lo and dragging them out in all weathers for school pick-ups.

I make a point of discouraging other family and friends from coming round when I have mindees, though it hasn't entirely sunk in. Sure, I trust them , but I don't expect my clients to, and personally think it's more professional.

I have the opposite problem of keeping family/friends away; funny how people don't believe you're working if you work from home. When I have time one day, I think I might go and sit in their workplace demanding coffee and cake: see how that goes down. :rolleyes:

loocyloo
26-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Expecting Ofsted to be consistent? I've made that mistake too! :ROFL1:

In the end, I just decided it was simpler to get dw listed as an assistant and avoid any uncertainty. All it takes is a variation form, although even the chap at Ofsted described the multi-purpose form as "ridiculous". We decided it was worth putting dw through the first aid course (a useful skill anyway) and licensing her to provide sole care for short periods. Saves waking up a lo and dragging them out in all weathers for school pick-ups.

I make a point of discouraging other family and friends from coming round when I have mindees, though it hasn't entirely sunk in. Sure, I trust them , but I don't expect my clients to, and personally think it's more professional.

I have the opposite problem of keeping family/friends away; funny how people don't believe you're working if you work from home. When I have time one day, I think I might go and sit in their workplace demanding coffee and cake: see how that goes down. :rolleyes:

:laughing: i solved the family issue ... i moved 260 miles away! LOL! although when they come , they come to stay and don't 'get' that i can't just sit down and chat or that i do actually need to play with/feed minded children! :rolleyes: usually its only for a few hours on a friday though, and i only have one LO afterschool and they are easily entertained!